Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrice607

Furniture Protections Insurance?

patrice607
9 years ago

I posted this on the furniture forum, but have only recevied one response. Hopefully, this forum is a little busier.

I bought a new leather couch from a local retailer who delivered it yesterday and is going out of business at the end of the month. I purchased a warranty through Montage Furniture Services for $200.00. I am thinking of cancelling the protection plan since the retailer won't be around to help me if I have a claim. Has anyone had an experience with this company?

Reviews are spotty and they are not BBB accredited. I don't usually buy furniture insurance but this is my first leather couch and it's very light colored.

Comments (3)

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Never hear of such a thing--but in my opinion you just got took.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

The furniture store has nothing to do with your warranty so it does not matter that the store is going out of business. Read the warranty contract and it will tell you how to make a claim.

In my state, warranty contracts are approved by the state Insurance Department. They must be backed by a contractual liability policy that is issued by an insurance company that is licensed by the state. That is for the protection of the consumer. If the consumer is not satisfied with the way that the warranty company handles a claim, he can make a complaint to the Insurance Department.

My advice to you is to find out who in your state regulates warranty companies. Call your state Insurance Department and find out if they regulate them. They should also be able to tell you if they have had any complaints against Montage Furniture Services. If they don't regulate them, ask them who does. I believe in some states warranty companies are regulated by a Consumer Protection Agency. Does your state have a Consumer Protection Agency? You could try calling them also.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I've bought furniture warranites. My decision on whether or to buy it depended on what it was an how much use it would get. We've had 3 sets of furniture in the den in 12 years. Warrranty on the first set. With less than 3 months of the 4 or 5 year policy left, a pull in the sectional sofa that released one of the recliners broke. They didn't have that set anymore so they told us to come to the store and pick out another. Replaced it with a couch and chaise lounge. I never liked it. Finally after 2 years my husband said if I could sell it I could replace it. Sold it for what I paid for it. Set #3 New sectional, rocker recliner and 2 end tables. Bought ins policy. It paid for a cushion replacement. Didn't buy ins for a dining room table purchased 7 years ago. Whether to buy extended warranties or not is a polarizing topic (cars, appliances, etc). Some feel the peace of mind is worth it. Some don't.