Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Renovation Updates..Learning Experience

ttodd
10 years ago

Good afternoon GWer's. Thought I'd give a quick update of where we are on reno's.

I write this from my mudroom which I am in the process of reclaiming from the contractor who finished up most of the work inside this past Friday. He has 2 more outlets to rewire and then I can have my house back.

The front porch is done and the paint is curing for about 1 more week. I'm not sure when inspection is to happen.

Let me just say that I am glad that there are folks on GW that I know would back me when I think that I am being too picky about the contractor work and attention to details. I keep asking DH if I'm being unrealistic and he says that I am not. I have a certain expectation and that it should be met and if we were staying then I would point everything out. Of course right know we just want out so we are letting some tings slide.

While reclaiming my mudroom I was pi$$ed when I looked up at my rusty chandelier and noticed that when he spray painted the new conduit that he sprayed half of the chandie chain white. He will fix that.

Remember my hallway lighting post and what lights to pick? Well I thought I had it solved when I when hunting through my attic and found 2 etched globes up there. I was very happy to find free lighting and the contractor/ electrician said that he could retro-fit one of the globes. Couldn't wait to show you guys. Alas, one of the globes came crashing out of the new ceiling mount. I'm still to angry to begin looking again.

He always seems to have an idea, opinion or story about everything and I would just like some silence. Now he is very, very nice. My vestibule looks wonderful (he did wiring and covered over the half stripped anglypta?), and did a lovely job on all of refreshing all of the wood paneling in there.

My porch looks really good to someone who didn't know what it looked like before. Don't get me wrong, It looks really good - just not what I expected. Once the columns went up I looked at it the next morning (I only saw it in the dark the night before) and noticed immediately that 2 of the columns were not straight. I pointed it out to them the next day and they first didn't see it until I told them to cross the street and look. Then the 2nd guy saw right away. I got an excuse from #1 about my house. I told him the size and age of the house had nothing to do w/ it and to get out their tools and check again. I was right. This lead to them picking up that a 2nd column was not aligned properly, which of course I'd already noticed but knew that they would find out once they 'righted' the 1st one. They did.

Then he said that he was concerned that the porch railings wouldn't pass inspection w/ new code. I told him that I was more concerned w/ the fact that there was a foot gap between the porch railings and the pillars. He started some story and I left him talking while I got the original blue prints. I told him that the steps were indicated to be 8' across, not 6' like he built. I got a song and dance to which I replied that it doesn't matter what he 'thought', that He, the Boro and I, all had plans that called for an 8' step span, not 6' and that if it didn't pass inspection (again, only because I want out of Dodge) that he would have to rebuild. He told me that I could put planters in the gap and that it would be fine. I walked away because that won't happen.

This is my first time being on the receiving end of dealing w/ a contractor. I'm learning a lot. Mainly that my Dad was an awesome builder, contractor and I'm glad to have followed him around on jobs as a kid.

My FIL stopped by one day (the architect) so I discussed some of my concerns w/ him to see if they were valid. He said yes but agreed w/ me on how I was handling it to get out. I appreciated that.

So while I do not have inside pics yet, here is where we are on the front before the darker coat or grey paint went on the porch floor. Again - it's very nice, just not what I was envisioning & everyday people would stop to ask the contractors if the house was for sale (yay!) or going up for rent (which we would consider). I will be getting estimates from someone else for painting the 3rd story exterior trim white & white shutters will go on the 2nd story windows above the porch.

Before:

During:

Almost done:

I can't wait to put my massive oval shaped Christmas wreath on the front door.

DH and I planted 3 trees out front this afternoon to replace the 3 that were originally there. 1 came down before we bought the house, 1 came down during Hurricane Irene and we took the last one down last year due to disease.

Looking forward to having a beautiful exterior for the first time in 5 years!

Comments (11)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It looks so nice. You are right about the contracting stuff. It doesn't make it any easier. We had our porch columns redone, and had to cut our losses on one contractor and hire another. It was the right decision. Again, it is beautiful.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

LOVE it!!!!! Well worth all the trouble, and your porch will be oh-so-festive!

• springroz
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!!! If I were in the area, I would have stopped to ask if the home were for sale!!!

Nancy

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

It does look lovely, yet speaking with my architectural draftsman's hat on, (my career prior to retirement), I would note that the steps and railing up to the porch aren’t to code, (at least for our area).

It would be much more attractive with the 8 foot wide entrance stairs with handrails that attached to the two center columns. Is this going to be corrected?

Otherwise, it looks lovely thus far!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All depends on the code inspector. I want to be present for the final inspection. If he says okay then I'll let it go. I can't imagine how it would possibly pass inspection though w/ that gap between the porch railings and 1st column. I was very disappointed w/ how the stair railings turned out. I anticipated posts at the bottom but when I went back and looked at the plans that is not how they were drawn up so I won't argue about that. I was however very disappointed w/ how the individual balustrades turned out. I could have sworn he told me that he would turn them to match the original porch railing balustrades and the contractor made them square. DH said that he didn't recall specifics about that. Had there been clearer communication/ expectations set and, I would simply have had DH turn some at the shop to match the porch railing if the contractor couldn't do it.

The contractor had also told me that DH built the porch framing two inches too short (we brought the contractor in when DH finally realized that there wasn't enough time in the world for him to finish & run our business). The contractor told me that he knew it was too short because the columns were too short "and you know, that's why I don't like to come in after someone has already begun a project and piecemeal it together. If I were to do it from the beginning I would have...." and that's when I started walking down the street and said to him "Did you notice that all of the porches on the block are built the same way? You're missing a 2" block of concrete that sets underneath all of the pillars on every porch on the street. That's where your missing 2"s is at."

So it's little things like that (the excuses) that are driving me crazy. Although reading the blueprints that call for steps 8' across and deciding that it should 6' and building them that way w/o consulting w/ me is going to be a cost that he will have to eat if it fails inspection.

I'm not sure who he thinks he's messing w/, but I'm pretty familiar w/ certain aspects of building and I'm pretty particular and that's why DH put me in charge.

I'm always one to learn a lesson, but once learned, I remember and don't go back. I'm just happy that my first contractor experience happened in this house and not our next one. Now I know.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

That 6-foot porch with the 8-foot spacing on the columns looks strange. If the plans called for 8 feet, I'd make him fix it.

I discovered that the planned 4-foot gates in a multi-thousand dollar concrete block wall had footings poured for 3 foot gates. And the crew was setting rebar for 3-foot gate supports. So I told them to stop all work until it was straightened out.

The site supervisor baulked at fixing it "because the footings were already poured ... blah, blah, would need to get more concrete, whine, no one needs a 4 foot gate, etc. blahtidy" so I told him that the site plan showed 4-foot gate, the contract called for 4 foot gates and the company would not be be paid unless there were 4 foot gates.

He told the crew to continue (in Spanish) so I told them, also in Spanish, that I was the owner and they were to stop work until I told them they could continue.

He moaned and griped and called me unpleasant things so I called the main office and had asked them to send me a manager who had hiring and firing authority ... because I wanted that man replaced on the project.

The manager offered a $500 price rebate if I would take the 3-foot gates. I told him that size mattered and the company would not be paid until after I pushed my 3.75 foot wide lawnmower through the gates into my back yard. He had to take it to his boss and it went up the company decision line ... most of the rest of the day was wasted.

... by which time the concrete had set up and they had to do far more work than if they had stopped, yanked out the rebar and moved the misplaced footings when I pointed them out.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Good for you TheFoxesPad. People ask us all the time why we diy and it used to be that we couldn't afford help. Now that we can, we've found we are too picky for slipshod work. Fil was a builder and a perfectionist. I used to think that he was sought after because of his honesty, hard work, and positive attitude, but it was his attention to detail on top of the others that kept people in line.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I feel like I should have caught the 6' steps earlier in the project but it wasn't until the columns went up that I caught it. He is aware of it as I pointed it out to him. I guess I feel that there is no way that they will pass inspection as is so I can't imagine that they won't have to be rebuilt so I'm not so worried about it as I am just ticked about the little 'unspoken' attention to detail things.

Marti8a - my dad was also a perfectionist when building. He replicated molding for our home to match the original when we restored it to its original footprint. You can't tell the old from the new and it's heavily detailed stepped molding.

So little things that make a huge difference to me are when counter sunk screws aren't puttied over (he just painted over), paint that is not precise, wall patches that aren't totally smooth in all spots, ceiling caps over junction boxes (I would have rather paid additional monies to have one continuous line to DD's ceiling fixture), my mudroom chandie not centered on a hook like it originally was (DH and I moved the hook today). He seems to want to dazzle me w/ flash in what I now see is an effort to potentially get me to overlook the little things.

Tuesday I will have an overall walk w/ him around the property and inspect the front porch where I will point out the screws and seams not puttied over and I will address the steps prior to final inspection just so that he understands what the expectation is.

I had to laugh one day when DH called me to tell me that the contractor started calling him at work to go over things. Guess he was tired of dealing w/ me. DH told him to call me that I make those decisions lol!

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I wouldn't leave it up to the inspector, I would say the contract/plans say 8' and you are not paying unless they are 8'!

It looks nice other than the too-narrow stairs though that does throw it off.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

LOL about him calling your dh at work. I agree with tinan. What if the inspector does pass it, then what? Will your guy cobble together some kind of rail from the post to the steps and then try to sell you on it?

Your house is lovely. I love your porch columns. What kind of globes did you find in the attic? Any chance of finding a replacement on etsy?

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

I don’t know how that gap at the end of the handrail could pass inspection. To be really nit picky about it, it would also bother me that the stair handrail design doesn’t match up with that done on the porch railing - they should be the same. And I would have put a turned baluster at the base of the steps that matched the columns, but if the plans didn’t show this, there’s no way your contractor will do it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH