Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Consignment Shop finds! Woo hoo

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

There is a great consignment shop near one of my kids' schools.

We are hosting ThxG in Maine. As I've bored you all with before, we bought it with the contents and that included a ton of grandmotherly china perfect for ThxG. But only higgledy-piggledy crystal. I do have everyday glassware but nothing for dinner. I nearly ran out to WmsSonoma, then I thought.

Hey? Why not used? So I ran over the consignment place.

I cannot believe I found a set of 12. Totally the Grandma vibe, too, perfect with the china. et voila

But wait, that was not the really fun part. While I was there I came across these plates; 2 of each. I cannot wait to put these up somewhere in the Maine kitchen; they match my Turquoise fridge!

Comments (30)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Are the glasses crystal?

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Love the asparagus plate-- and what a lovely and delicate glass!
    What fun to prepare for your first holiday dinner-- love the vintage charm and elegance!

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Love it!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Great finds! And such a perfect home to host Thanksgiving :)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Cool!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Very nice!

So, if the asparagus plate is for eating asparagus, then the other one is for eating...thistle?

• maddielee
    9 years ago

A couple weeks ago there was a thread on the antiques forum with questions about crystal similar to your great find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glassware on antiques forum

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb, I would only know if something were crystal if it came in a box that said so. Educate me.

Marcolo, They're so darn bumpy, I don't think you can eat anything at on them. Maybe a poptart off to one side.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think that, if you flick it with your fingernail and it rings like a bell, it means it's crystal. Also, fill the glass almost to half way, then dip your fingers in the water. Then move your index finger, while wet, around the rim of the glass. If it makes a sound like a musical instrument, it's crystal.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 18:20

• User
    9 years ago

The glasses are Princess House.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Hold it up to light and if you get that rainbow prism effect, then it's crystal.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I'm glad to see you like girly old things. Girly old things are very comforting.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Great finds! They'll add nicely to the uniqueness of your Maine place, I think.
    Lynn

• Bunny
    9 years ago

My mom had two sets of crystal glasses (that had survived the 1906 SF earthquake) that came out for the holidays. I couldn't stop tapping them on the sides for the clear ring.

My daughter now uses them almost everyday in her SF SoMa loft.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Asparagus and artichoke. So yeah, thistle.

The crystal is nice, and for many of us, Thanksgiving is supposed to have a grandma vibe so I think it'll serve well.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I must have old grandma tastes because I adore those glasses and would have bought them also. I have some cute little aperitif glasses that are similar. The plates....not so much now in my current home but would definitely do them if I had a Maine home. Congrats on a great finds.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Love those plates. There's something so satisfying about a great find at a consignment shop!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I only wish we had beautiful items like that in our consignment shops. Enjoy!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well done!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Great finds Mtn. I love the shape of your crystal glasses.

• User
    9 years ago

Fabulous finds, mtnrdredux, a perfect set of glassware, and what I hope will be the first two of your new plate collection! I never think to go in our local consignment shops but believe me when I say that nothing remotely resembling those plates would ever turn up in one :-).

Our youngest son always had great success with costuming for amateur theatricals at the Goodwill and Salvation Army shops.

• voila
    9 years ago

Ooh...Nice! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Voila, and you, too.

Thank you, KSWL, we have a few very nice consignment stores. And yes, we love our Goodwill for plays and for costuming. The kids' schools often give extra credit if you wear a costume for a presentation so we are always going to good will to transform them into one thing or another. We take it home, wash it, wear it, wash it and donate it right back since it is usually not normal attire. I do still regret sometimes, re-donating this fabulous, dashing black velvet cape with a vivid red silk lining and frog closures. But I am sure the next person to find was as tickled as we were and it really had no use offstage.

Thanks Holly-kay. I wondered what shape they are. Water? White wine? They seem to have a sort of spare tire.

Thanks Violet, Fori, Breezy, Annie,Lynn, Nosoccer, Lucy, BBTSX, Maddie, Marcolo and Funky

Javachik, My goodness, how do you know? I looked it up I think you are right.

SueB, Yes, so much so. That's why I was so pleased when it occurred to me I need not to go the dreaded mall!

Linelle, I must need tapping lessons. My crystal here at home is St Louis Appollo Gold. I was curious so I tried the Tibb method and i got nothing. I was a little worried I was going to flick them right off the counter. I have some Waterford bowls and they are downright musical.
    How amazing to have glasses a century plus old! WOw

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I live about three blocks away from my favorite antiques store (specializes in Marine and MCM). Very very dangerous for me. I love crystal and currently don't have any. My gma had Wedgwood Greek key and pinwheel crystal to go with
    I know pinwheel's a common pattern but I still love the geometric shape.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Great find and very nice for your Thanksgiving dinner!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

This thread roused my usually quiescent desire for a set of fine china so I did some googling. Of course the pattern I like the best is $300+ a place setting. Stupid champagne taste. Or maybe like prosecco taste.

• User
    9 years ago

Mtn - Sorry for my abbreviated answer, but my computer is doing strange things lately...

I inherited wine glasses in that pattern from my mother who died in 2004. My friend, who sold Princess House in the 1980s (?), has the same glasses. Since my mother was a great-grandmother and I'm a grandmother, I guess they do have a grandma vibe, but they still seem new to me. :)

• rafor
    9 years ago

Love the plates!! Makes me want to rush right out to a consignment shop I passed today that I haven't yet explored:)

• teeda
    9 years ago

The only thing more fun to me than scoring a consignment/thrift store find is looking at what others get! I love those glasses and think they are perfect for your beach house. The wall plates will look great in your kitchen. Excellent scores!

This post was edited by WMA89 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 19:10

• teeda
    9 years ago

delete double post

This post was edited by WMA89 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 19:09