Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kote_gw

Awkward 60's ranch floor plan, HELP!

kote
9 years ago

Hi, we just bought this cute ranch house and are very excited about being first home owners. House was built in 1969 and we are the 3rd owners. The previous owners took care of it very well, and they all had raised happy families here and we could feel the good vibe from this home when we first saw it. We are also new parents, hoping to have happy memories!

However, I have a little problem getting ideas for "Formal Living Room" and "Den(Family Room?) here.

Being a 60's Ranch house, it has a FL and a FD in the front of the house, and in order to get to the kitchen you either need to walk through these two 'formal' rooms or come across the Den. Kitchen has a breakfast nook so we can eat-in in the kitchen but I am very happy that we have a separate dining room. I love entertaining at my place.
So I want to keep the FL and FD look always clean and nice, away from daily mess that our toddler makes, would love to have books, a little bar and nice seats for adults.

But, as you see, because it has a Sun Room right off the Den and Den has two openings(Sun Room french doors and entry way from front door) through it, we have very awkward little space in there and only got one good sized wall.

I am posting previous owner's listing pictures. As you see, they had a TV by the french doors.. but we don't want it there. We want to mount our TV(46" Flat) on a wall and set couches near it. First thought having TV over the fire place, but if we make seating area around the fire place, it won't feel cozy at all because of the openings on the both sides.

So the best thing I can think of is probably having TV on the Den's wall that you can see in the 4th image(that had a blue frame with a bird painting),
or on the other side of the same wall- in the Formal Living Room.. but it won't feel cozy in FL either because FL also has 2 wide openings on the both sides. And my husband wants to get REALLY comfy when he watches TV, so if there is a TV in the room, the seats will not get FANCY. Prolly ugly soft couch that he can lay down in his underwear.. Is that what I want for FL? No.......)

Den is going to be our Family Room that me and my baby will hang out all day even rolling on the floor. So when we have guests adults can talk and drink in the FL not seeing toys and etc, and flow naturally goes to the FD for dinner. So basically guests stay in more 'formal' areas. That is what I am picturing.

But..... I am still very confused with the concept of 'Formal Living Room'. Maybe all that "Adult's formal area' theme can be a waste of space for now? I also did some research and seemed like a lot of families turn their FL into a play room until kids grow, but our FL is far from the kitchen where I spend a lot of time during the day and you can't see into FL from the kitchen. Doesn't feel safe letting a toddler play alone there, also tile flooring!. And she's already got Den and Sun Room to play in.

Well I am writing it way too long and complicated,
I just wanted to hear from others-
What would you do with your TV?
What would you use this FL next to front door for?
How would you make this awkward floor plan cozy and comfortable with all those awkward openings on the walls?

I believe our new house has potential to be nicer place without renovation. Let me hear what you think!

Thanks for reading! :)

This post was edited by kote on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 16:34

Comments (16)

• graywings123
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Could you post a floorplan or rough line drawing of how the house is laid out? It would help to put the photos into context.

The first piece of advice is to not get hung up on traditional names of the rooms. Someone else's formal dining room may turn into your TV room or your homework room.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How old is your baby? Based on my experience, you may have to adjust your expectations as to how clean and "adult" you can reasonably keep your house.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Have you considered keeping the formal livingroom a tv free zone? Reserve that room for a quite minute away from the noise of the kids ,to visit each other or company ,listen to music , reading ect.Where I grew up tvs were in the family room and thats where we spent most of our time but it was really nice to have a quite space that stayed clean and toy free to just read or have a minute away from all the noisy boys in the house.

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

Our first house is a 80's ranch, but we don't have a formal livingroom. I want to have wall to wall shelving added to both sides of our fireplace so I can stick the baskets my sons toys have to go in there so they still look nice. Unfortunately for us, I just have to pick up all the time.

Where will your family be hanging out the most? I would then just try to only contain the babies toys to that room outside of his bedroom and just keep baskets handy. I bought really cute ones from C&B. Also bought and ottoman that opens to storage.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I think the house looks cozy and comfortable, all those nice spaces! The walls seem like a reasonable size -- to me -- not small and awkward ;-) But pics can be deceiving, maybe all the furniture in the rooms in your pics are smaller scale for smaller rooms. Without a floorplan, it's hard for me to understand how the rooms really relate to each other. I like madeyna's suggestions for the spaces in your home.

I'll share my experience with children (currently my boys are 9 and 5), but I'm not sure how similar it will be as we are living in a home that doesn't have a formal living room or a den...we have a kitchen w/shared dining space, a public living room, and three bed/two bath. My kids used to play in the living room/entry, and kept the toys in their rooms. Now they share a bedroom and the unused bedroom is a play/office/exercise/storage room. They play either in the entry or the play room w/the toys, and they read wherever it's quiet (my 9 yo often reads on his bed or, if no one is in the living room, on the sofa). We have a tv in the living room and in our bedroom, but do not watch a lot of tv. Our living room is small and there really isn't a lot of space for them to play, so IF they play in there they are either jumping on the furniture (not good), watching tv or reading, or sometimes throwing stuff. When we entertain, people go into all the main rooms and kids often go into the middle bedroom for toys etc. But, honestly, we're busy and tired with kids so do not entertain often only for holidays or birthdays, and it's not a "Better Homes and Gardens" kind of presentation LOL!

I love the kitchen/den area you have. I imagine you and your baby (and maybe more?) will spend most of the time in that space. That's a great casual/play/tv space, and I think it's the type of room where you can put your DH's squishy/ugly chairs...my DH wants the same kind of chairs ;-) If I had a formal LR, I'd keep it mostly kid-free and not store their junk in there or turn it into a playroom. I hate how visitors to our home can totally see what's going on...the smallness/openness allows too much transparency for my comfort.

I think with larger homes like yours seems to be, you aren't going to be in every room every day. With children, a lot of time is spent cleaning up the various activities. I think it would be calming to have a space that just stays nice and neat, that the kids don't have a reason to go in there and spread their mess.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I agree. You say you love to entertain. Fortunately, you have extra space that you can dedicate mostly to entertaining--though you can certainly use a living room as an adult retreat during the day. The easier you make it to entertain, the more often you'll entertain.

Personally, I don't feel very welcome when I am invited over someone's house to find toys and kids junk strewn over every conceivable space, especially when it confronts you as soon as you enter the door. Unless you have no choice because you live in a small house with limited space, being greeted by a mess of toys tells me you really don't value your adult visitors very much.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Agree that the "official" names of,the rooms mean nothing, notice how the PO used the first room as a home office!

We rarely see people want to gather in a formal LR, but in the cozier room. You could do as I have seen done by many families: the dining room becomes a playroom (handy to the kitchen, toddlers love to watch the cars and bikes and dog walkers go by, and look at that wonderful windowseat you have, just toddler-height!). Then the room to the left of your front door is the dining room. Between playroom and dining you could put in a door or, more easily, hang a curtain (I'm picturing a drop-cloth curtain). As baby gets older, like school and teen years, you might even turn this into your own sitting room/mom central/"butler pantry".

The cozy room is for family tv and reading time. I'd put the TV next to the fireplace so you can see it from the kitchen. And the sunroom is for everything, reading, gathering, playing.

My friends' boys had all their Lego bricks in the sunroom, they loved the light, and there was no furniture to get in their way! The flat floor was good for building, spilling, rolling trucks. And when moms gathered, the kids played happily in the sunroom while we chatted in the connecting family room.

I,really expect that even if you want to entertain in the LR, you will be shooing people out of the FR and kitchen, so why fight it?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd assume that as long as your child is young, i.e. toddler, you'll have the kitchen/den as the main playing area, so you can keep an eye on the child but also because most young children want to have an adult close by (even if they play by themselves.) Could you use the sun room as your TV room?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

It's hard to see the flow between rooms.

Can you post a floor plan?

• kote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's rough lines for our living area. Hope this helps you to understand what Ive meant by 'awkward'.
    Orange lines are the walls that I think we can have our TV mounted on.
    Dotted lines are doors or windows. Box-looking things are built-ins(2 bookcases in FL and fireplace in Den).

+ Our baby is 17 months old girl :)
    Thank you already!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Consider putting the TV in the corner to the right of the fireplace. Then your seating area will be from the middle of the room facing the FP. You could have a small dining table in the den, leaving room at the end of the kitchen for your toddler to have her play area. OR, you could put the table at the end of the kitchen and have toys at the end of the den by the kitchen. When your children are older you can move the toys to the sunroom. This way you can maintain your formal dining and living rooms. I think your house is lovely and not awkward at all.
    PS. I just went back and read your original posts and see that you are concerned with your TV area being cozy. Perhaps you can do that with furniture placement, maybe even a sectional to create a corner.

Good luck!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I think you will spend all your time in the den & kitchen, and it will be very nice to have your FL & FD seperate & tidy for visitors & company. I'm quite envious of that set-up!

I would put the TV on the large wall you have in mind, and float the furniture, maybe a sectional, facing it. Put chairs flanking the fireplace. The sunroom will make a great playroom when your baby is older. The wall where the PO's had their TV is a great spot for a cabinet/shelves/baskets to stow toys away for now.

I think it's a great house & a very workable floor plan. Congrats!

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

what you are calling a formal living room looks like an enclosed porch that was turned into living space, I have never seen a formal living room in a home of that vintage with tile floor. I think your current 'den' was once the formal living room, it is the room with the fireplace, and that is what I would use this space for. I would turn that little front living room into your playroom/den, and put some french doors on it so when you have adult guests, you can channel the company to the large living space beyond and keep the toys and clutter closed off.

Somebody did some widening of doorways and construction on this place throughout the years, you probably got more square footage for the money than the going rate in your area due to this quirky layout, but all the better for you.

What does it look like from the front?

• kote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! Now I have a better idea for making our family room!

jlc721, I will try the way you said, and agreed that I would spend most of my time in den and kitchen.

detroit_burb,
    below is the front. I want to add window shutters in lively color and paint new color also over brick sidings. But I think I will enjoy this look a little more for now :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What a pretty house!

If you have your TV in the den, will there be too much going on with your baby, kitchen, etc.? Could you have the TV in the sun room?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Gosh that is an adorable house! I love the exterior as-is...so much personality. Congrats, what a great place to raise your family.