Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

Please post pics of your bow window treatments!

peegee
9 years ago

When the vertical blinds come down (To CL or the dumpster if no takers) I'll need to have figured out a WT for the LR. Bow window is 8 ft wide but maybe only 4 ft tall or so. Will measure next time I'm there. It is going to remain wood stained against DD's recommendations to paint. I had sheers for years and do not want again, yet I don't want a cinematic view into the room when the lights come on. I fear I may not feel comfortable without some sort of cafe curtain 1/2 way up even in the daytime. Since the cats will on occasion will be allowed in there, I don't think any bottom-up type blinds will work, and they also don't feel right to me for this application. I am thinking I may install a pipe above the window for a pair of curtains to run to the sill, or part-way down the wall (large hot water baseboard is over a foot tall) - which would only be closed at night. Then maybe small tension rods inside the bay on each window for the cafes. Any thoughts or photo's of your own or other's solutions??????

Comments (4)

• bpath
    9 years ago

We had a 13' bow window. A tension rod at the top of each "column" of windows held a sheer that came to the sill/window seat. Sometimes I gathered them somewhere with a scrunchy, usually they just hung straight. On the outside a traverse rod could close the drapes at night so we weren't on filtered "cinematic display" as you say!

I could have done a more opaque or colorful pattern on the tension rods, but I liked being able to see out, even filtererd, during the day.

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bpathome! I too would like to be able to see out during the day, which is why the cafe curtain idea bothers me, that and the fact that to make the cafe's useful, they will have to be tall enough - about half-way up the window, I think, and that puts the rod area in between panes. I'm wondering just how crummy that might look indoors AND from outside. The good thing would be seeing out the top of the window without any obstruction...oh dear.....I'm still hoping people will post pictures.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

For privacy as well as sun rays penetration you can install roman blinds on the window. It looks classical as well as sober also. For a more lively look you can get vibrant coloured blinds like red, green and yellow.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Go outside in the daytime and look in to see what you see. You'll probably find it's a lot less than you think. That may help you feel comfortable with leaving the windows uncovered during the daytime. Then all you need to do is cover them at night. That can be done with a roller shade, wood blinds, roman blinds or duettes. You can hide them under a valance if you want, or not.

A picture of what you're dealing with sure would be helpful.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida