Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

WWYD? Repaint or choose new curtains?

kathec
14 years ago

My formal living and dining room are open to each other, separated by floor to ceiling columns. They are the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. When we first moved in 18 months ago, I wanted a cooler color as the sunlight is south in the living room and west in the dining room. I started to put BM Palladian Blue on, but it looked too green, so I added BM Wyeth Blue to adjust the color. I hung curtains I brought over from my last house which has a beige, white and gold leaf pattern. The only furniture I had in there was some off white wing chairs. The curtain and wall colors were just OK together, I wasn't totally sold.

Recently I bought some orange tone on tone polka dot slipper chairs from Overstock to stage a rental house we were trying to sell. Now I want to use the orange chairs in this room and the colors are just not working together. From what I can see I can either:

1) repaint the walls a more neutral tone to try to get it to all work together

2) change out the curtains to another color, maybe orange, or white

3) move the chairs into the family room where the adjacent kitchen has gold, green & orange

HELP! We're not big entertainers, but if we have anyone over it's usually during the holidays. I'm going to try to put photos in the body, but if not, I'll link to my flickr acount.

TIA. Kathe

Here is a link that might be useful: Color dilemma

Comments (22)

• augsburgdaisy
    14 years ago

Wow! I love the chairs! I'm not good at this stuff - I come here to learn. So maybe do the opposite of what I suggest! :) I'd do a neutral wall and use blue as accent (pillows, vases, etc.) Paints cheaper! :)

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Hmmm, I think it looks okay, at least in the pictures you posted. That is a beautiful blue. Can you find a picture or some pillow that have both the blue and the orange/gold color together?

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sometimes I think I have design schizophrenia. I like (and buy) so many different styles that I have a hard time marrying the two together. Also I'm fickle too, I change my mind so much that I come to a complete stand still. My LR/DR (Kit & FR to be honest) have been in complete shambles for a few months. I took a bunch of things out to stage that other house, but when it sold I brought everything (pictures, accessories, bedding, furniture) back and just dumped it in these two rooms. I know, shame on me. My DH hasn't bugged me about it, but I know it bothers him to see all the clutter. Of course, he'll never touch it LOL! I guess I'm hoping for some tough love advice to kick my butt into action. So keep the comments and suggestions coming!

Kathe

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

I would change the curtains, to white or a fabric with orange and blue in it. It is too much work to re-paint. Just my thought.

I guess it all depends on how you feel about the paint color?

Great looking chairs, by the way. And they say blue and orange are good together. Blue is across from orange on the color wheel. You could find fabric with both blue and orange for throw pillow to incorporate the two colors into the room.

Maybe do an online search for blue and orange decorating? Good Luck and have fun with it.

• User
    14 years ago

I love those curtains! They're a great match with the chair and they both compliment each other really well. The wall color is pretty but IMHO it's the wrong blue and doesn't work well with the chair and curtain fabrics. You know what I would do? I'd have that khaki tan that's in the curtain fabric color matched and put that on the walls with white trim. Then I'd bring in the blues and maybe even more orange with accessories.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Can you take a pic of the chair, curtains AND wall in one shot?

I have my stairway and 2nd floor landing painted BM Wythe Blue - a bit darker than Palladian. I recently painted a guest bedroom in BM's historical color Ansonia Peach. I don't have a shot of them together, but blue and orange ARE complimentary colors, and it's wonderful to walk up the stars and see the peach room beyond the landing. I think the curtains may be the issue here, not the chair or the paint.

Ansonia peach looks very different at various times of the day and whether it's sunny or cloudy.

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've updated the Flickr with the chair next to the curtains and a big expanse of wall. I'm sorry the quality isn't so great. I only have my cell phone available to take pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: All three elements

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Gee -- I like it!
    I think a tall leafy palm next to the chair on the window side, maybe a print that ties the colors together on the wall...

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

I like the blue/orange but not a fan of the curtains.

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I agree that it's the pattern on the curtains that is not working with chair pattern. I'll add some pictures to the link where I used the chairs and had a solid color curtain in my former rental house. The walls were gold toned, the previous renter had left the curtains behind.

Here is a link that might be useful: staged living room

• User
    14 years ago

I am a neutral wall color gal. I like the walls neutral and then lots of color in my accessories, so my opinion would be to change the wall color.

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm leaning toward changing both the walls AND the curtains. I think I might re-use the curtains in my MB. It's due for a new color scheme. I've had the same color for the last 3 houses.

Now, as for wall color, I'm thinking about the famous Tobacco Road. I'd picked up a sample a couple of weeks ago as a possible family room color. It's not too far off of the color I had in my last living room (which is that rental house I staged). It's a very easy color to use as it goes with a lot of colors. Now, I mentioned my liv/din are one great space, separated by a half columns attached to the wall and full columns. Should I consider the same wall color or maybe go with a deeper version? That being said, should I keep the curtains the same color or a different, coordinating fabric color?

Any thoughts?

Kathe

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In a fit, I put up a huge swath of Tobacco Road on the walls of my dining room. When I had it on a posterboard, I was ok, but I was not in love. It's amazing that on the wall, with the trim, it looks fabulous. Deeper than I thought.

So, I'm convinced, I'm repainting. My decorating budget is limited, so I always try to use what I have first before buying new. I'm a serial accumulator, so I usually have something squirreled away. I have 3 chocolate brown cotton Ritva curtain panels and 2 orange panels (all IKEA) I inherited from my former tenant. Would it look funny to have two different color panels in the living/dining rooms(aka stacked formals)? They're separated by columns. Or should I go out and get enough of one color for all the windows? Which color?

I've got a link for the orange curtains. The close-up pic is closer to the real life color than the long shot. Or you can view the orange on my flickr I linked above.

Thanks!
    Kathe

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange curtains

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I wouldn't get rid of anything. I like all the colors together. Orange and blue are complimentary colors. What I would do is put a blue cushion on the chairs. Great if it could match the curtains but if not the same color as the curtains. That would tie in the curtains and paint color with the chairs

• donnawb
    14 years ago

The curtains aren't working with either.

• nanjean68
    14 years ago

It just could be that the blue isn't going to work in that room. I'm going thru the same thing right now and have samples of practically all of SW and BM blues. None looked right in a room facing south. What looks even worse is the BM Shaker Beige we just put up. Yuck. The best so far has been a color by "Old Martha Stewart formula" SW Rubbed Sage. It is a very light green with a hint of yellow. Very zen. Goes very well with my adjacent livingroom painted BM Richmond Gold. So after all that messing around with blue, I'm going back to the green.

If you decide to keep the blue, how about using white curtains and bedspreads. Blue and white are always nice together. Have fun and don't fret over it too much.

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My3dogs, I really liked your Ansonia Peach. I'm going to get that color strip on my next trip to BM. I've been planning to re-do my entry hall and since I'll have orange accents in my LR, FR & Kit, it might tie in nicely. I want something that is not too deep.

Can't wait to explore, even if I don't end up with exactly that tone.

Thanks for the color inspiration.

Kathe

Kathe

• clax66
    14 years ago

I love your orange slipper chairs and the curtains look great alongside them! Your blue paint is too cool a colour against the warmth of the chairs.

So, yes, I would either remove the chairs or repaint the room. I don't know what else is in your room, but I'm thinking it's much easier to move those chairs! They either need a warmer paint colour, (like BM Bennington gray that isn't really gray at all), or white walls.

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update

I decided to start with repainting. So far I've (mostly) finished my dining room. The table & chairs I have pictured will be replaced by an inherited oblong table and more traditional style chairs that need the seats recovered. I just wanted to show my progress and get some opinions on what to hang on the walls.

I've got before and after photos and different shots with different options on the link below. Scroll to the left for the sequence.

I hung the same curtains I have in the living room to see how the color will work. Please ignore the droopiness. I don't have enough rings. IKEA has been out forever. I need to find some elsewhere.

The top walls are Tobacco Road as mixed by Sherwin Williams. The lower walls are Cabinet Coat 5 parts white to 1 part almond.

I have a dining cabinet and can't decide what to hang above it. I show a mirror & a picture.

For the main wall I show one picture, two pictures exactly the same size in related theme and one single slightly larger framed picture.

So, do you think the fabric works here?

What about the pictures or mirror combos?

Thanks so much for your input.

Kathe

Here is a link that might be useful:

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

In the photo of the walls, curtains and chair the chair seems more mauve than orange as in the picture of the chair by itself. Could you take another photo please where the colors are truer if they weren't in the first mentioned photo?
    If the chairs are more orange then I'm not so sure you couldn't add other elements to bring these colors together to make it all work. The print in the fabric and the style of chairs fit in my brain.
    I have the same shopping style as you do. I buy what I like, which includes many different styles, and find a way to make it all work. And it can work as long as you are brave. It doesn't have to look how you think others will like it. If you like it and think it works and your family isn't giving you an evil eye, than it's right! I'm not into following trends as you might guess by my nickname. I've always been different and always loved being that way even when others have tried to change me. Luckily I'm pretty strong willed in that respect and didn't let them. Well other than the one time when I was ten and wanted a pair of eye glasses in black with a tortoise shell ring around the lense. The clerk hated them and thought they were all wrong for me. I let him talk my Mom into agreeing. Something sooo unlike my Mom. We were from that same mold when it came to having our own styles. Me nor my Mom ever let that happen again. I wound up with the ugliest pair of glasses in a style that was as old as I was, clear frames with silvery blue etched metal accents. YUCK FIFTIES FRAMES....
    {{!gwi}}
    Similar Yummy sixties style. Mine were all black accept for the a bit of the tortoise around the lense.
    {{!gwi}}

So the moral of this story is, If you like the chairs, curtains you'll find a way to make them work. The chairs would be easy to slipcover too.

• parma42
    14 years ago

I absolutely love the new color with the WTs. WTG!

As for the art and mirror, I can't tell the finish on the mirror. As a rule, I'd prefer one mirror and double pics.

Good job.

• parma42
    14 years ago

I'd also start a new post, maybe with a link to your old one.

Some might not see it's an update.