Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laxsupermom

CL Q: How much should I ask for this DR suite?

laxsupermom
13 years ago

DH's Great Aunt passed away recently and we will be receiving her DR furniture. His Great Aunt was an absolute pip and I have very fond memories of eating in her Dining Room. To make room for it we'll need to get rid of our current furniture. I'm not really trying to make a lot of money on the sale of my furniture, but I'm not trying to give anything away either.

This set includes a table, sideboard, china cabinet and 7 chairs(6 side chairs, 1 arm chair,) though I'm tempted to keep the arm chair and recover it. The set is mahogany veneer.

The leaf stores inside the table on a butterfly hinge mechanism.

There is a built in silverware drawer in the sideboard.

Ignore all the miscellaneous crap over and under the china cabinet.

I understand that the bottom has fallen out of the used furniture market, so you won't offend me with low suggestions. I just want an idea of what I should post it for. To complicate matters, we're not sure when exactly we'll be getting the new furniture and I don't exactly want to be eating Thanksgiving dinner in the kitchen or at a card table.

TIA.

Comments (18)

• gobruno
    13 years ago

First, I am no furniture expert, appraiser, etc. So, I have no real idea how much your furniture is worth. But, as they say, the market sets the price, and I've actually been in the market for new dining room furniture.... I have been scouring CL in my area for months. Not sure what area you live in, what your competition is like, or if the furniture is a special brand, etc. If I was to consider buying this entire set, I'd pay about $500 for the entire thing in my area, and that's if you want to get a response fairly soon. I'd say Anything around $1,000 would be too high. Not sure what you had in mind, and again, I'm no expert, and I'm also the kind of person who won't buy anything, especially on CL, unless it is truly a good deal. Good luck.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Similar sets usually run in the $500 range on my Baltimore CL. Except those chairs are so different than what I usually see in the art deco sets on CL. You may be able to sell the chairs separately and get more.

• laxsupermom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses! So about $500 would be the right amount. You might not be able to see it, but there's a little chip on the edge of the leaf. So maybe $450? Like I side, I don't actually need to make money on this since we won't be buying a replacement. Looks like Santa might be able to leave an XBox under the tree. Woohoo!

• misenplace
    13 years ago

I tend to post high to CL, as you can always drop the price. I'd post for $1,000-$1,500. In my market $500 seems very low for all of that furniture.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    13 years ago

For what it's worth: I picture below the similar set I bought almost 2 years ago. They must be from the same era, though mine is walnut, not mahogany. The seller on CL listed it for $3500; I offered $2000, we compromised on $2500. Mine is in virtually perfect condition. It was more than I wanted to pay, but to get all those pieces, I went ahead.

Consider how seldom it is that you can get an entire set. I wanted antique, and had been surfing local antique stores for maybe 10 or more years. I had been looking a long time because everywhere I looked, I could get a combination that was missing something. It would have a table, but no buffet. Or would have 4 chairs, not 6. The one I bought had 4 pieces, not counting all six chairs. Even at that price, I considered myself lucky to get it. I asked the seller, and he had listed it in CL twice. Some had offered to buy some pieces but not all, and he would not split up the set. He knew he would find the right buyer in time.

Everyone expects to bargain on CL. When we struck ours, he did not seem disappointed at all at what we decided on. He had wiggle room built into his price. I did the same when I sold my old DR furniture to make room for this new set.

Here is a link that might be useful: similar set I bought Jan 2009

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I agree that $500 for the whole set is too low......at least in my area. I would give buyers options. Offer it as a set at one price and then list the pieces individually.

I think few people will want the whole set and you will probably make more selling separately.

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

I'd go mid and ask 750.00. I Live in New England, tons of antiques here. I had a similar set in perfect shape, including the stashing leaf and could not sell it because there are so many similar sets, the value is quite low. We were able to consign the china closet and sideboard; sideboard sold but the china closet is still on site as a display case. The table and chairs ended up, well, let's not go there. We wanted a newer set and could not give away ours where we live. Ask 750.00, accept any offer....

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

$1200 maybe $1500. You can always come down and you can bet they will try to get you down. That is a nice set

$500 and it will be sold within the hour

• igloochic
    13 years ago

1500 minimum for gads sake and I'd start at two. I donated one of two of those buffets to a charity thrift store and they sold it in a week at 350.

If you are within an inch of my house I'll take the chairs now!!!! Lol.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I agree $500 is much too low. There should be some premium for getting all those chairs alone which can be difficult to find with antiques. You may get a better price, though if you are willing to sell separately as not everyone would have so much space for a large set. What I would do is list 4 separate ads, each linking to one another. Post each item separately, then a post with the whole set, with a better price if a buyer purchases the entire set or at least the table/chairs and one of the cabinets.

• laxsupermom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! It looks like Santa might have a few extra items under the tree. Thanks for all the input, everyone.

• laxsupermom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, and Igloo, if you weren't all the way over on the other coast, those chairs would be yours as a gift to that magnificent manse of yours.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

are you missing the edging on the table leaf though???? that would be enough for me not to want the table...i don't think you'd be able to get a higher price for it for that reason...

• User
    13 years ago

The edging is different on the table leaf because it is usually under the table. The mechanics of the hinging mechanism make it difficult to have the ornate edging.

The self-storing leaf is a GREAT selling point, as is a full set of matching chairs. It's in good condition, and although it's typical of the late 1920s, it doesn't have those grotesquely bulbous legs.

I'd list it for at least $1500 as before Thanksgiving ... table sets sell well just before the eating season begins.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

It is a beautiful set! Before you list it, do a little staging for the photos even if you have to "borrow" some decorative items from somewhere else in the house. Remove all "stuff" from the photos that do not belong. Give it a good cleaning with lemon oil and apply a good coat of high quality furniture wax. I would probably even do a good coat of Restore-a-Finish, followed by their wax, but the purists might not like that. Make it shine! Make it look like a $2,000 set.

Tuesday

• redecor8
    13 years ago

If you want the absolute MAXIMUM amount of money in the SOONEST amount of time:

I think you should list and sell the pieces individually (4 ads: table, sideboard, chairs and china) but mention in each ad that you have the matched set available. Include links to each ad in your craigslist posting (ask for help on what the html would be if needed). Do offer a discount for purchasing more than one item.

Remove all the items on, around or under each piece. Clean each item thoroughly and clean the area around each item so the photos are spotless. (You can stage a FEW items in the china cabinet for looks only. Do NOT use all items in there currently).

Include exact and ALL measurements of each piece in your listing.

Take the best pictures you can in the best light. Take FAR more pictures than the 4 CL lets you post (zoom out, top, bottom, details, front, back, etc....). State in your listing that you can email additional photos if requested.

Include all known info about items before posting.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

That furniture in Alabama would go for $400.00 maybe $500.00 in Atlanta. The region you live in makes all the difference in the world as you've seen above.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

sorry, but i've had 2 self storing leaf tables that had an edge so that you could leave it larger for everyday-uncovered. i would strongly recommend you take out the leaf for cl photos.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio