Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Where the deer and the an-te-lope rooooooam!

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Okay, so my cracker jack GC's brilliant sub never caulked the shower stall in one of my bathrooms (the CT house).

It caused a leak that ruined the (new, wool), wall to wall sisal in my guest room.

So, it is unsightly and must be replaced.

I tried to order the same ole thing, but it is discontinued. I can get a very similar wool sisal, or, I can go wild.

I always liked this antelope carpet, and I would have used it in my LR but I had some nice area rugs from the old house that I wanted to use.

The guest room is a tabula rasa. The walls are FnB Lime White. The bed and bedding are headed to our new Maine house.

Whattya think?

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 17:52

Comments (23)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think it's Karastan (Aberdale(?)) and yes, use it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh good, thanks!

I don't know. When I looked at it 2 years ago, I thought it was Stark.Then someone explained to me that Stark was a retailer (or in this case with this product they were just the retailer).

Anyway, they had it at my local, not particularly fancy, carpet store. FWIW it was supposedly on sale and it was $8.38 a sq foot, plus install, padding, remove, etc. ... close to $10/sq ft

I had a very large sample the last time I looked at it, it really is nicely done. If you google it it has been used a lot in decor mags. Looks really super going up a staircase.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Very neat!

• sas95
    10 years ago

That sounds like a total deal. Stark itself wouldn't sell toilet paper in that price range. I'd love to get a rug cut and bound from that. But yes, definitely go for it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I like the rug too and if you are starting with a tabula rasa, then I would go for it. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL! SAS 95

I, too, was bracing for something crazy price-wise. Maybe they make different quality antelope. Maybe mine comes from a crummy line of bum antelope.

Thanks of your input, Ineffable, and Annie!

• theclose
    10 years ago

I have always, always loved that carpet!! You should totally do it. I have wool sisal in my den, and while I love it and would get it again, it is safe. Go wild!!

• suero
    10 years ago

It looks like Stark cut pile antelope carpet, not Karastan. Shades of Billy Baldwin. He used that carpet in the dressing room of Harding Lawrence.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Love! Go for it!

..plus as much as I adore sisal it's nice to do something fun and different....

This post was edited by Janice742 on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 18:33

• busybee3
    10 years ago

looks really super going up a staircase??? hmmmm.... i've been thinking about neutrals--- that might be a fun neutral to use as a runner...!!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I LOVE it! That is one beautiful carpet. I am swooning!

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I love the antelope carpet. Would it be too much for this room?

Here is a link that might be useful: James Farmer's Atlanta Symphony Show House Guest Room

• porkandham
    10 years ago

I love it it! Friends of ours have in their main house and their vacation home in the mountains. They used to have sisal but switched to the antelope when their babies were crawling because it's softer on the knees!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I love it! I think you should go for it over getting the same old same old!

(I am kinda wishing I would have seen it before I ordered my carpet runner that is never going to come in)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

The brand is Helios, and it is all nylon -- hence the low price. I bet the Stark one was wool.

Here it is FWIW:

• User
    10 years ago

I like it, but it doesn't say "antelope" to me. Instead it reminds me of the light pattern from a disco ball light. Or just irregular polka dots. If the room is sort of our of the way I would def use it. And I hope your GC is paying.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Sorry mtd'dux, but I have to agree w/kswl. When I looked at the first picture I did think it was dots. Maybe the pattern is too uniform, and not as sporadic as a true skin, but if it's a great price, I would go for it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, disco ball.

I don't know if I've ever seen an antelope, but I love the pattern just the same. If you google it, you will see it is used a lot. I like it best on a staircase

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I am not sure what it actually looks like is as important as if it looks good as itself. I like it for itself, and I would use it in the right place.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

I think it is fantastic! good find.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

tabula rasa.????

Mtd'dux , you have such a great vocabulary, I am always going to the dictionary after one of your posts.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pal, thanks Pip.

Thanks Lyban. Although I need to 'fess up i spelled it wrong the first time I used it. Cyn wised me up.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH