Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

LR - part 2 con't. I bought Deb's table

bac717
9 years ago

For those of you following and helping with the changes in our LR, here's the latest addition. I stopped by Deb's (dlm2000) today and got the table. I'm afraid it might be too small, but let's see what you think.

Here's my drum table.

And here's the table from Deb. I didn't move the chairs closer together. Maybe that's what it needs.

Here are my thoughts. I like the black table in the window, love the gallery edge and think the height is better, but it's only 20" across. My drum table is 28" across, but a little too tall. What are your thoughts?

Comments (23)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Can you push the chairs closer towards the table?

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Push the chairs closer to the table, and don't look back at the photo of the original table. It may take awhile for you to get used to the new one but it really does look good.

ML

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I missed prior posts, but what didn't you like about the drum?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

To me, it looks too small for the lamp.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

It's the lamp, as sueb said. The lamp is too tall and looks like it's going to topple over. You need a lamp that has more bulk to it and visual weight. Taking back what I just said - it may not be the height of the lamp at all but it is the visual weight. Your lamp may not be any taller than what I had on the table - hard to tell.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

What was wrong with the drum table? I have one just like it. However, I also love Deb's table, but place it somewhere else. ;)

This is really weird, but we have a similar rug, too. hehehe

Sorry the photo is so dark.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 18:28

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I prefer the 1st(larger) table with the chairs... to me, the 2nd table looks too small with the size of the chairs...

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Agree with the others -- the table needs more heft to balance with the chairs and the whole set-up needs a shorter lamp with a larger base.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll try pushing the chairs in closer to the table.

The drum table is fine, except for the height. I'd prefer it to be a few inches shorter.

Disregard the lamp. It's just what I have for now. I agree that with the drum table the lamp needs to be wider and shorter. With Deb's table, I'm not sure what kind of lamp to use.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I actually prefer the drum table to the newer, too small table. I don't think moving the chairs closer or getting a new lamp is going to make it work.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Glad you see bought the table. Move your chairs closer to the table, so the three pieces work as one arrangement. I agree with the other GW's, the lamp you use needs to be more in line with the lamp dlm2000 used with the table and chairs. I do like your original drum table, but the height just doesn't work as well as it could/should with the chairs, but works/looks great in the corner next to the couch! Also I would pull your drapery panels a bit toward the middle of your window.

This post was edited by CarolT924 on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 21:14

• dody40
    9 years ago

Too my eye, I would also move the chairs closer together, replace the lamp with the floor lamp, behind and a little to the side of the table. Try the plant that is on the coffee table on your new table to help give it some bulk.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I do not see that the drum table is too high. If you look at newhomebulder's photo, it's about the same height as yours in relation to her chairs and it looks great. If you need to try to make things "work", that's a sign that it isn't working if you know what I mean.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

IMO, the drum table was perfect there. It is a more elegant and substantial piece. The new table is very nice but doesn't have the right heft. The chairs are largish so they overwhelm it.

I would use the small table in front of your floor lamp and then create an attractive vignette on it.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I think the new table would work better as a table adjacent to a single chair, without a lamp, as opposed to a table shared by two chairs. It's too small for the latter scenario IMO.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Agree with those who say the drum table works better there. It doesn't look to be that much taller than the small table.

• User
    9 years ago

I prefer the drum table there. The height doesn't bother me. I actually sometimes prefer tables to be a tad higher than the chairs. I've seen it done many times in other photos of rooms I've found appealing - even though this may not be 'correct'. I love the other table, but think it's a tad small for that spot and the lamp a little big for it.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

the smaller table doesn't go with the room at all - color wise, size wise or style. I liked the first table better. I see where it's a tad too tall, but I didn't even notice that as a problem until you brought it up.

The two chairs are hefty enough in style they need a solid looking table in-between them.

If you really don't like the height of the original table, I'd look for an identical one is size/width just 2" shorter. But honestly, I think it looks fine.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You ALL are right. I will keep the drum table in the window with the two chairs. Filling the empty corner (where the drum table was originally), I have moved the rectangular end table with the drop sides. It doesn't look too bad there. The other side of the sofa is empty for now.

I'm sure I will find a home for the black table with the gallery edge (Deb's table) somewhere in my home. It's such a cute table.

So, now it's on the search for the right lamp for the drum table in the window. - something shorter with a wider base. Anyone have any suggestions???? Perhaps this will be a future post - LR Part 3. I have done a little looking on line and I just have to share this beautiful lamp I found for a mere $1,200!!!!! But wouldn't it be just the perfect shape for that space?

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

This lamp is similar and a **lot** less expensive!

Here is a link that might be useful: short glass lamp

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I love the drum table between the two chairs!

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I agree that you need a more substantial lamp on that table. However, I don't know that a round lamp is the right one. You would just have to try it I guess. I think the round lamp would look too much like the round table.

I think something simple like this would look nice. This table is way taller than the chairs - maybe a little too much and it still looks good.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

caroleoh - I'm not sure about the shape of the lamp, either. Or the height! It will probably be a matter of trial and error for me. I do like the shape of the lamp in the pic you posted. I'll have to look for something like that. Would you describe it as a balustrade?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022