Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Arranging mirrors, need some advice on placement

williamsem
10 years ago

I'm -still- working on the finishing details of our kitchen and half-bath remodel. Between my work schedule and needing to think about things a lot, it's been slow.

But...I finally picked a stencil, it came today! And the little mirrors I liked turned out to be on clearance now, so I got them too! Now, the hard (read: creative) part that I need help with.

How do I arrange these so they look good?

Here's the powder room

This one is pretty true to the wall color

It's a small room, about 54x60, so hard to photograph. The wall opposite the sink/toilet will be this pattern, in the ceiling color (so the shapes will be light, with the current wall color outlining them). This way, the pattern will be reflected in the mirrors.

The toilet wall is 54 in by 8 ft high. The toilet part is 40 inches from wall to vanity, the glass shelf is 24 inches wide and 43 inches off the floor, and the toilet tank is 16 inches.

So any suggestions about how to arrange these small mirrors on the wall?

Comments (20)

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

Are you going to stencil that pattern on the bathroom walls? If so, I think the little mirrors will get lost because they appear to be just a little bigger than the stencil pattern.

I know you're loving those mirrors, but I'd wait until you get the stencil on there to see if you even need anything above the toilet.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm just stenciling one wall, opposite the toilet/sink. My hope is the pattern will reflect in the mirrors to add some interest to that wall without having to put something big on the wall since the room is so small.

So the mirrors would be going in a plain wall. Does that change your mind? I could wait, but my will power has been worn down by this process so I may not be successful!

• mama-sweetT
    10 years ago

I really like the idea of letting the mirrors reflect the busier wall! Maybe arrange them in a pattern that matches the stencil pattern. Hope to see the finish!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I like the mirrors...notice you have three squarish and two ovalish (?). How about the squarish ones in a row with one ovalish one on top and the other on the bottom. Or like you have them pictured but with two round ones on top and three squarish ones on the bottom. I would also paint the frames white to look nice on your aqua wall. Or paint them dark like your vanity. Personally I would not have the ribbons on them....if possible....hang them on something unseen from the front.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll have to play around with them a bit. Definitely posting pics when done!

Grandmaof3, the red is just the cardboard holder. I left it on so I don't chip the edges before they are hung. I'm leaning toward keeping the ribbons as I'm using orange as an accent and they look like very light orange, but not sure yet. I'm afraid leaving the, plain, no ribbon, would look odd next to the big mirror. Thoughts?

Anyone else want to weigh in?

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I think no ribbons.....your big mirror is plain. Actually I can see a longish, narrowish art piece on that wall. See I threw another thing to the mix....lol Whatever you do will look nice with the stenciled wall.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Another vote for no ribbons even if they do match. When I first looked at the picture my eye's went directly to the ribbons, not the mirrors.

Whichever pattern you decide when you hang them, put the mirrors very close together to give them the visual effect you want.

I think they're a great idea!

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny you mention the long art, on the way back to the mirrors I stopped to contemplate just such a piece! Wasn't convinced it would work though. I have been stalking the "art" sections of Michaels, Lowes, and HD for months, just in case something pops up.

oakleyok, thanks for mentioning to keep them close together for this look. Very helpful!

I also have these to put in there, and a longer 40 inch glass shelf in a "wave" shape, which is basically just a regular shelf with a drop halfway in, like a single elongated stair.

I think I'll try to get the stenciling and mirrors set first, then see if the rest still fits. I'd love to put one of the butterflies on the short wall next to the door, where it will reflect in the large mirror.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

The butterflies are cute! One thought to give the mirrors the effect you want is to buy another set of them. Together they'd make one mirror and reflect a larger area.

I love the idea and I may have to do the same!

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the butterflies too, wish I had a few bigger matching pieces! I believe they are matted to 8x10, I'd measure but I've temporarily lost track of them in the chaos.

I can certainly get more mirrors, they were only $4 each! I guess the question would be how many would like right? What arrangement? That's the part i am struggling with most. How to make the idea work right.

I'm thinking about the mixing in the butterflies a bit. My first thought is it would be a bit much in one area, but I'm going to think about it some more.

Thanks for the suggestions! Hearing ideas here is very helpful and much appreciated.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day 1 of stenciling!

This took about 5.5 hours. I wanted to power through and get the other side area taken care of, but the stencil needs a cleaning first. So I have one side and then the top/bottom (they send a special piece for that, should be easy) then touch up left.

I like it! It actually makes the room feel bigger when you are sitting down. Will probably finish up in Sunday, or next weeken if my roller hasn't dried out by then.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well done!

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

I thought this was a cute idea if you wanted to use the ribbons.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Wow! Looks terrific - pattern and colors are both super. I especially like the little glimpse of the photographer:)

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I like lesmobo's idea. Or consider getting a vertical wall hanging, maybe something 3 dimensional. Bed bath and beyond and kohls have things that might work. Then I would hang 3 or 4 mirrors, vertically along the left side of the art work.

When I was trying to arrange different shape frames on a wall, I traced each frame on brown paper (like the shipping wrapping paper) and used fun tack to try different arrangements before hanging. This helped me a lot because you can see how shapes work together without being distracted by the differences in objects.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You know you can cut newspaper the size of the mirrors and/or pictures and use painters tape to tape them up in different arrangements to see what might work before you do the real thing...

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So many wonderful ideas, I'm still scouring the Internet looking for the right thing, be it wall art, dimensional art, or a nice rack. But at least I have some direction, so thank you!

I wanted to provide some finished pics so you can all see how it came out. I love it! I still need to touch up a little with the wall color, but most of that doesn't show in the pics.

I'm especially pleased that the shapes I had to place individually by the grab bar look like the rest, with only a single cutout there was nothing to use to align them.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So now I've got the stenciling all touched up and the shelf and butterflies are up.

And now I'm torn about the wall above the toilet. It looks like a nice spot for something, but I don't want it to look like I just filled all the wall space because it was there, if that makes sense. It also looks ok blank for the most part, but maybe it needs a little something?

Any thoughts? It took me most of the afternoon to figure out where the shelf and butterflies should go, so I'm feeling lost at this point.

Sorry for all the pics, it's so hard to get pics of a 5x5 room that provide an accurate feel for the space.

• Faux68
    10 years ago

IMO, you are done. I love it. I think you run the risk of making it too fussy if you add much more.

You did a great job!