Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative lighting in living room?

Posted by groovia (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 17:04

Has anyone seen any interesting lighting options that we might be able to use in our living room? We have no overhead lighting and no room for table or floor lamps. Is there any kind of unique wall lighting, apart from traditional sconces?

Or is it a big deal to install overhead lighting on a first floor? There are 2 recessed lights in our entry, just 6 or 7 feet from the center of our ceiling.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative lighting in living room?

You don't want overhead lighting in the LR for everyday use. It creates shadows and washes out colors when used alone, and you will miss task and ambient lighting. There are lots of great wall fixtures that you can use. Try lampsplus.com as one resource.

I am curious, though, as to why you don't have a place for table or floor lamps. Don't you have any end tables or floor space by your seating?

o

If you google phrases such as "plug in sconce" or "plug in wall light," you will pull up a variety of lights from traditional to modern.

No room for table or floor lamps? Not even room for a torchiere tucked in a corner?

o

I have no in ceiling light/light fixture in my LR and I don't have room for end tables either to use table lamps. So my 2 attemps at lighting in my LR was swagging a pendant type lamp or using 2 tall buffet type lamps on sideboard/buffet (which is actually a dresser)...

I have stuck with the 2 buffet lamps. Those have worked out the best for me. I have a small LR though.

o

This room won't be very functional without several light sources. Why don't you have room for floor lamps? Is your furniture possibly too large for the room?

You might be able to use floor lamps that have a base that slides underneath a chair or sofa. I've seen them recently on a website -- can't remember which one. At a guess, Target or Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel.

If that doesn't work, 1 Step's idea of swagging pendants might be an idea. You'll need to use several, though.

o

Just looked at Ikea's website. Link Below. They have some cool wall lights. Unfortunately they only show one that I don't really like on their website. But this will give you an idea of the style. In the store there are many different patterns for the glass. If you are near an Ikea, stop in and take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Ikea's wall lamp

o

We have a 1970's colonial, so it's a strange, small, layout and we have 3 small children, so this room is both living room and playroom. It's the first thing you see when you enter the house. Where we could put end tables on either side of the couch are these 2 monstrous cabinets that I hate, but they provide storage that we otherwise wouldn't have.

It's close enough to the dining room light and entry lights that we just use that lighting, but since I'm in the process of deciding a paint color, I determined we need some better lighting for this room.

I will be on the lookout for the floor lamps that have that hideaway base.

o
added pic RE: Alternative lighting in living room?

I didn't have a picture to post earlier since I was at work, but here are the tall buffet lamps I use for my only lighting in my LR...I have an L-shape LR/DR so I do get light from the DR area (which by the way is a swagged light fixture since there was no electric wire in the DR ceiling either)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here