Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awm03

Color inspiration from nature

awm03
10 years ago

I love the tail end of fall in Connecticut. The only colors left are the coppery beech leaves, the golden brown oaks, crimson winged euonymus bushes, burgundy barberries, dark evergreens and brown gray tree bark. Today we had a windy afternoon with fast moving clouds -- such moody lighting. Here are some pictures, focused on nothing in particular, just taken for the sheer beauty of the colors. If only the leaves would hang on for Thanksgiving -- how wonderful it would be to feast amid such splendor.

Comments (14)

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Those are lovely (even though I don't like this time of year). Thanks for sharing them.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

The red tones are yummy.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I chipped one:

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

The bark colors and the reds - sawooooon!

• User
    10 years ago

#3 my favorite too ! Chippedâ¦hahaâ¦.play on the wood and leaves in the pic.

I love the fragrance of Fall. Grandson and I played in leaves and I buried himâ¦he was distraught at firstâ¦hmmâ¦his Momma hasn't done this before. But then he wanted me to do it again and again and thenâ¦he signed "nap" â¦.in the leaves â¦YES ! My kind of grandson.

Thank you for posting such lovely pics. c

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Awm-beautiful pictures as usual. I love the colors this time of year but hate that it leads us to winter. I like walking through the woods taking pictures of the leaf colors and also the structure of the branches, the patterns in the bark, mosses, etc. The sun makes some beautiful shadows this time of year. I took the advise you gave mountain and bought a copy of paintshop. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but I am going to try to learn at least a little of it. Thanks for inspiring us with the beautiful pictures.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How pretty. This one makes a beautiful color palette. Love the copper tones!

• awm03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love the color palettes! How cool!

Countryatheart, it's exciting that you bought PaintShop Pro. We can learn together :) The more I get to know it, the more I really like it. Re winter, Diane Arbus said, "I seem to have discovered... early winter sun light. It's just marvelous." So there's a photographic challenge for us -- find out what is special about early winter light.

Thanks for your kind comments, everybody.

• kiki_thinking
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

Anele, how did you chip it?

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

What is all that red in the third photo down? I understand your affection for the season. When I lived in Michigan, fall was my favorite.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

So pretty! I never knew euonymus had so much color. Is that a barberry in the lower part of your 3rd photo? I love fall too and wish we had the colors you do. Our trees often go straight from green to brown.

• awm03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's winged euonymous in the 3rd photo. Believe it or not, it's considered an invasive species as it spreads readily from bird droppings. When green, it's a nondescript, shapeless plant that grows in the edges of the woods. But in fall, wow!

The first photo shows barberry bushes with a beech tree in the background.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Chip it! is from sherwin williams...you can download it to your machine and then click a picture and chip it to get an array of SW paint colors that work with the picture.

I used color palette fx which is a website that will pull colors out of a photo you upload.

The euonymous alatus is also known as burning bush because of the bright red color it turns. It's starting to show up everywhere in the woods because the deer don't eat it. The same thing with the Japanese barberry, berberis thunbergii...which not only is invasive but is believed to play a role in the spread of lyme disease.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

How beautiful. I adore fall. The colors in the landscape are just lovely and turns the hills and woodlands where we live alive with color. Nature's final hurrah before the bleakness of winter sets in.

Trail, I love the smell of fall also, so earthy and fragrant.