Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Outdoor poolside/oceanside; teak adirondack or?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Adirondack and teak is so expected, but I just don't feel like there are any interesting choices that will work... am I missing something?

Functional needs ...
The lawn between our house and the ocean undulates down to the (rocky) ocean. The land is sort of naturally terraced already and will be used in three zones:

1. Volleyball/Badminton net and (pre-existing) shuffleboard court
2. Pool/hottub with area for seating, lounging and eating (6+)
3. Oceanside seating with firepit

Aesthetics
The area is grassy, with one or two large flower beds of hyrdangea and day lilies, beach roses etc.
We have very tall deciduous trees and evergreen along each side of the property
Closer to the ocean is mostly wild grasses
We have an old stone wall across the yard, parallel to the ocean, it will probably form one boundary of the pool area
The house is an old gray and white cedar Dutch colonial, it sits on a rise
We will be using a landscape architect but we want to keep it like it is, sort of wild and rustic ... we do not want it manicured and formal. The pool will be darker and curved, and the decking will be minimal and either boardwalk or flagstone.

So we will need to buy a lot of furniture. I know it can take 12-16 weeks, and because we are buying so much I want to shop around if I can. Adirondack style is the local vernacular, and since we are keeping the look rustic, it makes sense. I also find it very comfortable. Some neighbors have white, but I think we should get teak and let it weather to gray. The furniture will be outside, uncovered, exposed to salt air for a good 4 mo.s a yr.

I don't think there is really much else to decide, which is kind of a bummer because it's a lot of money to spend without getting the thrill of picking something out! Am I missing anything?

And, who makes the best stuff?

(edited for clarity)

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 16:43

Comments (16)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If it were me, and I had the money, I'd be inclined to find someone in the Adirondacks who makes them, and has for the last 100 years, if that person/business exists. If they're teak, great. If not, after few years, I'd probably put a coat or two of marine varnish on them to protect them.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I live near the ocean also, consider planting some ivy in areas when you hire a landscaper, my brother has a compound on the cape and he had all the areas around the buildings done in low growing ivy, no mulch ever needed and it looks so great.
    We tried the teak method for a few years but we were never really comfy on them so opted for upholstered furniture done in sunbrella fabric. You haven't made any mistakes yet so you're going to continue doing just fine.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My favorite is sling. Easy to clean; lightweight; comfortable; dries quickly; good looking. Probably want a fairly heavyweight type, though. With sling, very worthwhile investing in the good stuff: Telescope, Winston, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb,
    Good idea, I have enough time to try to find someone local.

Yaya,
    I find teak comfy, maybe I have more built in padding than you. : ) But for chaises, I would get something with cushions like these:

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I love the look of teak but that said I do not believe the hype about not needing much care
    I believe it will need to be re oiled every year and being next to ocean
    maybe even more often.

I also love aluminum sling chairs but next to ocean will probably blow away.
    I also love sitting in Adirondacks but at my age have trouble getting out of them.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

THIS is what I'd get. Sling Adirondacks, commercial grade, marine grade polymer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sling Adirondacks

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 18:15

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I went to a dinner a few weeks ago at a manâÂÂs house that collects antique nautical things from ships from around the world. His outdoor seating area near the fire pit was all made from parts of old ships. There was faded letters and such and a variety of faded paint colorsâ¦very cool artsy and rustic. There is apparently a small company (in another country) who repurposes old ships into outdoor seating and they send it worldwide.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lyban,
    We have a ton of teak outdoors here in CT, some from our last house, and some we bought from the PO here. And the hype is totally true, and least with our stuff. As long as you like it grey, you never have to do anything at all with it. If you like the blonde look of new teak, you need to oil it every year.
    You make a good point about the deep seat on Adirondacks, id not thought of that, Hmm.

Jterri, That sounds intriguing! I will have to google that.

Tibb, I bet those wear wonderfully and are good value (not inexpensive but good value IYKWIM). They also look comfy and you won't snag anything on them. I just think they won't look rustic enough. For example, this is similar to the vibe we want (and in fact probably the kind of fence we will use; split rail cedar with chicken wire).

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Not sure if this is the place but the recycled ship/boat furniture looked like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: boat ship furniture

• Sms
    9 years ago

The salt air really weathers teak quickly. You can find redwood adorondack's which weather better but polywood is a better option for durability. Check out Uwharie

• User
    9 years ago

We had Adirondacks around our fire pit and they weathered gray and I just didn't care for the look in the context of my own backyard. We didn't buy very good ones and eventually they were burned themselves---- not in the fire pit but in our burn pile. I will say that the chaise-ish ones with the foot rest parts that pull out are a total pain in the u know what. The plain chairs are the best, IMO.

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 22:36

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi KSWL,
    Something about the design of Adirondacks, to me they are the only chair that is comfy w/o a cushion, and we won't want to have cushions oceanside/fireside. We have some we have had 15 years. But the weathered gray is not everyone's taste.
    I know what you mean about the steamer chairs. If the angle is not just right, your feet dangle. And if the quality is not there, they feel about to collapse on you!

Zeitgast - Thanks for the tip!

Jterrilynn, Ahh, having been to Bali, where we saw several places with signs "Antiques made to order" I can bet big money those are fake. But still so charming! I will have to see if I can find a distributor to take a look. Not for poolside, but maybe by the firepit.

DH reminded me that one thing I do not like about teak is how heavy the dining chairs are. We have a lot of outdoor furniture here at our primary house because we have so much patio and terrace space. One of our dining sets is a teak set with armchairs, and the chairs are very hard to lift and move.

I came across this which is unusual but I really like. We have had this type of synthetic wicker from Brown Jordan and if the quality is comparable (the price is) then it will be fine. I like the flexibility of the arrangement, and the fact that when its just the five of us, no one blocks the view.

{{!gwi}}

These chairs don't have arms, and this is shown sans bench

{{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Love the first set you found, Mtn.. it will fit beautifully with the picture you've painted for us.. and will work beautifully with your other outdoor furnishings.

Many years ago, I spent falls/summers at a glorious old cottage in NH. It had been in my (then) bf's family for generations and you could feel the years of love for the place -- a mix of family antiques, mismatched fabrics that had accumulated over the years yet all worked together.. rugs that revealed favorite gathering spots. It was a beautiful and charming collection. Your home reminds me of that lovely weekend cottage. These wicker chairs remind me of ones we had on the sun porch.. and I think they are perfect for your outdoor scape.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

That set is nice!

I do not know where the gentleman bought his boat/ship furniture. IâÂÂm sure his are the real deal as he is fussy. Also, the ones he has around his pit are much more faded. I remember him saying that he found out about this little business through a man he sometimes buys his collector ship things off of. The house is like a museum inside.

• User
    9 years ago

I like that VERY much, mtn! It is simple and looks very well made, and I love the bench option. That set is just what I like in outdoor furniture, something a bit cleaner and more modern than one's interior furnishings. Nothing can compete with nature and this doesn't try to. Great choice, even down to the colors!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks KSWL! I am pleased, too.

Jterri, Lucky him if he has found a source! That is so hard in that part of the world. It sounds like he has amazing stuff. I wish I had bought more when we visited. I did get a lot of great massages, LOL!

Funky, that is so kind of you to say, it is exactly, precisely, what I am trying to evoke. And why didn't I ever have a BF with a cool beachhouse?