Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

And now onto living room window treatments...

theclose
10 years ago

I need to run this by you all. In a quandary re: window treatments. I have been researching until the cows come home for affordable window treatments! Here is the sitch: the living room has 3 windows. One window is between built in bookshelves with no wall space on either side. I was thinking that window should be a roman shade and do panels on the other two. I don't want to do anything that I am settling for, but the panels are so, so expensive! Now I am considering roman shades for all the windows, or investigating plantation shutters for all the windows. In playing around online, the romans are running around $400 a piece and the shutters a bit closer to $500 a piece. Thoughts on what you think might be a better fit, style-wise?

Thank you in advance!!

PS. Please ignore all random items on bookshelves and some odd furniture placements!! Work in progress...

Comments (27)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Plantation shutters are lovely, but they won't give you the softness that drapery panels will. You can buy ready-made panels and a rod for $400 per window. And much less, depending on what you choose.

What are you looking for: privacy, light control, light blocking? Or just dressing the windows?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Is that a heat vent in the baseboard area under one of the windows? If so, I'd avoid drapes and thereby I have saved you some money! I also wonder if, at the same window, drapes (assuming you're hanging them outside of the window frame space) might crowd the sconce a bit.

I'd do roman shades in a fabulous fabric.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

JCPenney is having a big sale on drapes right now. You could do panels on the windows and a matching valance only on the window between bookcases.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

graywings, thought about the softness issue. I have been searching for ready made and haven't had much luck finding something I like. I also have to think about the front window, which couldn't take panels. Hmmm... To answer your questions, we are looking for privacy and light control. No need for black out but want to prevent fading of furniture, floors, any future rugs, etc.

sueb, I am actually not sure if that is a working vent! We haven't had the heat running much at this point. Supposed to get colder this weekend. I will check and see if that one is a vent or a return. And when you say fab fabric, any examples??? I was thinking a plain white type fabric to match the moldings and not compete too much with the fabrics in the room.

gracie, thanks so much for the JCP lead! I will check them out. We definitely need something to control light in that front window though. It is south-facing so just a valance won't do.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

White panels are pretty easy to find. Country Curtains has several.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Curtains white panels

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Such a pretty room and love the floral sofas.

You haven't said what the main purpose is for the W/T? Purely to finish the room? To add something decorative? For light control or sound?

We got very very reasonably priced sheers from West Elm for our stonehouse project, and used cute doorknob tiebacks. They feel kind of junky but they sure are a bargain ...

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, graywings. I have ordered from Country Curtains in the past (rods only). I will take a look and get some swatches. It is just that front window that is throwing me for a loop - I just assume I have to do custom since it won't take panels.

mtn, thanks so much for your kind words. The floral sofa and chair were second hand finds. We have plans to redo in the future but are working with it for now. I think it is kind of fun and quirky!

The purpose of the treatments is mainly to finish the room and to provide some light control. I want to minimize the fading of furniture, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I might buy roller blinds for light control, and sheers for a finish. I think that is the lowest cost alternative.

Otherwise, in my experience, providing both fade protection and some finish starts at 1000 a window.
    I like roman blinds, but I think in a tradl LR they look like they need panels.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

From your photos, it doesn't look like the room gets a ton of light. I would hang a rod very high on your two windows (as close to the ceiling as possible) and then just find simple white curtains that don't block any of the windows. I recently re-did my den and wanted inexpensive white long curtains for my French doors. After searching high and low, I happened to find them at IKEA -- I think they were $29 for both and they are off white with a striped pattern. They're not luxurious fabric, but they provide some softness to the space.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I had my roman shades done via a woman on Etsy, Cindy Cravens. I basically had fabric shipped directly to her and she sews up a flat roman shade (she did our Kitchen and FR). There are many others on Etsy as well -- some also do panels. You could also check a local fabric workroom or home decor sewer. There are also a number of online workrooms, like the Village Workroom and Custom Draper. I've ordered from them both.

These type of solutions will run you about $150 to $200 per window for Romans and $110 per width for panels.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think roman shades would work nicely on all 3 windows and then if you want, add side panels to the 2 windows. I don't know anything about these guys, but you can get roman shades made for not a lot of money. Even if they are just a temporary solution until you save your money to get the window treatments you want, they may work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blindster

• dakota01
    10 years ago

I would want panels on the two windows - just to soften the room - then I would consider a matching valance on the window between the bookcases. Maybe even a cafe shutter below the valance would work for privacy.

I just bought panels for my bedroom from JCPenney - they were made by Royal Velvet - I ordered 95's and after opening/hanging 2 panels I realized they were NOT 95's. 92 and a 93! They are packaged up and being sent back. I need 95 - I could order 108's but then I would have to puddle them or have someone hem them...too much trouble for the value of the drapes.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!!

mtn, agree that panels will look best in the long run. Rollers are a great idea. I will look in to those.

pipdog, what a lovely room!! It all looks great. Thanks for the idea of Ikea for drapes. The room doesn't get a lot of light, but just enough comes in from that front window most of the day that we need to do something.

gooster, thanks for Cindy's info. All her stuff looks great. I have used Etsy a ton in the past but each order (over 10, including some panels) has encountered some difficulties. My husband said I am banned from ordering from there due to the annoyances but I do like saving $!

annie, Blindster looks promising. I will check them out.

jeannie, hope you get your new panels soon!!

So, I checked that register under one of the windows that sueb pointed out. I think it might be a return, as warm air was coming out of all the other registers in the room but that one had cooler air. Not sure I should block that. Ugh. But thanks, sueb, for bringing that to my attention!!

I am going to look into roman or rollers and see what is out there. Will keep you posted!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I've been a WT queen, named by the ladies I worked with years ago, for decades now. My personal recommendation would be panels on all the windows but the two between the bookcases. There I'd use either a waterfall roman shade

or boxed pleat balloon shade.

• maryinthefalls
    10 years ago

What color are your walls? On my monitor they look like a soft pink. I thought I was the only one with a LR in that color. Glad to have company!

I've been playing around with white panels, white sheers and pleated shades, but can't quite commit. Right now, I am experimenting with the shade idea. I got a temporary paper shade from HD and have it held in place with a tension rod. I am trying various heights and draping to see what I like. So far the only conclusion I have come to is that it must be able to fully compress so I get as much natural light as possible during those rare sunny winter days we sometimes get. I also like the nighttime privacy the shade gives over the sheers.

This post was edited by maryinthefalls on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 13:18

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I agree with panels or fabric shades, or best, a combination using the shade between the bookcases and panels on the other windows.
    I would caution that plantation shutters, should you decide to go that way, cut down on the light in a room in a significant way. There is a reason they used on the southern homes where they're trying to cut light and heat. If you don't get much natural light I can't think you'd be happy with the shutters.

I just looked at Smith and Noble, and went through the quick process of selection for a full length 84" lined pair of panels and came up with $198 per window for this fabric. I just randomly chose something that may or may not work in your color scheme, hard to tell online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith&Noble

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

post removed

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 21:29

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I vote for all the windows in the same room, all be the same. If on a budget (aren't we all?) I would get roller shades and sheers.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Mamorella,

I'm loving your living room!

Based on my recent experience picking window treatments for my dining room here is my suggestion: devote plenty of thought to thinking about what the window treatment will look like both open and closed and during the day and during the evening.

I am happy with the new grass weave roller shades I installed (with curtain panels flanking the sides). But, I like them a lot better during the day than I do at night. During the day when they are down to block the sun they create a beautiful soft light and you can see the beautiful of the grass weave.

At night they are aways closed and they look like big blank white rectangles. That is, at night one can't see the pretty texture of the natural fiber since there is no light shining through. (On the other hand, they look lovely from outside at night time and provide just the right amount of privacy.)

A roman shade, even if made out of the same plain what grass weave material, would create more "interest" at night because of the stacking folds at the bottom of the shade..

That said, I do like the old-fashioned and elegant simplicity of roller shades.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Mamorella,

I'm loving your living room!

Based on my recent experience picking window treatments for my dining room here is my suggestion: devote plenty of thought to what the window treatment will look like both open and closed and during the day and during the evening.

I am happy with the new grass weave roller shades I installed (with curtain panels flanking the sides). But, I like them a lot better during the day than I do at night. During the day when they are down to block the sun they create a beautiful soft light and you can see the beautiful of the grass weave.

At night they are aways closed and they look like big blank white rectangles. That is, at night one can't see the pretty texture of the natural fiber since there is no light shining through. (On the other hand, they look lovely from outside at night time and provide just the right amount of privacy.)

A roman shade, even if made out of the same plain what grass weave material, would create more "interest" at night because of the stacking folds at the bottom of the shade..

That said, I do like the old-fashioned and elegant simplicity of roller shades.

This post was edited by francoise47 on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 15:21

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgotabme, thank you for those pics! I have looked at the various roman options but I lean towards the more tailored look of the flat. The waterfall is a close second but I showed DH examples from Houzz last night and he definitely wants flat.

maryinthefalls, I love our pink living room!! It is Farrow & Ball Pink Ground. There are certain times of the day it is not as glowy and wonderful as I would like, but overall a wonderful choice. So glad you like yours too! I understand your point on fully compressing to get the most light. We have to do an outside mount anyway since we don't have enough depth for an inside mount, so I am going to have them hang high to allow for as much window showing as possible.

mlweaving, thank you for that mock up. I did look at Smith & Noble. My choices were coming out to a lot more $. Go figure. I am trying to say away from any pattern as we have many different fabrics in that room already. We are also going to either recover or get new couches in 3-5 years.

grandma, I can't do any sheers or panels on the front window as there is no place for a rod. I generally like uniformity but I have seen some nice examples on Houzz of romans on some windows and panels on another. Just has to be done right.

sparkle, that window looks great! I will take a look at that type of option.

francoise, thank you!! I appreciate your input. Definitely an excellent point to consider.

So, a little update. I went to a local design store yesterday and they are having a window treatment sale. In less than 10 min. I picked out a great white herringbone fabric for roman shades, if we decide to go that route. DH is picking up the book today so we can see it at home. The pricing is in line with most online stores (except for the uber-budget ones) and I do like supporting local businesses when I can. We shall see if we like it. DH says the herringbone sounds interesting and that we should go with it if we like it. So, once again, the budget isn't the end all be all of choices! You guys are going to stop believing my posts when I say I want the cheapest option...

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I guess I was thinking of a tension rod for the curtain on the front window. Shades can be put on the window woodwork. Whatever you do will be nice, I am sure.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

mamorella, we have the flat type in the sunroom. I was too lazy to make seven of them or I'd have had the softer look of the waterfall, but these were inexpensive and took only a few key strokes to purchase them. I'd have had to install any I made so I figured I can be happy with them. LOL

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We did it. Pulled the trigger and ordered the flat romans in the white herringbone fabric. It is nice, the herringbone adds a bit of texture and it will be easy enough to add panels in the future if we decide to go that route.

Here is an inspiration pic:

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Vancouver Interior Designers & Decorators Enviable Designs Inc.

Showed DH to illustrate the outside mount. Well, we loved the fall of the shades as well but when I went to place the order today and asked the pricing with this type of shade, it was significantly more expensive (not quite double but not far off). So we are going flat roman, which will be more like this:

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103)

I think it will be great! Thanks for all your help!!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'm sorry it wound up costing more than you thought. Did you have to order a custom size Momarella?

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@justgottabme, it actually wasn't too bad price-wise since we went with the flat. Pricing was in line with smith & noble. Not sure if sizing is custom. Two shades are 44.5"w and 60" height and the other is 35" w by 60" height. I am excited to get them now!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

That's good. I'm looking forward to photos when you have them installed.