Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

Thoughts on this mirror for the living room?

theclose
10 years ago

When I went in to order my romans, I saw this mirror in a catalog the proprietors had and I think I like it. It has the right dimensions and it has a bit of interest in the shape. The finish is the right color as well. Thoughts? TIA!

Living room:

Mirror:

Comments (40)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    10 years ago

I like the shape. How is the scale for your space?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

And along with the scale... what will it be reflecting?

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scale works. Width is 40", so there is about 5" on either side between mirror and topiary. Height wise there is about 4-5" above and below.

It will be reflecting a large oil painting on the opposite wall. Here is a pic:

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like that mirror alot.
    If the scale is right then go for it.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, lyban! I think I might do it.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes!!! An another vote to buy that lovely mirror!

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, teacats!

So, a question on scale. Is there an appropriate size? Since I can't try it out before buying, I guess I won't know until it gets here. Or is there a standard of sorts?

Mantle is 84" long. Height from mantle to base of crown molding is 39 1/4". Mirror is 40" wide and 27" tall. The inner edge of topiaries are 9" in from side of mantle, leaving 66" of width for the mirror. I was guestimating above and I was a little off. There will be 13" on either side of mirror to topiary and 6" above and below mirror. Does that sound ok? To me it does but what do I know!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Make a cut out and place it against the said wall and see how it looks.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, yayagal, that makes sense!

• kam76
    10 years ago

I think the mirror is lovely! If it fits I would go for it.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a mock up. Yay or nay?

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DH thinks we should look for something wider. I know we could go wider but should we? Probably a subjective question. Hmmm...

• springroz
    10 years ago

I think you should move the topiaries in a bit, not put something up that is wider....but I love the mirror, too!

Nancy

• jockewing
    10 years ago

Is that an old Baker or Henredon couch? Looks like really good bones, and I know it's audacious, but I love how colorful and alive the pattern is. Don't know if I'd go with something quite that loud, but as I get older I find I crave bright color and pattern more and more. By the way your room is really elegant and has great bones.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea springroz! I did just that and here is a pic:

Thing is, I like the mirror a lot. I have been looking for something with that shape and here it is. So, I would rather keep it but if it isn't the right size, I don't want that either! After moving the topiaries, DH asked if I enlarged the mirror size template. So, the illusion worked! He says it works now. I am going to live with the template there for a bit to make sure. Thanks for the advice!

jock, thanks so much! I really love the couch. Also has a matching club chair. I am not sure of the manufacturer as I purchased it second hand from a great upscale consignment site. We liked the lines of it and the fabric has a good story - the woman that owned them had Schumacher reprint this fabric custom for her. It is kitschy and fun for a while. Very Palm Beach! One day we will reupholster but for now it works.

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

I love the mirror and the sofa fabric. You just can't do better than Schumacher fabric. Beautiful room. I'd love to see a full view of the fireplace wall and more of the entire room actually. It's hard to see the sofa painting as it appears dark in your photo. Have you ever hung any prints or a painting over the sofa that was lighter in color and more in keeping with the feel of the fabric and fireplace and put the present painting elsewhere in your home?

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

I just was looking at your room photos again and realized when I posted before and mentioned color and wanting to see your fireplace wall the photo I was looking at on my screen made the fireplace look to be a bright vivid blue! A lighting illusion and trick by the camera. Of course I see now it is white. Does anyone else see this bright blue fireplace in the one photo? After I posted I looked back at the other photos and of course saw what had happened with the actual white paint with the camera lighting.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty, ha! I do see the blue fireplace!! Funny. I was too lazy to get out my good camera and used my phone. Pink living room and blue fireplace- that would be interesting!

As for the painting, I agree that it's dark and tonally not the best choice but it's one of those items with sentimental value that I need to have up and unfortunately there is no other wall that can accommodate it.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some better pics - with better lighting!

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

Aha! Much better, though the bright blue fireplace did have a definite Caribbean vibe. We live in the Atlanta 'burbs and the contractor who renovated my kitchen had done one of the Braves player's home here who was from Puerto Rico. Every room was a different very bright color- bright purple living room, vivid blue kitchen, hot pink bedroom, etc. I thought maybe you were into this décor when I saw the blue fireplace. (Only joking!)

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I think the mirror would look lovely there and the scale (with the topiaries moved in) is good.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patty, that house sounds very .... interesting. I love color but that might be a little much for me!

lolauren, thanks! I am committing. I think.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

mamorella, the picture above the sofa is so interesting. Can you tell us more about it? I can't quite tell what it is depicting! It's very nice.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Love the mirror - and the topiaries moved in make such a difference.

I can imagine some beautiful Christmas decorations there as well.... So nice to have a wide space to work with.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nancybee, thank you so much. While I don't know the specifics of the pic, here is what I can tell you. The wife of a neighbor (I say that b/c she passed before I was born) was a housekeeper to a famous Broadway composer/lyricist. He gave her this painting as a gift. Supposedly it hung in a theatre in NYC, but I can't verify that. It depicts a Japanese woman breastfeeding, two other women in the background and a man with the package on the left seems to be begging her for something. We had it cleaned, restored and framed last year. Before that, there were a few holes and we didn't even know there were two women in the background! It was that dirty.

janice, thank you! I think it will look great. I haven't hit "buy" yet but will do so soon. And funny, I have been buying Christmas decorations for the last month! I can't wait!!

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Hit the "buy" button, already!!! Spot-on perfect for your beautiful room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like the size, and shape is interesting and different but fits your room.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Nobody else thinks the mirror template is hung just a little too high? I'd like it better with its bottom just 2 inches or so above the mantel.

Otherwise, I like it.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, mtn!

Littlebug, thanks for your input. No worries on placement. It's not centered perfectly either. I agree with your point.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

That is so interesting about the painting! I can see why you're attached to it.

Can't wait to see the real mirror in place!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

I flew through this thread, so didn't see this brought up, but does anyone else think that the painting would be better suited over the fireplace and the mirror over the sofa? To me, the sofa colors take away from the painting.

I love the mirror and the painting!

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

newhome, I agree. Believe me - we tried every wall in the house. The painting is huge. It is a good 12" higher than the space above the mantle. My ceilings are only 8'.

In our 2 former residences, the painting was hanging above our bed. Our bedroom has always been the same color - BM Middlebury Brown. The painting looked great against it. If we took the existing sconces out of our current bedroom, we could hang the painting there. But I will be honest - even though it will look great, with 8' ceilings, I will be hitting my head against the frame when sitting up in bed, which is what happened in both of my other bedrooms. I was happy to get it out of my room!

So, this is literally the only wall in the house that it fits on. And keep in mind we won't always have that print on the sofas. Definitely temporary (bought second hand).

I do appreciate all the thoughts and input!!

• Jules
    10 years ago

I love the mirror but not as much as I love that fabric on your sofa and chair. How fun! Do you have a Dorothy Draper / Carleton Varney vibe going in the room? I see just a hint of a brass bar cart as well as maybe an animal print chair. I'd love to see more.

• Jules
    10 years ago

Are you familiar with the Grand Hotel in Michigan? Your floral fabric reminds me of the fabric used in the Main Dining Room. I've always been a fan of their drum shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down about half way

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm glad you took a picture of the fireplace & mirror with the sconces included.
    The size looks perfect. It's a really pretty mirror. I'm glad it's going to work for you.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Perfect size and shape. Can't wait to see it in the room!

• amykath
    10 years ago

That mirror is perfect! Love it! Get it!

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I really like the mirror and current placement! However, I would use something lower on either side of the mirror instead of the topiaries, which are too much of a height with the sconces. Design wise, they also don't seem to fit into the scheme. Jmo :-)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Go for it, beautiful choice. It's going to look so lovely. DH is wrong lol.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, All!!

jujubean, I am utterly flattered!!! I love Draper/Varney and have looked in many of their books and online pics for inspiration. I had seen the Grand Hotel pics but forgot about that print in the dining room. So so gorgeous! A friend went to the Greenbrier recently and sent me a pic of one of the cafes' wallpaper. It is the Varney take on the Beverly Hills banana leaf. I wanted that for my dining room but the cost was prohibitive so I went with drapes in a similar, but way less expensive, banana leaf fabric. Here is a pic (it's kind of dark - sorry):

I will try and get better pics of the living room today, when there is better light. And I think the fabric on the couch/chair is great too! DH was the one that wanted to get them in the first place but now he doesn't like them as much as he thought he would. No matter, they are going to stay for a while. I would rather keep them and spend $ on things we need! Or things I want more. : )

kswl, funny you mention the topiaries. Even without the mirror I was thinking they might be too tall. Still not sure but I will see what I think when the mirror is in place for a bit.

yaya, ha!