Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

Help me Decorate this awkward Space

ms222
11 years ago

Hi guys, I need help figuring out a layout for this awkward space. When you walk into my home there is a rectangular area, its 11.5" wide and much longer all the way down to the master bedroom. I am trying to make it the "living room"

I have my two barcelona chairs against the wall, and I am thinking of putting a rug underneath it along with an end table in between the two chairs. What do I put on the wall, custom shelving? Pictures?

How would you envision the layout in that room? And yes...unfortunately I didnt realize how big the barcelona chairs are, they are much bigger scale than the chairs in my dining room area, which is a whole other thing I now have to figure out.

Comments (12)

• teacats
    11 years ago

Do you see the angle of the tiles? Basically -- your seating group should follow that angle .... your chairs (and an additional loveseat) will float on the diagonal line .....

Consider adding a small loveseat and tall silver standing lamps to the mix.

Your loveseat will need to be white with very clean simple lines. Add a long glass coffee table (or perhaps a long white ottoman) in front -- and add the two chairs across from the loveseat.

Add your mirror and a long silver-and-glass table to the dining room.

Add a grid of artworks to the long wall where the chairs now sit ...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Pretty room, pretty art.

I would make the big window the focal point and leave the art work as is.

Get a sofa and put it where the chairs are. Put one each chair facing each other on each side of the sofa with a coffee table in the middle and an area rug below.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good ideas, the only concern is spacing, given that from the wall across the window to the window itself is only 11 feet and that area is always walked across to get to my master bedroom.

However, it seems clear both of you think that a loveseat against the the wall across the window, and then a loveseat facing each other on each side of the couch would be a good setup.

Tea cats where do you envision the tall silver lamp to be placed?

Also, I will be adding a modern sideboard and a mirror over it in the dining room wall that you can see. However, I still don't know what to do about the dining chairs themselves, as it looks out of scale with the big barcelona chairs nearby and in view.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just tried to do a layout, there is just no way a couch will work...I think I'm tied to have the 2 chairs in similar fashion near the wall like my original picture, and then have an end table in between the two chairs and an area rug. Now it's a matter of what to do on that large wall behind the chairs.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I have a couple of ideas...

Could the chairs sit the other way (facing your bedroom), creating sort of an entry as you come into your house? Where your chairs are now, could be a narrow console table with art above, and perhaps a lamp on the table & storage in the cabinet or if it's more of a table, some baskets, or something similar set underneath the table for storage, even of gloves, hats, etc. You could put a mirror above the console, too, if your outside would nicely reflect into it. The chairs wouldn't be so close to the dining room ones, which might negate that issue.

Another idea is to put the chairs in front of the window, maybe angled in a little, with a table between and again the same idea as above on the wall where the chairs now live.

Such beautiful floors, btw. Some of your furniture should have legs, and some not, so keep that in mind, too.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lizzie, if the chairs face the other way towards the bedroom when you walk in creating an entry, it is cutting off that whole room to walk in. I never realized how big barcelona chairs really are in a "smaller" space.

I don't really want to put the chairs in front of the window because the windows are very big and a focal point of the room.

Thank you about the floors, I finally found the matching travertine so that the ugly symbol thats misplaced can be replaced.

What do you mean some furniture should have legs and some should not?

I wonder if I could find two more hefty chairs as the end chairs in the dining room if it would help the scale issue.

Either way I'm pretty stumped on what to do, ultimately I would have liked a couch for a nice seating area in that room, but it just won't fit with wall to wall being 11.5 feet across. It'll be way too crowded with the barcelona chairs.

I think the barcelona chairs floating too much in the room when you walk in is a distraction and an obstacle to get around to head to the dining room/master bedroom.

If I keep the two chairs near the wall as they are now what would be a nice looking end table to put in between the two chairs and what color? Any thoughts on what color rug as well? I'm thinking a shag one.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I totally understand what you mean about blocking the entry with the chairs. Re furniture with/without legs, I meant some furniture could come to the floor with short legs & some have longer legs showing with space underneath...does that make sense?

I think a shag rug would look very nice...good texture in there. I can't help with the table between the chairs...clueless there, I'm afraid. Maybe something in a dark wood? Could you do a low bench under the window wall for balance? Maybe one with a shallow depth so as not to take up much floor space. My son has a couple of upholstered benches with storage, that I think are about 15 " deep. They got them at Home Goods.

Good luck!

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

Cover the wall behind the chairs with bookcases. Put your two chairs facing one another with a small ottoman between. Add a couple lamps and you have a wonderful library that you can still pass through.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Great art and I like the wall color and the chairs.

It would be helpful to see other aspects of the room, for instance where that octagonal symbol is. It seems to me the entry *should* be there, otherwise why was that symbol put there.

Some questions for you - how do you plan to use this living room? How much seating do you need? How much do you love the Barcelona chairs? How much do you love your dining room chairs? In other words what must stay and what could go?

If you like everything you have and don't need a lot of seating in this room I suggest making it a library and putting a wall of built-in shelving on the wall across from the window. There's already a corner there so you could make the shelves that depth so that wall is then straight. Place the chairs in front of the shelves facing each other with a small round table between them. There will then be enough space to walk in front of the window to access the rest of the house. Do white wood slat blinds on the window for privacy and light control. As for rugs you *could* do an area rug under both chairs and/or a long 30-36" runner from the front door, across in front of the window to the dining room to show it is a corridor. Use masking tape on the floor to see how rugs would fit. If you do a runner then a 6'x9' area rug should fit in the seating area. Rugs may not be necessary so leave that until the rest of the room is done.

If you do need more seating perhaps several matching small rectangular ottomans would work. They could be arranged under the window in a row when not in use. Not the most comfortable seating for day to day 'lounging' but acceptable for a party or casual use. Alternatively your dining chairs could be brought in as extra seating. If you need more comfortable seating for general day-to-day use then a loveseat the length of the 2 Barcelona chairs would work. If the B. chairs are pushed together with the loveseat opposite there will still be space for the 'corridor' next to the window.

I would not be concerned with the window being the 'focal point' of the room. In fact focal points are very much over-rated and there can be more than one. Right now your art work certainly draws the eye and might be considered a focal point. If you do the wall of bookshelves, that could be a focal point. Filled with books, a few decorative items, small art work and it will be a major feature of the room.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I waited to see what others would suggest, but I too am seeing the chairs facing each other in the center of the room. I want to get them away from that wall so bad it hurts. I see a rug under them and a coffee table or ottoman inthe center of the room and the tile aisle to the side going back tothe bedroom.

I was considering a console or narrow table along the wall opposite the window, but admit I like the idea of bookcases better. It would give more sense of purpose to the room and the idea of reading is inviting where a table doesn't add that. A narrow table might fit under your art at the end of the room -- something simple, clean and probably silver or cool grey that compliments the art without taking too much attention. Could be white if it isn't too much. You could have stools that tuck underneath for added seating. A bench at the window could be nice.

You will need some kind of lighting, generally and for reading. Are you thinking of adding a ceiling fixture or just lamps? I think I remember mention of a silver lamp, but I don't see one.

Is your entry to the left of the floor medallion? I would consider the mirror there. The classic mirror by the door to make a last minute check. My dad also had a large mirror placed where he could see who was standing outside the door, so it could add security too. It could reflect light from the two adjoining rooms and probably some of the art at the opposite end.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think the chairs facing each other is brilliant. I might do bookcases as vsalz suggests on that wall and put the chairs in front of the windows, facing each other.

[Modern Bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2105) by Birmingham Interior Designer Tracery Interiors

[Contemporary Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by San Francisco Architect Fougeron Architecture FAIA

if you need more seating, maybe a small loveseat facing the two of them together...

[Modern Bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2105) by San Francisco Architect spfa.com

or

[Traditional Closet design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-closet-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_734~s_2107) by Birmingham Architect Studio C Architecture & Interiors

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for even more ideas. To answer one of your questions, the octagonal symbol is NOT the entryway to the home. The previous owner was going to move the entryway to that area and never did. The front door is right where the painting on the wall is.

I don't think I have much of a choice regarding keeping the windows near the wall. I will kind of draw a floor plan and take some pictures so you guys can really get a feel of the flow when walking into the home and the limited space.

One of you guys mentioned to use white wood slat blinds...I was hoping to do something like a light filtering roller shade to have it a little more modern, bad idea?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz