Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

What color/stain for bed frame in master?

theclose
10 years ago

Hi All,
We received news today that the gentleman that made my son's bed is retiring soon and is taking his last orders. We always thought we would buy a bed for ourselves from him as we love the bed he made for our son. While it is not the best timing financially, we might bite the bullet. Thing is, I always wanted an upholstered headboard. But these beds are gorgeous and so I might have to forego that dream! Here are some pics of our room.

Thoughts on finishes? His painting options are mainly of the primitive ilk, which isn't my style, but he will do non-distressed stains or a black lacquer, which is what I really want. Will that "go"? We have white shelving in our room and brown walls. I think it is the white shelving that is throwing me off. Do we just go with a stained wood then? Help! Here are pics of my son's bed. American Walnut stain, non-distressed, on maple.

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I can see why you want a bed made by him before he retires, your son's bed is beautiful! But, if have been dreaming of an upholstered head board for awhile will you truly be happy with a wood bed, even such a beautiful one? Especially since financially it's not the best time.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justgotabme, good points. While I want upholstered, DH wants a proper wooden bed. He doesn't ask for much so I thought this could be "his". I also like the heirloom aspect, which you don't get with upholstered headboards. Maybe I can invest in more pillows. : ). As for financials, it pains me to spend this now since we have been spending a lot with this house, but we can afford it so I will leave it up to DH. That way he can't complain to me about it!

With that said, thoughts on color/stain?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

That's a good way to look at it mamorella. It's good to let hubby's get things they want too.
    Since I prefer stained wood I'd go for matching the chest of drawers in your room. That's an awfully pretty color of stain and a beautiful piece. It looks possibly mahogany?

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking about the chest color as well. Again, as much as I love painted furniture, I think stained might be best here. The chest is 1830s English. Need to check on wood type.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Stained would work best. Especially if you want this to be a family heirloom.
    Is the chest a family piece?

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish! Chest was purchased at an antique store in the last city we lived in. I think it was our first big furniture purchase. So, an heirloom to us. : )

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Being the youngest I have very few family heirlooms. Sad really because I'm the one that would love them for being part of the family's belongings and not because of their monetary value.