Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Making cabinets in adjacent rooms work together

jewelisfabulous
9 years ago

So....I'm finally getting bids for a closet system in my husband's closet. It is connected to our master bath. I want to make sure I'm on the right path with choosing a flat front drawer/door style.

Our bath vanity has raised front drawers/doors. Rather than try and fail to match the raised front style, I figure it's a safer decision to go with plain fronts in the closet.

We're also going with a white closet system versus trying to match the wood stain of the bath vanity. The bath (and the rest of the house) has white base moulding, crown, and doors.

Just to clarify -- having the same cabinetry (same manufacturer, same wood, same stain) in the closet as what we have in the bath would be cost prohibitive.

To help visualize, here's a pic of the bath vanity.

Any comments appreciated!

Comments (8)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Is the closet open to the bath? I do not think they have to match. If it is not open to the bath, then no biggies. Flat panels will be perfect. If worse comes to worse, you can paint them a tan color that you choose from your countertop. I think it should be fine with white though.

Lovely bathroom!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

An interior closet system in white that coordinates with all your trim and doors is totally appropriate for your solution. You might want to paint the walls in the closet the same color as your bath to unify the two spaces if they open to one another.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I think it's a wise decision. By the time you fill the closet with your clothes, and start using the space, no one will notice.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Closet cabinetry is so ridiculously expensive I have found as I have been searching for a solution myself. Finding either particle-board and melamine at ridiculous prices--8k for particleboard?!? No thank you! Or good cabinetry that costs as much as a new car.

Still trying to find a solution. What the builder provided us was particleboard spray-painted white. Sigh. I wish you luck, but as the previous posters said, closets are a different thing-it doesn't have to match, function is enough, unless you are in the multi-multi million dollar home and can afford it anyway. I'm not.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

the white and the ecru (or similar) are usually the same price- both are cheaper than the 'stained' colors... unless your woodwork is bright white, you might be happier with the off white.
    I wouldn't worry about the raised panel drawers matching your cabinetry exactly- if you prefer raised panels, get them! I think they look nicer than flat, but might be a bit more $. either are fine imo in the closet....

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

hoovb, you might check out Easy Track Closet System. I have used this in a number of my homes and find it to be fairly reasonably priced.

I especially like that the units do not use the floor for support, so it makes it easier to clean around and it's not necessary to take out the components if the floor covering needs to be changed out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Track

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, all, for your comments.

I do have a follow-up question: in the design a couple companies have given me, they have units of shelves of different heights situated side by side. For example, one set of shelves are spaced 12" apart whereas the shelves right next to it are spaced 16" apart.

Since I tend to be very symmetrical, the asymmetry bothers me. Shouldn't shelves in side by side "units" be spaced the same?

Beverly -- I've looked at the EasyTrack site before. I can't figure out how to use the site very effectively. Have you successfully done a design on it or did you contact a rep to have them do it?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Jewel654,

Sorry I haven't used the site. I just measure the closet and decided what to order for my situation.

As for shelves on your layout not being symmetrical, I'm betting the upright supports are completely adjustable and the shelves can be moved up or down for matching heights.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022