Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

Need help choosing paint color once and for all!

fluffybutt
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you guys can help me choose and stick to one neutral paint color for much of the downstairs and upstairs hall. Right now I have several going on, due to my indecisiveness in this matter. It's an open floor plan and I thought since I can't change the kitchen, that is where I should start.

I'm deciding between BM putnam ivory, BM monroe bisque, SW Row House Tan. Valspar has a color "antique" that looks like it could work. Does anyone know which one of these particular colors would go best, or can you recommend another? I don't want it to look "peachy." The kitchen lighting is ok but the adjacent family room is kind of dark.

This beautiful room on the internet is monroe bisque and I love how the color looks in that room, just so you get an idea of what I'm going for--a nice soft look. I'd much appreciate your help!

Comments (11)

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

Did you know that Benjamin Moore has an app on their Facebook page? You can post photos of your space and solicit opinions from their designers on what would work best. They can likely identify some of the undertones in your cabinets and tiles and paint choices. They can definitely help you avoid "peachy."

When I used it, I got a response by the next day, too.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting that info, Bobby99. I didn't know that! I did get a sample of Monroe Bisque and I think it looks pretty good but I think I'm going to get a sample of Shaker Beige and Manchester Tan just to be sure.

• User
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting that FB clue for Benjamin Moore. I did want to add that I have similar features in my kitchen and after years of deliberating took the plunge for Shaker Beige and love it -- others had mentioned it had a pinkiness to it but I do not see it at all.
    In addition, in another room (master bathroom ) with different lighting and features, I used putnam ivory and it is a very lovely tan. If anything I think it has a yellow/brown cast to it, but it is a lovely subdued color. I am curious to see what you end up with.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My problem is that I need to concentrate on this one room, and not keep going into every room to see if the color works with what is there. Do you agree with this logic? Is that the way to go? Since it's an open plan, I'd like to do a lighter or darker shade of the same color for the living room and dining room so I take the color that looks good in the kitchen to those rooms and find it doesn't go with my new curtains or sofa, etc. in those rooms and get discouraged! I may just need to get new furnishings for those rooms. After five years of living in this house, I have given myself a deadline to get this done by Christmas, when the inlaws come to visit.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I have seen Monroe Bisque used in a number of different types of rooms (a darkish den, a master bedroom with good natural light, etc.) and it looks good everywhere. Just my 2 cents.

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

I have used Putman Ivory in my LR and DR and love it. It has been at least 7 years now and I never get tired of it.
    My daughter also used it in her master bedroom.
    Here are some photos.
    My Living room:
    {{!gwi}}
    My Dining room:
    {{!gwi}}
    My daughters bedroom:
    {{!gwi}}

• lucillle
    12 years ago

If it is not the decorating but your indecisiveness that is the problem, just realize that no one does paint 'once and for all'. It's just paint, you can change it. They are all nice colors, pick one and as they say in Nike-land, just do it.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the photos Lyban. The color looks nice in your rooms.

I wish it were that easy Lucille, but it's so much work to paint this much area, not to mention the cost of all the paint. So I really want to get it right this time and be happy with my decision, instead of doing all that work and not liking it. Been there, done that already. Thanks for the little nudge though!

• loribee
    12 years ago

It is hard work choosing the perfect color~~
    I used BM standish white thru out my home and I'm quite happy with it. Have you looked at that chip? Here are several pix so you can see how it looks in different rooms. Good LUCK!

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Loribee, I've always loved your rooms! Thanks for posting them so I can see the color. I think it's a little yellow for my kitchen though. I think I've got it narrowed down so I'm going to get some samples and see.

Does anyone know if the photo I posted above is an accurate depiction of Monroe Bisque?

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I'd say that pic is pretty accurate.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!