Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

"wallpaper" from book pages

violetwest
10 years ago

I'm thinking about doing this is my water closet, which is soooo boring. I have some nice coffee table science fiction art books which sit around collecting dust, and could sacrifice. Nobody would ever see it but me.

Has anybody tried this? I was thinking maybe of just taping the pages together and hanging them, rather than wallpapering permanently, but what do I know?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/404901822719829990/

Here is a link that might be useful: pin

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 16:39

Comments (10)

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

The bar-none cutest powder room I ever saw looked remarkably like the pinterest room you posted! It was in a Chicago-area home several decades ago, and it would still have its wow today.

It was covered wall-to-wall and floor-to-ciling with covers from The New Yorker, so it was funny, thought-provoking, and very colorful. All the woodwork was a glossy emerald green and the fixtures were white. The only decoration was a little ceramic jar with dried flowers. The covers had been mod-podged on, so they had a glossy, textured look, and they were not going anywhere. I'm not sure that scotch tape would have the same effect, but on the other hand, am not going to tell you to use mod-podge.

I think you should do it, however you decide to hang the covers!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've always thought of using NYer covers as art...a collection of them framed. Some are so funny!

However, I wouldn't mod podge them to the wall, unless I was sure I was going to leave the room as is to someone else to figure out how to get it off....

• User
    10 years ago

There is a glue stick that turns almost any paper into a Post-It note ... temporary and repositionable.

I'd use that, or glue the pages to big sheets of paper or foam core, or even use double-stick transparent tape.

Because if you modgepodge something to a wall, the person who has to deal with it later will curse you.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I probably wouldn't use mod podge either. Wallpaper paste, maybe. But I hate wallpaper precisely because it's stuck on there, and am always hesitant to do something permanent.

Only reason I mentioned the tape is because after doing a quick search on the topic, I did find a blogger who had used packing tape on the reverse side to connect the pages together, and then hung that whole shebang.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I would play with some of the pages before making a decision. The printed material may not take well to tape, paste, etc. It isn't the same as standard paper we know and use. Bleeding or the print from showing through the back of page needs to be considered. Plus, even though this is a small BR, it will have moisture around. Try it on some scrap wall board. And anything you use will most likely irritate the next HO, but who cares. Remember flour paste? Or maybe I'm just old, it really was just flour and water. We used it to cover bottles, boxes, etc. You could paste it to butcher paper or brown bag paper and then mount to wall. If you love the look of all the pages, why not find a sale on matts or thin frames. A picture wall filled to capacity may give you the same feeling.

• withoutanh
    10 years ago

I did one wall of my dorm room (1969!) with New Yorker covers. It was great fun to arrange them and figure out the best sequence.

Too bad they glue the labels to the front now so that it is hard to salvage the art. Wish the address labels were on the back instead but guess paid advertising cannot be defiled. I should probably just be happy that they are still in print.

I believe I taped them together from the back and attached them with whatever approved stickum we were allowed to use on the walls.

Sara

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

some very helpful comments here.

I think wallpaper of any kind would irritate the next homeowner, anyway.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

One caveat: beware of fading. I had been thinking of doing just that with Audubon reproductions - bought two books - one to cut up and one to keep - 435 prints for $25. Not being quite ready to actually do the print wall, I framed some. Even though they are never hit by direct sunlight, they have faded a lot compared to the ones in the book. Wallpaper is made more colorfast I suppose, than prints not intended for that purpose.

But if you have no natural light in there, or don't mind the fading, or don't plan for this to last years and years -go for it.

• Ideefixe
    10 years ago

Why not get them copied at a professional copy place? That way you can chose the right sort of paper, etc..

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I forgot an easy method for you. There is artist contact spray which you could use. It doesn't leave a ton of glue on a wall. Just spray and try it, won't mess with the original pic. and you don't have to go to the problem of smoothing out. Leaves an even sticky to lay over your wall. One can would be a good try, if this doesn't work, no issue with a lot of work to remove from wall. And the page will still be in decent condition.