Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Would you vote please on my living room ceiling?

TxMarti
10 years ago

Originally the house had a couple of railroad track beams down the middle and paneled walls. When we took off the paneling, the top of the wall wasn't straight. We thought of planking the ceiling, or crown molding and finally decided to put a few side beams. It helped bring the ceiling down a bit visually and also makes it seem more square rather than a bowling alley.

We looked at a lot of pictures of ceilings on houzz and this is the way dh decided it should be done. I think it needs side beams on each end to anchor the pieces at the top of the walls and the railroad tracks in the middle of the top.

From a selling perspective, should we
1) Leave it as it is
2) Put side beams at each end

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

Consider this one vote for the additional beams - I think that would finish it off beautifully! Love your ceilings!!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I lean towards adding the beams on each end. What a lovely room!

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Another vote for additional beams.

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

Definitely additional beams. It looks unfinished now. Love the room.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I vote no additional beams, beams (real support ones) would not normally be placed at the edges of the room since those are supported by the walls. So I think it would make them look fake.

• hoosierbred
    10 years ago

We are doing something almost identical to this in our new build family room. We plan to use beams at both of the ends. We are calling it a coffered vaulted with a flat middle ceiling.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the compliments. I can't wait to get this done.

And thanks to those who backed up my thought. It looks unfinished to me too. Dh agrees with tinan. I thought he was going to say if I wanted the ends done to go do it, but instead he asked if the yes votes here would come do it. lol

The sides beams were so much easier than stripping and restaining those train track beams; I think a couple of Aleve and a good night's sleep and he might be ready to tackle it tomorrow.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's one for his argument, but it doesn't show the center beam on the opposite wall and it looks perfectly anchored on the fireplace. Also, it doesn't have the pieces at the top of the wall like ours, and those are the main reason ours seems to be hanging in midair, I think.

[Rustic Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2111) by Phoenix Interior Designers & Decorators Ernesto Garcia Interior Design, LLC

This one is much like ours. It looks fine and I think it's because the beams don't end into a blank wall. Wish I could see the opposite wall.

[Traditional Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by Birmingham Interior Designers & Decorators Tracery Interiors

This post was edited by marti8a on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 22:13

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

Another vote for adding side beams. Cool ceiling!

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I think side beams or add more beams on either side of the existing beams. So one on either end (total 2) or add some next to the existing two beams(that makes 3 more to add)

• User
    10 years ago

marti,
    Personally, I wouldn't put any additional beams on.
    I know what you are saying, you think it is missing those beams, but I think it emphasizes the main focal point in the room if you don't put those dark side beams on that back wall, it leads your eyes right towards the fireplace.
    The fireplace is the focal point, not the ceiling.
    But, you know what, it's your home, and if it really bothers you, put them up if you think it would look better.
    Beautiful room by the way.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Another vote for side beams.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would either paint the ceiling the same color as the walls and leave the beams as they are or add the beams without painting. You could do both but that might be a lot to do just to sell.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I think this is a good example of where the walls and ceiling need to be the same color. I don't think you'll miss the end beams if you do that.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

For selling, I would not do it. That's a lot of work for someone else who is unlikely to notice one way or the other.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I vote no on the end beams. I think it'll be too heavy up top.
    I vote yes on all one color paint.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I like aktillery's suggestion to paint the ceiling the same as the wall color. I think I would do that first and live with it for awhile. If you still feel like something is missing you could at the beams later. I love the paint color. Can you tell me what it is?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish we could live with it awhile but bil wants his scaffold back so it's now or never. Dh isn't happy about it, but we're adding them.

p.s. I just noticed localeater's light fixture post and the placement of the beams in her house. It has a finished look that I like.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 14:23