Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Raise the Shower Curtain Rod?

What do you think about raising the shower curtain rod up and putting in a longer shower curtain? Do you like it? Below is a link from a blogger who did it. Do you like the look? What do you think?

(And note to anyone who is thinking about it: it means purchasing extra-long shower curtain liners, too.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Raising Your Shower Curtain Rod

Comments (19)

• porkandham
    10 years ago

I had an extra long shower curtain made for my hall bath 7-8 years ago, and I love it! I have a second rod installed at the standard height and just buy the cheapie standard length liners from Target.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I would think w/o the open top a great deal of steam while showering might be a problem, actually encouraging mold. Allowing in natural light might also be a consideration if there isn't a light source above.

What I *do* like is the idea of a curved shower rod. It would allow extra elbow room for washing hair, as well as not feeling so confined. I just need to get a drill bit for the tile. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• porkandham
    10 years ago

We have a light in the shower, and it's not hung right at the ceiling. It's just longer than standard so I can hang it higher and still completely cover the tub. If I hung a standard size curtain so it falls to the floor, the shower head is visible and water splashes when when my 6'2" DH showers. I also had it made wider than normal because I like the fullness.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Porkandham - lovely bathroom! The fabric on your shower curtain is so pretty.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

I wanted the longer shower curtain a few years ago, but could only find one or two cheap, ugly non-custom. I didn't want the hem job to do myself, and couldn't mentally pay for a custom one. I also wanted lushness so I ended up with 2 matelasse. I probably could have paid the same for the custom.

I do like the look, though.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Not in our bathroom - no natural light/windows and the light fixture is over the mirror on other side of the room. It would be way too dark if we moved our curtain to the ceiling, and the steam would not be able to escape as easily and be whisked out by the exhaust fan. We have a curved shower rod, I like it.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

No, I prefer the standard height, for the reasons already given. Lower = more light and chance for steam to escape.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Try it out with a tension rod. If the light seems adequate and the steam doesn't build up while you are in there, sure why not?

The steam will still escape after when you open the curtain so increased changes of mold should be a non-issue. It's not like there is something sealed against the ceiling permanently trapping it. It will just not escape as readily while it is forming.

• porkandham
    10 years ago

Janice742 - Thank you! I love the fabric too. It's held up remarkably well, especially when you consider that DH and I used it daily for several years before we added a master suite a few years ago, and now my boys (7 and 9) use it daily as their bathroom. It still looks brand new!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I love the way it looks. We have no natural light in our bathrooms, but we have a light in the shower, and we have a great fan, so that problem is solved, too!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I don't really like shower curtains closed, so either way for me. If light and moisture isn't a problem, and you like the look, go for it.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Pork...my bath is a lot like yours in layout with a window in the same position. Like what you have done with the smaller bath. The window probably does make a huge difference in how this can be done.

I have a hotel shower curtain for the inside and regular long curtain/drape on outside top to floor. Both are always open except when in use. The curtain/drape has never been mistaken for the shower curtain. Even guests have not gotten confused as to which is used. I personally like the look.

Even with a window, my issue is getting users to turn the fan on for moisture escape.

• peegee
    10 years ago

For years I used a clear liner under my curtain which I raised up a little higher than normal, but not that high, and liked the effect...I stopped using the plastic liners though for concern over phthalates offgassing.. I am so careful about using organic foods and cleaners I felt I needed to be more sensitive to environmental toxins....now I have a fabric curtain that does not need a liner, although I'm sure there is a heavy does of chemicals to allow that to happen! Just want to clarify I'm not suggesting others stop using their liners, but want people who may care to be aware.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Peegee...don't know what the hotel/fabric SC are made of either. Mine has been washed a bunch and still does what is intended. Whatever is in it must stay there. Didn't buy it thinking environmental, but the plastic ones were always water spotted and took forever to dry out. Wouldn't go back to plastic.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Maybe I missed it but what is point of doing this design wise? Just want to understand what you are trying to achieve.

In our bath with a shower curtain we could not do it as the light and fan are not over the tub/shower.

Here is a reminder, clean out your bathroom fans! DH was off yesterday and cleaned out all our bathroom fans. They had not been cleaned in over a year. Two were almost completely plugged.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

It's no different than hanging curtains high off the window trim. It's just a variation from the standard look.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You can take the curtain right to the ceiling with ceiling-mounted shower tracks. Save you from drilling into the tile.

• HU-387599933
    5 years ago

I didn't realize that my beautiful new curtain was longer than usual. I really like the fabric and plan to raise my curved rod height level to top of mirror. As a plus it will hide tiled window framing. I think a longer curtain gives a small bath a roomier look.