Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totallyblessed_gw

Hollygolightly.... your paint color?

totallyblessed
16 years ago

Hi Hollygolightly,

We are in the process of choosing our paints for our new build. I have saved a photo of your gorgeous chandelier/blue ceiling in your home, and just LOVE your wall colors and the blue of your ceiling. I think I asked you the wall color long ago, but I didn't write it down and now can't recall.

So... would you mind sharing your wall color and ceiling color with me? I'd really like to try a sample of your wall color/ceiling colors. Here's the room that would get the blue ceiling.....

{{gwi:1511821}}

It doesn't have a high ceiling like your room, but don't they look like they could be cousins? :0)

Oh I hope you don't mind sharing your paint colors again.

Thanks. :o)

Comments (67)

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Holly,

THANK YOU! You are so sweet to share. :o)

Okay, I'm back from PP's. I picked up the Sea Sand, Indian Ivory, and Antique Frost. :o) I was waiting to see what you had to say about mixing limpet/acqua before I got those. :o) So excited!!! The colors are truly gorgeous. Very soothing and honestly just beautiful!!

The carpet store lady is here measuring for carpet, so I'll paint my poster boards while I wait for her to finish. Then we're off to HD to order our washers/dryers while they are on sale. :O) Thank you so much Holly! I can not wait to try out your wonderful combination.

My goodness, that showhouse is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing more photos. And your basement (I can so not believe that is a basement... LOL) is gorgeous. I love the wall color.

Now Patricia has me wanting to beg for pic's of your former kitchen also. AND, do you have a photo of your "darker" former great room? Please, oh please. Don't burn the pumpkin pies or anything, but when you find time, I'd so love to see more.

I'm not kidding... I could just bring a toothbrush and be so happy in your home. :o)

Thanks for the limpet/acqua "forumula". PP store will be open again on Monday, and I'll get a gallon to try out. I'm confident I will like it. The paint strips of the 2 are gorgeous... much greener/grayer than I expected. It should be marvelous with my plans in that room. Ooooh, so happy you are helping me with this.

I know I am being a pest. I'm so sorry... I just can't helping asking a few more design questions..... what color ceiling paint did you use in your "non-sky" rooms? Did you use the "antique" like your trim, or something else? I am clueless as to what to do on that. Also, did you paint your interior doors in the house with the antique color?

Alright, I'm off to paint my samples. I will let you know how the vote goes once I get the 2nd coat on the poster board and it dries. I can't believe how excited I am about these colors. It's like getting an early Christmas present. :o) LOL!

Oh Hoosiergirl~ That is our garden room (sun room). It's off the great room, and it will have double glass doors so we can close it off but still see any children who come over to hang out. We have areas on the 2nd and 3rd floors for our kids as well, but when "visitors" are over, I'd like to keep an eye on all the kids. :o)

• jesemy
    16 years ago

Your guest room is lovely! I'd like to see some more pictures, too, so I'm chiming in!

Nancy

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I've had the pleasure of visiting Holly in her home. As beautiful as the photographs are, the rooms are even more so in person. Making it picture perfect are the sheep and donkeys grazing in pasture.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Holly
    my mouth is still open..so beautiful in every aspect of the word..you just made me hate my house! (smile) You have magnificent taste and an incredible flair for design.
    What brand paint are you mixing? I have never heard of Porter paint? Is that what it is? I really enjoyed your pictures..keep them coming! Ree

totallyblessed
    Beautiful room! It will look gorgeous with those colors..
    how's your bathroom coming a long? Pictures when you can..love to see them!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
    Ree

• catkin
    16 years ago

:waits for pics: :~)

• catkin
    16 years ago

Would anyone know which SW colors are close to PP Limpet and Misty Aqua? Thank you!

• loribee
    16 years ago

Holly....what a lovely home! :)

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the sweet comments. I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving. Catkin, our SW can mix Porter colors. I have been told the bases are different, but maybe just for reds. Type your zip at WWW.porterpaint.com for a nearby store.

Hey, Allison. You need to come back for a visit!
    Georgia Gal, I'm putting a link at the bottom for the chandelier (Charlestown). I also have the berry chandelier, which is darling.
    Patricia, I have a new computer, and I cannot find that picture. I really miss that kitchen.

TB, I used Antique Frost (trim) throughout the house--doors, too. I don't have any white ceilings, except in the basement. Everywhere else, for the ceilings, I either put a darker or lighter shade of the wall color/s. The main floor is mostly Sea Sand on the walls with Indian Ivory above. This whole floor is neutral with terra cotta accents in varying amounts (basement and 2nd floor, mainly blue (nearer to the clouds!) blending into blue green and green.
    Two bedrooms (same level as the guest room pictured above) broke away from Sea Sand, into Beige Tellin (it loves to turn everything pink). I used Beige Tellin on my son's walls, Beige Chiffon on the ceiling; in my granddaughter's room, I put Queen Anne's Lace (doubled) on the walls and Beige Chiffon doubled on the ceiling. In the bath, beige chiffon on the walls and ceiling. In the Master, I used a green beige, Lincoln Home Beige, on the walls and ceiling, except for Antique Bronze in the flat part of the tray. Ecru went into the bath, with Calabash in the WC.
    The dining room is terra cotta with Sea Sand on the ceiling. In the adjacent room, I flipped one color, bringing the terra cotta onto the ceiling--but warm gray walls (also in the powder room). The colors for the main floor were inspired by my granite, which has terra cotta, brown, black, gray, beige). The Great Room (picture wi/zebra rug) can't handle much terra cotta (in my hands, anyway), so I've only added it in small punches--art and fringed trim on pillows.

Here's the family room with the terra cotta ceiling (it has a faux treatment, and the walls do, too). The furniture is neutral, with terra cotta Aubusson pillows and a (too small--but has to work for now) patterned rug.

If you look in the bookshelves, the wall is painted Basset Hall Gold--one shade darker than Sea Sand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Gal

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ree~

Thanks. ;o) You know, the only thing new with the bath is the primer coat is up. The tile crew does not want to work on our 1st floor until drywall finishers are done on that floor. And they have not finished the upper walls/ceiling of our 2 story great room/entry areas. So...... no tile yet in our bath. I will gladly share when it is finished. I hope I like it with my surprisingly busy tile for the floor/shower. :o~

catkin~

I don't know what colors are close. I have a SW deck, but I'm not good at recognizing "twin" paints. But I'd be more than happy to send you the 2 paint strips that have those PP colors on them if you'd like. Just let me know. They are really, really beautiful! Kindof greeny, a bit of gray. But in application, they read to me as a blueish color. Maybe HOlly could say if they look bluer/grayer/greener on her ceilings compared to the paint swatch?

Holly~ Oh my word. You are such a sweetheart to share. I can NOT thank you enough for sharing your various paint colors. I like how you used the Bassett Hall Gold in the backs of your bookshelves. I was admiring that color yesterday and wondering if I should put it up in my tiny powder room. :o)

So, did you mean that Sea Sand likes to turn things pink? So you went with Beige Tellin in more masculine spaces? Trying to make sure I read that correctly.

Do you have photos you would share of the master bedroom greens? I'd especially love to see the bronze color in the tray. Was it a Porter color also? Oh, I know I keep asking for photos, but it is so great to "see" the color applied, as well as enjoy the eye candy that is your lovely home. :o)

And I must tell you that each photo I see of your home makes me fall in love with it and your decorating style more and more. I've been day dreaming of a zebra rug and wondering if I was the only one who liked those. And there is one in your stylish, beautiful great room. Hmmmm.... maybe I can pull it off too?!! I was considering it for our music room. Here's that space...

{{gwi:1511752}}

Not the best photo, and it's actually completely drywalled and primed (and cleaned up... LOL) at this point. Anyhoo, there are 2 tall, skinny windows at the front (right side) of that room. We'll have a piano at the front of the room, and then some type of seating in that room. Directly across from it is the formal dining room, which is a mirror image of the music room (supposed to be a formal living, but we won't use it as that). So.... can you see a Zebra rug in that room? I'm definitely going to see if I can work one in. I LOVE yours! :o)

Thanks again Holly. I am so grateful for your help. If you are in college in the paint world, I feel I am in Kindergarten. LOL! See how much you are helping me?! :o)

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

No, the Beige Tellin loves to turn things pink. lol When we were building, I posted a picture here of my son's bath counter -- tan Corian turned purplepink -- and asked for help.
    In the zebra room, the flash washed out the paint colors. I wish I'd used Bassett Hall Gold elsewhere.

MBR/Lincoln Home Beige on walls and ceiling (antique frost trim). I'll take a picture of the tray. I'll try to get a picture of the bath, too. I've used Irish Linen (one lighter color than Ecru--green beige) in another house), and it flows beautifully with Sea Sand, Lincoln Home B.

I remember when we were building, and it really does help to see the paint. I hung out here a lot!

Your music room is going to be great. I love the arches.

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holly~

GORGEOUS master! Wow. I do recall seeing this sitting area, but didn't remember it was yours. It is so lovely. If that were my room, I don't think I'd leave it (except seeing the rest of your home, you must feel the same in EVERY room... LOL!).

Thank you for sharing this color. It looks amazing. I will pick up that paint strip on Monday when they are open again. They are taking a long weekend. I do hope you will be able to photograph your master bath and the bronze tray ceiling. I'd love to see them.

Okay, another request. I hate to be a pest, but this is honestly sooo helpful! You mentioned your gd's bedroom as the doubled queen anne's lace with the doubled beige chiffon ceiling. Is it possible to see that combo? I liked those on the paint swatches too, and would love to see what happens to those colors when they are doubled.

Thanks for the kind words. Our arches will have pillars on them soon. I will share a photo when they are installed. Can't wait to see that transformation. I'm having them faux finished eventually to look like marble/stone. :o)

Thanks so much for your paint advice/help Holly. We were too busy this morning and gone this afternoon, so I STILL have not painted my poster board samples. :o( I plan to get a 1st coat on the boards first thing tomorrow. Then a 2nd coat the split-second that first coat is dry. I'm so excited to see my samples in my space. Really hoping they look half as good in my house as yours! :o)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

hollygolightly and totallyblessed
    Both your homes are drop dead gorgeous! Holly..once again, your home is magazine and just stunning. You have amazing design ability ..such perfect taste.

totallyblessed
    OMG!! geezz..looking at the rest of your new home is totally amazing..so grand and beautiful! I can not wait to see it finished..

to both of you.. beautiful, beautiful homes (only in my dreams..triple wow!! I think they should be in House Beautiful magazines..or was it and I missed it? (smile) If not..call them!!!! Front cover!!!!
    Hope you had a great thanksgiving!
    good nite~
    Ree

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Gorgeous homes! Hollygolightly, if you tire of that beautiful French writing desk with the marquetry, please let me have first dibs. :)

• jesemy
    16 years ago

Holly,
    Are the bookcases also in Antique Frost as well? I love the gold behind them--nice idea!

Thanks for posting the pictures--I'd love to see your kitchen if you wish to share!

Thanks again,
    Nancy

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Totallyblessed, our LR is in Antique Bronze -- it's my favorite of the colors I chose!

Hollygolightly, I'd love to see Calabash -- that was one color I really wanted to use somewhere, but just didn't get to fit it in. If you could share that just to ease my curiosity as to how it would have turned out, I'd appreciate it!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ree~ You are too funny. My space pales in comparison to Holly's, but I think it will still turn out nice. Thanks. :o)

Holly~ I'm in line behind Patricia for the desk. Please?! :o) he, he

hoosiergirl~ which thread had your home in it? I know I just looked at it, but I can't recall. And I'm sick with a cold and my stuffy head isn't helping my thinking... LOL! I want to see the Antique bronze in your space. :o)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

I'm kind of embarrassed to show these in the same thread with Hollygolightly's spectacular home, since our home is so much in need of decorating and so plain in comparison, but here you go, Totallyblessed. I think the LR pics are toward the middle or end. Hope that helps! (I feel for you trying to pick out paint colors!)

Here is a link that might be useful: new home pics

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

I also meant to tell you that I hope you feel better soon, Totallyblessed! It's no fun to be sick during the holiday season (well, it's never fun, but especially not then, LOL)!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hoosiergirl~ You are too modest. :o) I adore your house, and your paint colors look beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing the link to your photos. I really like the trieste gold in your hallway. The bronze looks great in your dining room. Thanks for sharing. :o)

Thanks for the well wishes. I missed out on all the great shopping this morning because I just felt too sick to get on out there with the masses. I did manage to go get a few more samples of paint this afternoon. DH really wants me to find our master bath colors so he can install the columns between bed/bath. I'll test these ones out (SW restrained gold, Blonde, and another one on that same strip.... my fuzzy head is making me forget... LOL). I'm really hoping to see Holly's bath colors before I commit. PP won't be open until Monday morning.

Yes, choosing paint feels worse than it would feel to get all of my teeth pulled while I hung upside down.... LOL! I can't wait until I get this figured out. So thankful for all of Holly's help (and everyone else's opinions help greatly too!). It feels like I have a cheat sheet. :o)

• nanmeade
    16 years ago

hoosiergirl, what are the colors in your breakfast nook and master sitting room?

Thanks.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, Totallyblessed. (And just so you don't think I'm out of my mind, it's the LR, not the DR, that is Antique Bronze. The DR is Haterras Grey, [which is much more blue than grey].)

Redsox, they're both Delta Green from Porter Paints. Actually, the kitchen and master bedroom are the same color as well (and the FR is one shade darker, Prarie Sumac).

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hoosiergirl~

Sorry! I meant living room! I've had a headache/hurting ears/sore throat for 3 days. :o( I'm not thinking clearly I guess. LOL! :o)

What wall color and trim color did you use in your master bath? I am needing a golden (I think anyway) in our master bath, and yours is beautiful with the darker wood tones of the mirrors/vanity.

Also, what faucet did you use for the master sinks? I really like the height on them!!

Okay, off to find some tylenol for my headache. :o~

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Ooooh, that sounds like it hurts, Totallyblessed! Hope it clears up soon!

The master is Ripe Cane in eggshell (one shade darker than Trieste Gold). I can't remember the faucet name; it's from Italy, if I remember correctly, and I think the manufacturer's name begins with a T. I'll let you know if I can find the info in my paperwork.

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hoosiergirl~

Gonna check out that Ripe Cane swatch on MOnday! Lover-ley! :O)

No worries if you can't find the faucet name. At this point, I'm so much into this house that if it comes from Italy, it's not happening. :o) LOL! Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling better tonight. I am going to paint my sample boards in the morning, no matter what! *smile*

• bayla_reno
    16 years ago

Hollygolightly, your master bedroom is truly wonderful. Would you mind telling me where you got your fabric? Particularly the one one on your bench in front of the bed? And your checked pillows and curtains? Everything is so sooo beautiful! Did you also go with blue hues in your kitchen? I would love to see it! Thanks so much!

• catkin
    16 years ago

Thanks for the offer, I think I'll just check out the SW store. There are no PP stores within 100 miles of me!
    Your homes are just lovely, Ladies--thanks for sharing!

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

Catkin, see if your SW store can match PP colors. I can't find any other pictures; but here's my granddaughter's Room (fabric from old house--I'm still trying out bedding combinations...can't decide lol):
    Walls: Double QALace...Ceiling: Beige Chiffon doubled:

The Master Bedroom fabric was bought at a variety of places--Horchow, furniture store (Clayton Marcus sofa). The bench is Schnadig (before they narrowed their fabric selection). I only used blue in the basement and upper floor. Thanks for looking!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hollygolightly~

Thank you so much for the photo of GD's room. Oh, I'm in love with MORE PP colors now. :o) Truly beautiful. I am loving that room.... so very sweet for a girl! Did you get the headboards recently? I'd love to find something along those lines.

Well, would you ladies like to see what dh did today in our master bedroom on the ceiling? It's not a great photo, as it's almost dark out, and my flash majorly washes out the color. BUT, if you look towards the edges of the tray ceiling, you'll see a more accurate coloring of our ceilings in master bed, bath, and closet.

Here she is....... INDIAN IVORY CEILING!!!

{{gwi:1875449}}

It is getting a second coat already as I type. He sprayed it really fine mist this morning and put the huge house heater in there that they kindly drywallers left over the weekend. :O) Tomorrow the walls will get rolled, and I'll share when they are finished. They will be Sea Sand, and will probably need 2 coats.

Catkin~ Good news for you. My SW and PP were both closed today. DH insisted on painting our master suite ceilings, as he wants it done before the tile crew gets in there. :O) So after discovering SW was closed (they will match PP's) I went to Lowe's. They actually had PP's recipes in their computer, and the two colors I had mixed today are IDENTICAL on the PP paint strip! You would not know they were not mixed at a Porter store! So that's a way you could try some of these colors if you are so inclined. :O) Just tell them the name of the paint color and the brand, and the computer will pop up the gallon recipe!!

They didn't have a "recipe" for 5 gallon bucket for the Indian Ivory, but the man just added 5x's the gallon recipe to the big 5 gallon bucket, and it was a perfect match. I had to go back for a 2nd bucket this afternoon, and another perfect match. Woo-hoo! Desperate times call for desperate measures.... LOL!

I tried out SW blonde, restrained gold, and mannered gold on poster board this morning for our master bath. They are lovely colors, but made my yellow travertine look gaudy. :o( The Sea sand works so well with both our master bath and our main living tiles, as does the Antique Frost for the trim. So that's what we're going with for much of the house.

DH is so happy. He said to thank you for your help (he knows I stink at choosing colors!!!). He loves these colors. He especiallly likes the Bassett Hall Gold. SO..... it will go in his office (off our master) if it's not too dark in there (no windows). Gonna try that sample tomorrow when PP opens, as well as the limpet and acqua!

I may eventually paint the master tray area in Bassett Gold, but I'm going to wait until I get our bedroom furniture and bedding in place. It's an east facing room with a private porch off the french doors, so not a lot of light in there. If the furnishings make the room seem dark enough, we'll just leave the Indian Ivory on the ceiling. If I think it can go darker, I'm going for the BHG on that ceiling. DRAMA!

Thanks soooo much Holly for all of your kind help/advice/photo sharing. I really can't express how much help this has been, and how much stress you have relieved me from in sharing these gorgeous colors. They are truly PERFECT for our home. I couldn't have found these perfect colors without your help!

Thank you sweet GW friend!! :o)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

hollygolightly
    once again..just beautiful..I think the bedding combo is just perfect, as the rest of you house.. ( I LOVE Horchow) I must ask..are you a professional designer? If not..you certainly have a natural gift..everything you do is stunning. I love viewing all your pictures. (keep them coming, (smile)
    Ree

totallyblessed
    I am getting such a kick out of your posts..makes me smile to hear the excitement ! Your ceiling looks GREAT! You got PP?? I wrote you back earlier on my thread... Tell DH he is doing a wonderful job! Ree

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holly~

Ooooh, had to pause for another look at your GD's room... so gorgeous! :o)

Did you use latex paint on your trim, or switch over to oil based for your trim? I just realized that perhaps you used oil like many do? I had my sample mixed in eggshell latex. Is that what you used?

I'm planning to get the limpet and acqua in flat, unless you tell me you did otherwise for your ceilings. :O) So excited to go get those in the morning. I know it's only paint, but it's already making such a huge transformation in that big, cold room. Can't wait to see the house become a cozy home. :o) So thankful for your help!

Hi Ree~

I'll check out your thread... haven't seen your note to me yet on there. :O)

YOu are so sweet. Thanks. I know the photo makes it look like a preschooler painted, but IRL it looks beautiful. I just don't know how to turn off my flash manually. :o( Anyhoo, dh finished the 2nd coat and it looks marvelous in there. He painted the arched opening to the bath with the Sea Sand, so that another coat can go on in the morning and pillars against that opening can be set in the afternoon. Talk about a man on a marathon mission! LOL! ;o)

No, I didn't get the Porter colors mixed in Porter Paints. They were closed today. I had planned to have SW mix the Porter colors for me (they can do that for you!), but they were closed today. :o( So.... I took desperate measures and went to Lowe's and had the PP's colors mixed into Valspar's (at Lowe's) flat for the ceiling, and satin for the archway. They just looked in their computer and there were the recipes for Porter's Paints! Didn't even have to color match my paint strip! But when they dried some on my card, it was an IDENTICAL match. I was impressed. :o)

PP's doesn't have their 5 gallon buckets in stock and have to special order them 1 week or more out. :o( So I'm going to use the Sea Sand and Indian Ivory in another brand.... probably SW since they can color match it and are going to throw in an extra 5 gallon bucket for free. :O)

I will do the Sea Sand in eggshell in the remainder of the home, but for our master bath I decided to go with bathroom grade paint to hopefully avoid mildew (which according to the paint man is a problem in the humid south.... we'll find out....). :o)

I WILL get the limpet and acqua from PP's, because I don't anticipate needing 5 gallons of those colors.... LOL! They do have their gallon paints in stock! I will let you know what I think of those colors after I get them mixed and samples painted and dried.... sometime tomorrow! I'm so excited about those colors. You should see those paint strips Ree (I will seriously send them to you if you wish!). They are just gorgeous. Honestly yummy!!!!!! :O)

I am toying with the idea of the gold (the one dh wants in his office) in our little tub alcove ceiling. So you would only really see it if you are in the tub. Might lower the ceiling height some and make it feel extra cozy and romantic?? Well, we'll paint the rest of the room and then I'll see if that will work. It is a tiny area, so wouldn't take more than 15 min's to paint.... LOL!

I've gone on and on. If anyone is still reading this, I'm impressed. ;O)

Okay, I'm off to read your thread. :O)

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

Totally Blessed, not only am I delighted, it makes my heart joyful to have helped. I send virtual hugs your way and wish you many happy years in your new abode. The Sea Sand palette is easy to work with and seems to hold its own with other, stronger colors. I've been staring at these walls for only 1.5 yrs, but I still love the gentle color.

I am so happy for you! I love the ceiling color that your husband painted. I found a can of Antique Frost in the garage. It's 8J 8T (formula). I cannot remember if it was latex. Unfortunately it was mixed in an interior latex can (wall paint). I will look tomorrow. My trim has a slight sheen (eggshell).

ReeRee, you have made my day! No, not a designer but totally house obsessed. The headboards were bought a decade ago, and the bedding draperies are that old, too--I still love them.
    A few paint colors you asked to see:
    Antique Bronze (ceiling), AF trim

Calabash (a little different at night w/flash, butyou get the idea:

Indian Ivory walls, faux treatment ceiling (Bassett Hall Gold, Sea Sand, Umber Shadow, Indian Ivory)

DS2's room--Beige Tellin walls, soft cloud ceiling

Sea Sand walls

Sea Sand on ceiling (flipped foyer wall color)..distorted by flash

Ecru (Master bath)--again, flash-fried lol

Another view of the Misty Aqua/Limpet Shell wall mix (but w/ glazing). In the distance, Indian Ivory. Same trim throughout:

Indian Ivory in kitchen

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holly,

Can I pack my bags right now or should I wait to arrive in the morning. Forget my house...... I want to live with YOU!! :o)

Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous! I'd type it more times but I'm making mistakes.... LOL!

Everything is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. I was really hoping to see more but didn't want to make you wish I'd drop from the forum. LOL! :o)

Okay, I am adding more PP samples to my "cart" tomorrow when I head down there. Seriuosly beautiful rooms. Can I just copy you? When it doesn't turn out half as nice, I promise I won't tell where I "stole" my colors!! he, he.

Wow. That ceiling is beautiful with the bronze. Do you think I could get away with that in my low-light master bedroom? My tray ceiling is HUGE..... the perimeter lower ceiling (whatever they are called) is not large like most I see, and not as ornate as yours. And my taller "tray" area is the 10 feet I believe, so I think that my perimeter walls are even lower. Will the ceiling feel like it's falling? Hmm.

I think it would look awesome in my master bath tub area ceiling. Wish I could get it up on my master bedroom ceiling. What do you think? Did it seem to darken your room after that paint went up? Votes HOlly? Anyone? Of course, dh thinks he is done for now with ceilings in that area, so...... :o)

LOVE, LOVE the bathroom colors together. And dh was just saying tonight that perhaps a more "greenish" toned color would look good with our gold tiles. I'm going to check out those paint colors at PP tomorrow. I can always use the gallon of Sea Sand that I bought for another room (there will be several receiving that color, just not in the satin. But I could "give" it to one of my kids bathroom ensuites! ;o) *wink*

Oh, I wish you had said you JUST bought those beds. Well, when you decide to change them out (LOL there!) call me. I'll gladly buy them from you, and even put up your new beds! :o)

Another question. What color are your iron rails? I was going with black, but was never quite sure I wanted that dark of rails. My iron man didn't tell me they came in another color (rust? be still my heart.....). He has not begun making them yet, because the treads have to be made before he will template anything. So I reserve the right to change my mind on color until then. Oh please do share. Is your top rail (where the hand slides... you can tell I know nothing about stair "anatomy") wood or iron? I'm doing iron, so I'm hoping they somehow made you a "beefy" looking iron hand rail? Is that so?

Is the chandy in the kitchen "montparnasse"? I found a black/gold one that looked like that online, and marked it as an option. But didn't want such "dark" lighting. It didn't have an option in the rusty finish. (stamping foot and biting nails wildly as I try to figure out how to find that light....).

As you can see, I'm indecisive in several areas. HOlly, would you like a job? I don't think you're terribly far from me. I'll serve a nice lunch and everything. ;o)

Okay, I'll end this. Thanks for checking on the paint trim tomorrow. I'd love to know if it was oilbased or latex based. :O)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Holly
    how big is your house???? wow! Your beautifully decorated rooms are never ending! Pure pleasure for me, I can look at your house all day! You have an incredible gift Holly, you are an inspiration. Your home is a show piece, I admire your talent and your beautiful home. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Ree

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

Found the trim--it is "interior oil." On the can it says: Porter "super premium' Glyptex Eggshell wall and trim enamel. The base is 439 light base. The formula is 6J6T (antique frost).

I know you already know this, but I will reinforce it: During a build it takes a leap of faith to choose colors (or anything). I would say choose what you love and pay no mind to rules. During our build, I was a basket case. I magnified every little thing, like crooked knobs, and second guessed colors. I had planned to do the blue ceilings in the kitchen, but a lady at the tile store made a horrid face and remarked how ugly that would be. Her daughter is a decorator,so I figured she knew. I tucked my tail and chose a more neutral palette. But sometimes I do think about that blue. We had to repaint the family room because DH didn't like the original color (chocolate--PP Chocolate Candy, lol), but he liked the taupey-gray w/apricot. As a result, our house doesn't have the best flow, color-wise; but our family isn't that way, either. Some colors, like people, are just more impulsive and unique. lol I honestly think that magazines with pics of model homes seem to promote a more matchy palette--just my humble opinion--and really, life isn't that way. People bring old, beloved items into new homes, and sometimes rules have to break in order for the old to merge with the new.

Personally, I like color on the ceiling. My mother would disagree. That's the spice of the decorating life. In other homes I've always painted the trays and loved the bit of color. It tends to draw the eye up, yet it's not a focal point (to me). The paint store ladies tried to talk me out of painting the ceilings (on a practical note it's a pain to change the ceiling color if you decide to paint the room another color later on), but I gambled. Maybe if you paint a large poster board and tack it to the ceiling over your bath? See what that color does in real life to your room.

I know what you mean about the travertine and beiges. I had to use the Ecru/Calabash/Lincoln Home in the Master Bath because of my tile. The Sea Sand wasn't totally complimentary; I needed a green beige. If you ask Porter Paints, they will give you a fan deck.

Regarding the iron rails, the man from the company pretty much picked the finish. (The rail top is iron.) I went to his shop and really liked what he pulled together. That said, the railing for the hearth room turned out to be way too black, so I did a faux finish over it. Just a little, but it made a difference.

Yes, Montparnasse is the chandelier, and it comes in black, too. If I'd known the iron railing in that room would have been black, I would have chosen that (as opposed to the tan finish). I had fallen in love with a black Fine Arts chandelier (almost identical to the Montparnasse) but it was over the moon $, and the (very talented) lady at the lighting store found the Montparnasse. My DH loved it, so that's what we got. :-)

Have fun--it's only paint. Remember to breathe (but not the paint fumes). Tell yourself this, too, shall pass. It sure enough will. Because it isn't over! Wait till you start looking for fabric!!! :-)

• momtosix
    16 years ago

Holly,

Would you mind sharing the name of the rug you used in your basement..the colors would work perfect in my great room.
    Thanks

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holly~

Oh thank you for sharing the trim paint. Was yours in a 5 gallon bucket? Just wondering if they mix it in that size. I'll probably need a gazillion gallons. LOL!

I went to PP this morning! DH was talking to me when I was on this thread writing down the 'recipe". (thus, the distraction... LOL). When I got to PP's and asked them to mix that for me in a gallon, they said my recipe wasn't "right'. Somehow I worote YP at the end, instead of 4P. Uggggh. So I will go back tomorrow with the correct formula for a gallon.

Meanwhile, did you do your blue guest room ceiling in flat paint? I presume you did, but want to be sure I'm understanding. Above you listed it as in eggshell paint, but was that just for your walls that you glazed? Just making sure.....

I asked PP for a paint deck last time I was in. They don't have any. :O(

I did grab samples of Calabash (ooooh, so LOVE that color!) and ecru (on the same strip) while I was there. Also loved seeing the antique bronze sample, which I grabbed too. They will probably make their way into my home in some way or another. :o)

I looked and looked for "terracotta" in their paint strips. Couldn't find it. Finally a helped started helping me, and whipped out their "directory" and we looked alphabetically. No terracotta. :o( Do you recall if that was a Porter color, and if so, the name?

I would not have thought to do terracotta, although I do like that color a lot! Just haven't decorated with it other than putting mexican pavers in our bath in CA home. :o) But dh saw your photos this morning and really liked the terracotta walls. He said "wow. That looks really good. Why can't we have a color like that"? And I said "well, we certainly can if you would like it". But alas, I could not find the swatch. :o) So if you don't mind sharing yet another color, I'd love to look at that paint strip! :o)

It was a bit hard working with the PP's worker today (and then "the guy who knows about paint") when he didn't know how to answer. I was in a bit of a hurry, so it was torture to watch him look for just the base gallons for the limpet and acqua. LOL! I finally said "wow. My friend's directions say eggshell, but it was her ceiling. So maybe I need flat paint. I'd better ask her and come back when I know". :o) LOL! This after about 10 minutes (seriously!!!) of him scratching his head and looking at the shelf full of paint cans. Oh my.

I then headed to SW to have them color match the limpet and the acqua! Yahoo! They were an identical match when they swiped them onto PP's paintstrip. And they all know what they are doing in that store (since it's all they do!) and were so quick and helpful! I got my sample quarts in flat finish. Can't wait to see how they look. :O)

Thanks for the reminder about "rules". I just want to enjoy this process, and I was getting sooooo stressed about the paint choices. Holly, you have really helped me greatly. It is actually exciting and fun to try out these colors, and then find that they really are great in my home too. Aaaaaaah. How is it that such a little thing is such a huge relief?!

How funny that you have the montparnasse in the rusty color (which I'm dying to find) and I've found it in the black, which would have worked for you. Well, at least we are on the same wavelength. :o) LOL! Well, if anyone here finds that light in the rusty bronze, please point me that direction. It would be perfect!! ;o)

Okay, I'm off to look in the house. The electricians installed and hooked up recessed lighting in our master bed and closet. And the tile crew arrived and has installed backerboard thru several rooms, as well as built our shower pan. Not sure why this is exciting, but it is!! :o)

Thanks again sweet Holly! You have helped more than you can ever know. :o)

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

Momto6, the rug is made by Shaw (Kathy Ireland), "Garden Fantasy," in 11700 brown. I looked on the internet, and the aqua appears green. I went back and checked the numbers on the flip side of the rug. At my house, surrounded by blues, it looks aqua/blue. Go figure. :-)

Totally Blessed, I'm glad you found a paint person at SW. It makes all the difference. I used flat for the ceiling (I double checked), mainly because the ladies at our PP (who were very good) freaked when I mentioned eggshell on the ceiling. So we did flat--and when the specialty painters came I had to have those particular ceilings repainted in eggshell before they'd do anything.

The regular painters sprayed everything; but they did leave many gallons in the garage.
    The terra cotta colors are Rich Clay (Dining room walls) and Frosty clay (family room ceiling) over Sea Sand.

Show us some pictures when you get a chance. I'd love to see more of your house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metropolitan Minka group--lighting

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mom to 6~

That rug is a beauty. I admired it as well. Hope it works well for you! :o)

Holly~

Thank you so much for sharing those colors. I will pick up those terracotta paint chips when I go to get my limpet/acqua mixed. Oh, I'm hoping those funny young workers can mix that paint for me.... LOL! :op If not, SW is becoming used to my PP strips. :o)

So if you are having a faux finish, it's best to do eggshell? So it can be washed or sponged or whatever with the faux tx? Good to know. Well, our garden room ceiling has not been painted yet, so that gives me time to get eggshell. Thanks for the tip! So much to learn.....

Wow. You are a wealth of information, Holly. Thanks soooo much to the MInka link. I couldn't recall the maker, just that it was montparnasse (liked the name... LOL!). And I found it on a site with a gazillion pages (seriously) that gets terrible reviews, besides not having an option other than black. LOL!

I used the store locator and the store I purchased my shower jets from is a dealer. I am going to make some calls tomorrow and see how long it would take to receive this set. Thanks sooo much!

By the way, here are the coordinating pendants I would use over our breakfast bar if I did your chandy in my breakfast room. The breakfast bar is a countertop in the opening between GR and kitchen.

I was considering the one you linked for our breakfast room. Here's that very messy space (it's all cleaned up now, but I don't have a new photo!). :o)

{{gwi:1511826}}

And then of course there is a longer rectangle coordinating island light that would fit over my island, except it seems a bit heavy to hang in front of my hood?!

Did you use any of the coordinating lighting Holly?

Can you tell me how the tuscan coloring is IRL for your chandy? Does it imitate a bronze tone, a goldish tone, a lighter brown tone, a rusty look? It's difficult to tell from photos. :o)I'll have bronze faucet, and aged copper sink. Wondering if this would work with those finishes?

I'm planning something similar to this for our kitchen. It's a Habersham kitchen I saw at a designer's shop. It's prettier in person than in photos, so i was happy. HOwever, H's prices are really high. SO.... my custom cabinet makers have a gazillion photos I've given them to "imitate" this. Mine won't have the 25 step process for finishing that H's does, but I think it will still look good. Can't wait. I love to cook, so I dream all the time about our new kitchen. Especially after camping out in our motorhome and doing NO cooking to speak of. :o) LOL!

I don't have a good photo of it, but we are doing a similar color scheme to H's national ad. Here's that photo:

Our hood unit (with 2 flanking glass cab's) will be slightly distressed black, and our island would be the same black. Our perimeter cab's will be a darker brown stained maple.

I love the cream. Want to do the cream. Go back and forth every day on whether I should just do the cream..... you get the picture. BUT, we have 5 children and I'm thinking the cream will have smeary hand prints of spag. sauce on it if I do cream. Anyone want to tell me different? Cabinet makers haven't started yet, so I can still change color scheme.

Oh, somebody stop me! I am so indecisive, it's nuts. :o[

So, would anyone like to vote? Would this "montparnasse" go okay with my kitchen? I'm worried it's a bit heavy on the pendants, as there will be 3, and they will "block" the view to the hood a bit from the great room. And would you do black or the rusty brown fixture finish with my black/brown kitchen?? Or do you want to tell me that with no windows in the kitchen I'd better do the cream cabinetry with glaze, and then do the brown lighting anyway? :O) he, he.

Okay Holly, you asked for a few photos of our house. It's in such a state of "mess" with backerboard being put down today and finishers still not done with our drywall in upper floors.

I'll share my laundry room with y'all. I think I am going to cry tears of joy when this room is up and running.... laundry mat for 7 people's clothing gets old very quickly! :o)

There will be 2 sets of washers dryers (side by side on pedestals) between the 2 windows. Directly across will be the counterop/sink/drawers/uppercab's. The end wall where I stood to take this photo will have a flat screen tv for the unlikely event that I actually iron (and honestly, I don't ever turn our tv on!!). On the opposite end wall is the built in ironing board. And the doorway opens on the left wall at the far end. Not a great photo, but anyway...

{{gwi:1875463}}

Here are the machines we just ordered last week. And the fabric/jewel trim is for roman blinds in that room. It is south facing, so it may need some help with heat in the summer.

The cabinets are a sage color, all beat up and distressed, with a brownish glaze on top of them. I LOVED that door sample color, and had to get it into my house somehow. :o) Thinking of doing a yellowish/gold venetian plaster on the walls in there. Hoping it won't look like Christmas exploded in that room. :o)

I originally planned to do a very dirty/muddy looking toile print, but when I received the sample in the mail it was all wrong in coloring. :o( I found another at a nearby fabric store, but there's not much cherry color in it, although the green is a perfect compliment. There is some blue in the fabric as well, although it doesn't really stand out IRL. I'd love to find a toile with a less blue in it (although this one is not as noticeably IRL as it seems to be in the photo). Here's that fabric:

Thanks again Holly for sharing more paint colors, and for taking the time to find that chandy link. Now, please vote and tell me if you think the pendants would detract from my range hood? I definitely have to put pendants above the breakfast bar, but they could be smaller if needed.

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holly,

Here's a link to another thread I had on "building" forum. Only a few photos, but here you go....

Here is a link that might be useful: Totallyblessed photos

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

I enjoyed looking at the photos of your beautiful house. This is an exciting stage. Your fabrics are going to be great! The range hood would look fabulous either way. It's gorgeous! Can't go wrong, TB. I'm excited for you!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Holly. :o)

Other than picking up some paint, we took a "break" from the house today, and it was nice to just think of something else for a day. :o)

Well, dh chose lincoln home beige and antique bronze, but not in a way that you would expect. :o~ He wants the LHB on his office ceiling, and the AB on his walls. And he had me purchase WITHOUT testing it on a sample first. Eeeeks. I hope that combination works out in there for him. :o) AND, he is not thrilled with our lighter master ceiling, so is wanting to do that in the AB as well. WE'll see. I'm going to see how his walls turn out first. HE's wanting a really dark office, but...... :o)

Thanks again for your help Holly! I'd say "if there's anything I can do to help you in your decorating decisons, let me know" but of course that would send everyone on GW into hysterical fits of laughter. :o) LOL! So, I'll just say thank you again so much. :o)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

FWIW, Totallyblessed, I think Antique Bronze will be fabulous for an office! It's dark without being too dark (at least in our LR), and like I said earlier, it's my favorite of the colors we chose. I hope you're both thrilled with it (I think you will be)! I don't know about Lincoln Home Beige with it -- I don't remember seeing it in the fan deck. Some beiges have a pink undertone, so I'd watch out for that. Good luck!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Hoosiergirl~

Oh how I love your dining room photos of the antique bronze. I'm just hoping his office doesn't look like a cave in that color with no windows in that room. :o) How does that color look in your dining room at night with no lighting in there? Not cavelike?? ;O)

I know he wants dark, but since we didn't try out a sample, I guess I am just nervous. He does have one coat of the Bassett Hall Gold on his office walls now, and it is beautiful. BUT, he wants to go even darker for his office. And Antique Bronze is a darker shade when comparing on the cards, so hopefully it will be what he is looking for. :o)

Holly did the lincoln home beige in her master (photo above) with the bronze up in her tray. So hopefully the reverse of that combo will be nice. We'll know soon. :o)

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for pricing and time frame for delivery info. on the montparnasse collection (found a pendant that might be better.... less heavy looking, since I need 3) as well as another collection for our entry rooms.

Hopefully they can get them to me quickly, since my electricians seem to be eager to have stuff to do. Must want some extra money for Christmas. :o) he, he.

• lindabarbara
    16 years ago

Holly,
    I join the chorus of others singing your decorating praises--truly a magnificent home..I can't stop looking at your pictures. I would like to ask if you would be willing to share more pictures of your kitchen? My granite is similar to yours--and that's about the only comparison I can make, but I would love to see more. You are truly gifted!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Totallyblessed, I did finally find Lincoln Home Beige on the fan deck, and it should work fine (although I'd love to see AB with the shade lighter on that same page -- Velvet Bronze -- love that color! Maybe I'll do that in our room some day!) I can't find the LHB/AB combo in Holly's pics above, but if she has it, I'm doubly-sure it'll be great!

Isn't this exciting?! When our paint went up, that brought the house to life. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I did!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LB~ I agree. Holly is a decorating wonder. Her kitchen is really gorgeous. HOpefully she'll see your request and be able to share a few more. :O)

hoosiergirl~ Yes, dh really liked the velvet bronze also. I really wanted him to do that on the ceiling, but he was afraid there wouldn't be much contrast between ceiling and walls, and he wants a contrast. He'll have crown molding in that room, which will be lighter, but he still wanted more contrast. He rarely gives an opinion on decorating, so the fact that he has a preference is rather cute to me. :o)

On holly's photos above, she shows the sitting area in her master bedroom. It's the LHB. Her ceiling in that area are also LHB. But then her tray above the bed area is the AB. So they are not in the same photo exactly, but she used them in the same space. I saw photos of that space long ago, and I believe the areas are open to one another (rather than a seperate type room like yours). Sorry to put you on a wild goosechase of scrolling photos for the exact combo. :o) LOL!

That velvet bronze is going to go somewhere in our house. DH has a 3rd floor office as well, so maybe in that room?! It looks like velvet, doesn't it?! YUM! ;o)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Don't you wish you could use all the colors you love from the fan deck?! There are so many that I'd love to have in our home, but we only have so many rooms, LOL! I was so glad to live vicariously through Holly to see Ecru and Calabash, specifically. I still have so many colors paperclipped for "someday"! I hope you'll show us the photo when your DH's office is painted -- I'll bet it will be stunning!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey hoosiergirl~

Yep, way more pretty colors than rooms to paint them in. :o)

There's one coat of paint on dh's wall and ceiling today. I took a photo, but it really looks awful in the photo. IRL, it is gorgeous! ALL of the workers here today love that color (and there were several crews and several guys in there today). It looks wonderful! They kept going in there after it was painted and saying "wow" about the color. Pretty funny to see these huge linebacker looking workers oohing and ahhing over paint color. :o)

DH does wish that his ceiling was a bit darker than it is with the LHB. I think he would be happy with the whole room bathed in the AB color... LOL! It really does look awesome.

What color did you do your ceiling in your dining room Hoosiergirl?

Super duper happy with that color. I'm glad dh is a happy camper. He did well in choosing his combo. :o) This really is fun to see the rooms transforming under the paint rollers. Yipppeee!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm so happy to hear that you're both happy! I knew you'd love it!

Our ceiling is boring off-white (Antique Lace). I really do like it, but Velvet Bronze might need to be up there someday! Our ceilings are 9', though, so I don't know if that would bring them down too much.

Have fun playing with paint, Totallyblessed, LOL!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hoosiergirl~

I think I foresee some ceiling paint in your future... LOL! Our ceilings are only 10 feet, and they still look HUGE with the LHB on them. The velvet bronze you're considering is still lighter than the Antique bronze, so I bet it would be wonderful on your ceiling. And of course you could have crown molding in a light color. I think it would still be great with 9 foot ceilings.

Aren't you in a colder climate? If so, a dark rich color on that ceiling would probably REALLY cozy you up. Just my thoughts. Of course, we all know I'm not the one to ask about paint choices.... he, he, he. ;o)

I noticed I called your LR your dining room.... again. :o~ I will use the excuse that I am still viciously sick. I developed laryngitis today and the tile crew and the electricians kept having to ask me questions, and were laughing at my voice! My kids are finding it extremely humerous too. They said it sounds like I'm honking a horn... voice comes out and then cuts off........ bizarre!

WEll, it's nice that I helped so many people have a day full of laughter today. I do what I can. :op