Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

How to go about choosing fabric for dining room chairs

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I want to get started on refurbishing my dining room chairs. Basically, I plan to remove the seat cushions, clean and use Restore-a-Finish on the frames, then put new batting and fabric on the seat cushions.

I'm just getting started in fabric selection for the seat covers and need some suggestions of what types of fabric to look for--that are fairly easy to work with as well as more stain resistant. I'd love to work some stripes into the room, but perhaps that would be too difficult for a DIY project.

{{!gwi}}

Built-in buffet:

{{!gwi}}

Close up of rug:

{{!gwi}}

Close up of drapes:

{{!gwi}}

What are some good sources for ordering fabric online. What about eBay? Any good brands and/or types of material to search for?

Comments (23)

• maymester
    15 years ago

Beautiful,classic DR furniture! I just covered 10 DR chairs with fabric I ordered online from FabricGuru. It was so inexpensive and you can order samples which come very quickly. Maybe a burgundy/gold woven for your seats?

Here is a link that might be useful: DR chair fabrics

• loribee
    15 years ago

Lovely room! I went to Joann's with coupon in hand and got a neutral fabric~ we found a honey colored chenille that's comfy and will go with anything. :) Good luck!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I think stripes, perhaps in beige, red and blue to go with the rug, would really add drama to this room. The furniture is really beautiful and I think your idea of recovering the chairs would add so much. Since you already have patterns in your rug and carpet I think stripes would be perfect, although I have no idea how difficult that would be.

May I suggest more colorful pictures with darker frames? Right now your room seems to lack a little color on the walls in comparison to the carpet and furniture. You want to bring some of that color up to eye level to add vibrancy. Perhaps some color among the glasses in the buffet would also add more interest to that area. I hope you don't mind these ancillary suggestions.

Ingrid

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Val, I would certainly go to some fabric stores in your area and buy some samples, perhaps a quarter yard piece? That way, you can try it in your room with your rug and drapes, to see how well you like it. You won't need that much for even the whole set of chairs. I think I bought about 3 yards for my six and I think I have too much. Depends on the size of the seat. I don't know what color you are looking for, or whether you want to lean towards easy clean/good wear, or more to visual beauty?

Red

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I am confused on your room and the photos you posted. Is the built-in buffet (Butlers Pantry) actually in your dining room and is that a refridge or ice maker in the middle?

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Val

Just stopping by - you have done such a terrific job on your home. TRUST your instincts - they haven't failed you yet :)

Don't know if you recall - but I went through same thing with my DR chairs - It's labor intensive but certainly not hard - I cleaned every knook & cranny w/000 steel wool & mineral spirits - then used glazing compound (fr. auto body supply store! - yes rec by a furniture restorer in my area) then used lemon oil - you could also use high quality car wax
    Re: Fabrics stripes are fine & will show nicely w/your room/decor - really not hard to work with - esp if you choose a non slippery type upolstery fabric - I choose a heavy fabric & the only place I purchase fabrics now is Fabric guru (link below) INCREDIBLE inventory, pricing, customer svc - fast/cheap shipping. Good friend who has her own furniture/int design biz couldn't believe the site, and now uses them for her personal use as she can't get that pricing!

My chairs

One on right was orig fabric (actually several layers!)

Let me know if I can be of any help - sweat equity, right products - batting, material, elec staple gun you are set
    Oh, give the fabric a good scotch guard treatment before applying - 1/2 yd per chair will give you plenty (4yds for 8 chairs)

Ok because I'm such a fabric junky - did a quick search

not sure if the red is right
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=31965

This works & price can't hurt!
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=30262

Like this the best so far
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=32229

More fabric than you need... but
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=35049

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=34386

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=31545

Link to striped fabrics
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=categories&category_id=37

Careful - Addictive site!

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric guru

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

yes, I am a junky

Ok more - I tried to line up photos side by side your DR top photo - click on "view larger image" on fabrics you like then make it smaller so you can have side by side view

Safe
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=40877

hmmm maybe
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=44218

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=60833

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=55239

http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=40642

****Becoming a FAV ****
    http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=46779
    better red w/your rug & has some blue in it too!

Ok, I think I'm done (but you never know) too many choices! I keep going to something w/red - I think some red will give you a little more interest/punch

Can't wait to see!

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

A small print or stripe that would pull together the colors in the rug and drapes would work best. Print or stripe, because they hide small stains better. I recovered my old dining room chairs several times, and it's pretty easy. Two people working together makes it even easier. Pretty dining room, BTW!
    Lynn

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maymester: Thanks for the recommendation of fabricguru. I'm going to check it out.

ideefixe: I'm also going to check the names you listed on eBay.

red: I was thinking I'd need more than 3 yards. I guess it depends on the pattern/repeat.

NHB: Yes, the buffet is in the DR and, yes, it does have a wine/beverage refrigerator in it. The DR is actually fairly small so it's hard to get a good picture showing everything. The first picture is the view from the entryway and the buffet is on the left most wall from the first picture.

jejvtr: Yours look lovely. Did you do the stripe or paisley? Your stripe looks very nice. I appreciate all the step-by-step suggestions since I think our chairs are from the same era and probably had similar finishing techniques. I am debating whether or not to do it now in time for Thanksgiving (we are hosting it this year) or afterwards. I may start with the arm chairs since I don't need to use the arm chairs for Thanksgiving dinner and see how is goes--assuming I can settle on a fabric before then. Then at least they'll be done for Christmas. I can use lots of help--from the instructions to a shopping list. I can provide the sweat. :) Any particular type of staple gun? How about batting thickness? It sounds like you do not recommend Restore-a-Finish and to use instead the glazing compound, lemon oil, carwax? What does the glazing compound do? From looking at your pics it's hard to see the difference between the before/after on the finish. I'm now going to look at all the fabric suggestions.

Lynn: Thanks for the vote of a stripe. That is what I'd like to do as well.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

val
    I used the stripe

I never tried RAF - just took the wisdom fr. a professional furniture refinisher whom I trust
    Mineral spirits & 000 steel wool to clean (go w/grain of wood) I think I even used toothbrush in crevices - it will look hazy & awful after this treatment - no worries
    Then I took damp rags & wiped, wiped, wiped -
    Then apply the 3M product
    Here -
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtMX&Elx46EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

Rub on/off - like wazing a car

Then lemon oil

The seat is easy - I had mult layers, tacks, staples which took time to remove - use the plywood base as template to cut both batting & material apply, flip over pull tightly - staple away - I think I did corners like a hospital bed corner - cut access material

I'll help any way I can

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SO far of the ones jejvtr posted I like the following:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This one is railroaded. I am assuming I could rotate the direction for the chairs to have the stripes run front to back:

{{!gwi}}

I really like this paisley by Kravat:

{{!gwi}}

Ideally, I'd want the fabrics to also coordinate with my LR which is across from the DR--in case I want to pull a couple of DR chairs into the LR for entertaining.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since many seem to be sold in set amounts I am wondering how much fabric I need for 8 chairs--3-4 yards? If I have extra fabric I can always make a runner with it--but perhaps that is too much of the same fabric in the room.

Also, how accurate are the colors shown on the website? Many of the fabrics seem to be sold in lots where I cannot order a sample--though the closeups give me a pretty good idea and for the price and amount of choice I am very tempted to place an order.

I also like these:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    Too knubby?
    {{!gwi}}
    This one seems a very versatile/classic combination:
    {{!gwi}}

This one I think would also look nice in my LR:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I like this one too--or is it too busy?

{{!gwi}}

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Val
    I'll give it a try
    1 - reads wrong tones red is salmon, green-kelly
    2 Yes
    3 yes
    4th Love that but not sure w/drapes, rug
    5 yes
    6 no worng tones
    7 too brown/wine
    8 no
    9 no
    10 too knubby
    11 - classic - yes

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Val,
    I really like #11 - the one you called classic. Think it would look beautiful with your drapes.
    I did stripes on my DR chairs - I am by no means professional but they were easy.
    Put your 1st staple in the center top & work out from there - leaving the corners - then wrap them like a present.

Smiles:)

• housefairy
    15 years ago

Valinsv, you might want to attach fusible webbing on the back of your fabric. With stripes especially this will make the fabric firmer, and will help keep it's nice crisp lines. It keeps it from stretching and looking old before it's time. Just a thought. Then buy some 303 Fabric Guard. TEST on a scrap first, but if the color doesn't bleed, this is great stuff. Read the label. I used this in my new vehicle, great stuff. No comparison to scotch-guard.

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

Val, order samples of every fabric you are considering! I did this when picking out a fabric for my roman blinds and just by feeling them I was able to completely take 1/2 of my choices out of the running. Fabric guru got my samples to me, all the way up here in Alaska, in 4 days.. they are $1.00 a piece with no shipping, so it's definitely worth it.

Veronica

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jejvtr: Thanks for the feedback. I am still looking. You are right--that sight is addictive. I think part of the problem is my rug was an impulse buy--used Karastan on CL for $300--and the colors there tend to be more on the cool side whereas the curtains are more on the warm side. The navy reads more blackish IRL. I think I would prefer to coordinate with the drapes since I can see myself swapping out this rug at some point... My instincts don't always steer me in the right direction and there are lots of detours. How did your house turn out after you painted it? I remember some progress pics, but not a final.

housefairy: Thanks for the tip on the fusable interfacing and the fabric guard. I will look into both of those for my project.

ronnieroo: That is probably best to just order the samples. I saw on another DR chair thread where the poster bought fabric online and the online pic looked different than her pic. What fabric project are you working on? I haven't seen any posts from you lately.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Val,
    I like #11 with your drapes - it looks like it has more of the paprika color from your drapes. I remembered you were not totally pleased with the rug so I didn't really consider it.

Here is a pic of my DR chairs. The fabric might actually work for you?? I do not need it anymore. If you would like a sample, please let me know. I will send you a swatch. If you like it I would send you the fabric needed.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Now, I will not be offended at all if you are not interested!! Just thought I'd offer.

Smiles:)

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

Val,

I'm working on insulated roman blinds for my big windows.. I need something to block out a little of the draft from those humongous things, LOL. Yeah, I haven't been that "into" decorating lately. Stevie has not been doing well and we've been stuck trying to get him in for a major eval to see if we can figure out what's going on with him. We leave on Sunday to spend the week in Anchorage, where he'll get an MRI, EEG, blood work, neuropsych evaluation, etc. Hopefully they'll figure out a way to help him and I can think about more frivolous things for a while. I still haven't painted, but now I want to wait for that until I get these blinds done.... maybe January at the pace I'm moving, ROFL. Hope all is well with your kiddos and good luck with these chairs, as everything else in your house, they are beautiful and I can't wait to see them completed.

~~Veronica

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

johnatemp: That is very pretty and yes I would like to see a swatch--assuming you have enough material for 8 chairs. I would think I'd need around 4 yards, maybe a bit less as I need to measure it out. One thing I am finding difficult is to judge the width of the stripes online and how it will layout on a chair. I will email you my address.

ronnieroo: Insultated roman blinds, yes I can see that would be impt. in your neck of the woods. I'm sorry to hear about Stevie not doing well, poor little guy. I do hope you can get some answers in Anchorage to help him out. We'll keep him in our prayers.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

johnatemp: Can you send me an email and I'll reply with my address? Yours is not listed on your My Page.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received the fabric today from Johna. I think it's just lovely. What does everyone think? I'm mainly focusing on the drapes--since I find the rug to be a bit on the cool side for my decor.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

It even goes with my LR colors as well:

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!