Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mama_sweett

Stain or paint kitchen cabinets?????? What color??

mama-sweetT
10 years ago

We have lived here for ever... Well almost 40yrs...so kitchen was literally falling apart... It is very open from kitchen/eating to our LR... So intricating the space has been a challenge, though i love it being open. We had the cabinets built recently.. They r unfinished as you can see. I don't remember the type of wood... I think birch. We cannot decide to paint them or stain them. Or what color?? We had all white cabinets before, never tired of them, but thinking we might like stained for a change..? I love light & airy rooms though...There is still much to do.. Get rid of popcorn ceilings, lighting, etc etc...We had to do this on a tight budget so black granite look laminate countertops, a free table we turned into an island & have to wait on the rest for awhile..... I just can't decide ...

What's your thoughts?? Any suggestions r needed!!

Comments (4)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

There is very little contrast in your picture, and the room needs some darker tones brought in. I'd consider staining them a medium to dark tone. By a pro. Birch takes some care to stain well.

Then consider adding additional lighting to the room. All I see is the single track fixture, and that's not nearly enough fixtures to provide adequate light.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's hard to see, but if the grain is fine, I would just use a natural stain. Love the cabinets as they are.

Do you already have hardware on there, or what are you planning?

Or is it beech?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I'm partial to natural wood. You can always paint them 10 years from now if they need refreshing or you want a change. I'd do them a color similar to your FABULOUS coffee table. If they are birch, they will gradually darken in the exposure to light, even with a natural stain, so you might want to try to find out what wood it is.

Your kitchen looks wonderful; you must be so pleased!

• mama-sweetT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys r so gr8, ,, thanks for responding:)

It's just a tough decision.... But I think you are right olychick! Once painted it would b very difficult to go back. I just wasn't sure if light stain was "in" theses days... I have had that table for so long...would not mind a new one to tell the truth!

Nosoccermom, thanks so much for the photos!! They r beautiful! No we haven't selected hardware until we decide the finish. If white was going to go with the cup style brushed nickle drawer handles & matching knobs on cabinets... But if stained light might go with something a little more contemporary, even though our house is a traditional 1976 model... Not sure if we should do that because may be selling it soon... Have to keep in mind the masses...

Live wire, you r so right.. Little contrast in here... Guess I'm afraid... I love to paint& Contrast is what I struggle with in my paintings also! I think with the dark countertops (though not much of It) would that not be too much dark?? Plus since it is so open to living R that is mostly whites & tans ( one whole wall is a painted off white brick fireplace... Hmmm, I don't like Mid tone brown stains at all.. Reminds me of the 70 cabinets we had when we purchased this place... But DO like the Very dark almost black stains... Something to think about for sure...

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022