Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Appliance colors with cream/white kitchens

Oakley
15 years ago

No one take offense. I hate stainless steel, and I hate black. Which basically leaves white or bisque.

Right now our appliances are white, and are in good shape. There's money allotted for new appliances. I do need a new dishwasher though, so that's a definite.

Kitchen will be a cream/off white color. So will the beadboard in the rest of the house.

The custom cabinet guy comes in the morning so I'm running out of time picking my colors for the appliances..or one apliance.

Are white appliances ugly with white kitchens? Something tells me they are. But I hate getting rid of my good appliances!

Would bisque go with a cream colored kitchen? Or do I need to bite the bullet and get stainless steel?

One last question. When I was growing up, appliances came in all sorts of colors, including white. Why are colors SO darn expensive now? It doesn't make a lick of sense!

Comments (21)

• rabbit_house
    15 years ago

For the dishwasher, have you considered a custom front to match your cabinets? This can be an expensive option but it wouldn't be stainless : )

• marciagaye
    15 years ago

I would not do bisque. Different companies use different paint. So they might all say bisque, but when you put them in the same room it might look different. i am with you, I dislike the stainless steel...it looks industrial to me like the appliances used in hospital kitchen, etc. I think the stainless steel will fase as a fad, just as the coppertone and avocado green did. I personally have black. I would go with the white in your case. You can add color with different accents, such as dish towels, spoon rests, vase, etc.

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I think white appliances with white kitchens look fine, much better then black with white kitchens. You say you hate getting rid of good appliances, so don't. Just get a new dishwasher. Get it in white or get a custom front that matches your cabinets.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I don't think white appliances are ugly with white kitchens. They will just blend in and no one will notice them much which is a good thing when it comes to appliances I think. I would want the focus to be on the cabinets and a wonderful counter top. By the way, I agree with you about stainless steel appliances and predict they will be totally "out" in five years. I've never understood why they were "in" in the first place.

• norasnews
    15 years ago

Count me in the camp of liking white with white.. or panels to match cabinetry if is way off white..

It is such a personal decision tho, isn't it? I do not care for black, yet have seen lovely kitchens with it!!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"No one take offense. I hate stainless steel, and I hate black. Which basically leaves white or bisque."

OK, so go with what you like. White. Bisque.

Right now our appliances are white, and are in good shape. There's money allotted for new appliances. I do need a new dishwasher though, so that's a definite.

I would not wast money replacing something perfectly good. Why send it to a landfill?

Are white appliances ugly with white kitchens? Something tells me they are. But I hate getting rid of my good appliances!

No, white appliances are not ugly in white kitchens. Most people think they are the better choice for a white kitchen. Don't get rid of good appliances, especially if it goes against your personal beliefs.

Would bisque go with a cream colored kitchen? Or do I need to bite the bullet and get stainless steel?

I'm not understanding the angst. Put in what you want. What is this concept of having to "bite the bullet" in choosing appliance colors??

One last question. When I was growing up, appliances came in all sorts of colors, including white. Why are colors SO darn expensive now? It doesn't make a lick of sense!

Yes it does make sense. There is less demand for colors. They cost more to manufacture. Also things that are new always cost more due to having less availability.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

If you need to replace them, I would definately go with the suggestion of blending them with the cabinetry. The look is very sleek when the appliance look like they are part of the cabinets. I have stainless and hate it...I wish I had made them look like the rest of the cabinets...that is the dishwasher and frig.

• sue36
    15 years ago

It depends on your counters as well. If you go with dark granite a black drop-in cooktop would look better than white. I would do an integrated dishwasher (wood panel front). If your current fridge is white and the size you want, why replace it? You can always replace it with another one later if it's a standard slide-in.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi oakleyok, We had a custom front for our Miele dishwasher, I designed it to look like 3 drawers, all our appliances are white, in our white kitchen. Here's 2 pictures of it. {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful lacombe! Your granite is similar to the one I'm getting. White it is. Most white kitchens (in pictures) seemed to have either black or stainless appliances. I did some more looking around last night at pictures after I posted this topic and I found a few with white appliances. It was a nice blend.

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

I have white cabinets and have white appliances. White and stainless looks too hospitalish for me. However, we did creamy beige cabinets in an in-law apt. MIL was adamant about no stainless (she thinks fingerprints show up too much). I wanted to do paneled appliances. MIL didn't want those either so she went bisque. The appliances match OK despite being different brands but don't blend sufficiently with the cabinetry - too light. SS would have been better in that application.

Bottom line for me -- how off-white is your off-white?

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Go with what you like and don,t worry about what is trendy. You might consider just having them painted to match the color of the cabinets for a more custum look if the whites don,t match up well. I personally like stainless with all white kitchens but thats just because I had white cabinets with white appliances for 16 years so I found the change to stainless to be a fun refreshing way to give the kitchen a facelift without changing everything out.

• teacats
    15 years ago

I have white painted cabinets -- and white basic appliances (not concealed as in the pretty kitchen above!)

• susieq07
    15 years ago

I have white appliances(luv them) and pretty white cabinets and also hate stainless, can't understand these designers/real estate people pushing them on everyone, I don't want my kitchen to look like a restaurant kitchen! my ceramic stove top is black/grey/white marbley but stove is white..

• deltabreeze
    15 years ago

We have an offwhite, creme kitchen. The frig and microwave are bisque (different manufacturers, different years of purchase). The DW and range hood are paneled. The stove is deep taupe enamel (Heartland, expensive). It all works together fine.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

I'll have to be the odd one out and say first that quality SS appliances are very rich -- it's a natural material. It's an expensive material. It picks up light in a way that adds something to the room without being glary. I'm looking at my georgeous GE Monogram SS fridge right now and love it as much as I did when I bought it five years ago. It really addds to the room. In this house I have cherry cabinets and it looks great. In the last house I had white cabinets with a cocoa glaze (i.e., beige cabinets) and it looked fabulous. You cannot go wrong with SS.

White with white is good. But you said your cabinets are going to be CREAM, not white. The stark white of appliances is not going to go well if you're having anything but pure white cabinets. If you're getting warm rich creamy ones, stark white will not be good.

Rabbit house had the best idea of having the cabinet panels over the appliances. If it's in the budget you could do this with fridge and dw, it would be so beautiful. Then get rest of appliances in same-brand bisque to avoid the problem marciagaye mentioned, or stainless steel.

Or just get them all in same brand bisque.

I agree about black not going well in a white or cream kitchen.

Last idea is wait till you have a cabinet door, then go shopping for appliances with it.

• ice1
    15 years ago

I have a brand spanking white highgloss kitchen , I bought all white appl exept for the integrated dishwasher . Seriosly I love everything about my kitchen. the hood is stainless and that is ok. I work in a kitchen appl store and hate cleaning the stainless we have on dishplay . actually have notished that people are starting to buy more white appl than before.
    I have a photo of my kitchen if you would like to see.

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Don't replace perfectly good appliances, especially if you don't want to - take the alloted money and buy something way more fun, like shoes, and be kind to the environment in the process :O)

My old kitchen was white and I had white appliances. It looked fine. The countertops were dark, and the wall color was warm. If the walls had of been white, then it would have been too stark. There are other ways to bring in warmth and color than with the appliances.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

My 2001 house had cream cabinets with a golden glaze, and bisque appliances. I loved the look -- some would find it bland, I'm sure, because of the "SS is the ONLY thing" mentality, but I loved it! The white fridge was new when we rebuilt, so it stayed. I planned to replace it when needed. The buyers never even mentioned that it didn't match.

I'd exactly reproduce the kitchen in a heartbeat but the cabinets are no longer available. The new house cabinets are off white with a pewter glaze, and although I'm not crazy about SS, I think it will work best with the cabinets.

Go with what you like.

• Margaret Guggina
    5 years ago

I am using white appliances too with cream cabinets!