Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Wall Call - Help me with accessories for long LR sofa wall

jan_in_wisconsin
10 years ago

We finally received our furniture delivery, and I just want to thank those here who responded to my earlier post about pleasing my dh with a recliner in style. We all LOVE the Bradington-Young leather recliner.

Now I need help with wall art or accessories for the long sofa wall.

I like french country farmhouse and traditional style, but not too formal.

Dh is not fond of having our family photo over the buffet, and I don't mind replacing that picture with something else.

The ottoman is part of our old set, and I may replace that.

Here are some pictures:

Here are some wall art items I like.

I realize many probably will cringe at the farm animals.

I was thinking of some sort of grouping of four pictures or something. Do you have any ideas? Other art or items I could use?

Comments (20)

• teacats
    10 years ago

How about a quick change -- try the lovely landscape (now over the mantel) over the sofa .... then switch the small landscape (now over the buffet) over the chair -- and the long clock to the spot over the buffet.

THEN add a vertical line of small landscapes (two medium-sized) over the chair .....

And look for a round mirror (framed in dark brown wood) over the fireplace mantel .....

• teacats
    10 years ago

I adore the two tree photos ..... just lovely! :) And -- depending on the size -- two medium-sized co-ordinating works of art would look great over the sofa .....

But if you are looking for a "grid" of smaller artworks -- why not go for a grid of botanicals like herbs?

Or -- to add visual height to that wall -- add a tall mirror first -- and then hang small artwork (or even small dishes like butter pats) on each side -- tres French ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- pin board featuring trumeau mirrors

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

My like is the bicycle. With your collections, there are scale metal bicycles which are very well recreated, offered in different sizes, etc. I would get one with a basket on back or front and fill it with changing seasons. Similar to your grouping over the TV unit. Have seen many displays over units like yours which left me mediochroe. But really like what you have done, it feels warm and well thought out. Tells me so much about you and know you are going to find your comfort spot for the sofa wall. Love your furniture arrangement too.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Your rooms look really nice! I noticed you like trees- have you thought of a metal tree wall sculpture? There are all kinds of nice ones online. Just a thought.

I love the roosters!

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I had to open the thread because I avoid long walls over couch as much as possible -- it is a challenge!

It seems like one way to make it work is to tie in the art to the sofa in some way. Often, it's done with colors. In your case, art with some of the rust color could work.
    The color could be in the art itself, or in the mat (matte?).

I can't tell whether your selections are photos or ?? I think the 2 or 3 images you place above the sofa would be easiest to figure out if they "go" together somehow. If not the same media, then all in motion, or all closeups of heads, or all showcasing/emphasizing some kind of whitish texture (feathers, wool), or maybe just the same mat color and size. I like the sheep. I could see getting that kind of portrait of another animal or even a different sheep. Some might say sheep are too bedroomish and roosters too kitchenish. But if it's a dignified portrait it can work as well as an image of the hunt, which is totally classic.

Have you also considered some more stylized and less naturalistic/photographic animals, in keeping with the colorful, less--perfectly-representational style of the
    chickens in the fabric?

It is a stretch for me to think of over-the-sofa art. I couldn't even begin to discuss things like murals, shelves, mirror collages, sconces.

Keep us posted. Your room looks really good so far.

BTW, I see why Teacats suggested moving the clock from over the chair. The clock is long and skinny, and the chair is not wide enough to balance the clock. But, with the armoire right there you can sort of get away with having all 3 items as one grouping, and then it works better.

Maybe teacats can suggest adding something to link chair-and-clock to the armoire?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh what happiness to see replies to this thread! Thanks for the ideas.

The Etsy inspirations are all photographic art prints that can be ordered in different sizes and framed. I think the bicycle one really shares a lot of colors in the room. The two tree prints and horse print are by the same artist/photographer who digitally enhances the color and adds a cool black around the edge. They are all actual french countryside pictures, and would be made in and sent from France. I wondered if a grouping of these might work or just one large one?

jamie, I thought maybe either the top four or bottom four could work because they are by the same artist. Not sure though.
    If you have stylized suggestions, I would love to see.

Teacats, thanks for clarifying. The trees are really gorgeous images.

Nancybee, I have seen those trees. I do love trees, and we live in the country on a lot with mature trees.

The chair by the armoire is our extra in case we have visitors. It's the fun sorta fancy chair. So we put it there when not in use. Do you think a floor basket would tie it in with the armoire?

Techni, do you have an example of one of those bikes?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh what happiness to see replies to this thread! Thanks for the ideas.

The Etsy inspirations are all photographic art prints that can be ordered in different sizes and framed. I think the bicycle one really shares a lot of colors in the room. The two tree prints and horse print are by the same artist/photographer who digitally enhances the color and adds a cool black around the edge. They are all actual french countryside pictures, and would be made in and sent from France. I wondered if a grouping of these might work or just one large one?

jamie, I thought maybe either the top four or bottom four could work because they are by the same artist. Not sure though.
    If you have stylized suggestions, I would love to see.

Teacats, thanks for clarifying. The trees are really gorgeous images.

Nancybee, I have seen those trees. I do love trees, and we live in the country on a lot with mature trees.

The chair by the armoire is our extra in case we have visitors. It's the fun sorta fancy chair. So we put it there when not in use. Do you think a floor basket would tie it in with the armoire?

Techni, do you have an example of one of those bikes?

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I can't find a less representational animal that conveys the soft mood you're going for. Sorry. There's lots of Victorian looking sheep, but I don't think you want an antique look and they can sometimes be cloying. There's some French farmhouses, but they have a distant look, not at all like the portraiture of your animals.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Not helpful, but amusing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Posters of french farm stuff

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I'm a fellow lover of FC also, and you're right on track with the farm animals. I do think the pictures of the animals in your post are too modern looking. I would go with something more on the primitive side.

I have a large picture of a rabbit over the FB (shown below), and on a long wall I have a small grouping of water colored prints of the English countryside which some friends sent me from England.

I have a corbel centered on each side of the grouping. One corbel has a display plate of a big fat cow, and the other has a plate of a big fat sheep. lol. I love them! Both plates were painted by the same artist so they match.

Here's the picture of the rabbit which I've posted before but it gives you a general idea of the style for FC.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I have to stop.
    As soon as you look at the adorable goat on the cover of this book.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Portraits by Walter Schels

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jamies, no don't stop. Those links make me smile every time. The goat has completely endeared himself to me.

I do adore antiques, so your point is well taken about the modernism of the images I found. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

Oakley, I LOVE that picture! Really, you helped me gain a different perspective. I have no idea where to even look for something like that. Do you have suggestions? The downside of living out in the country is having no grocery store close by, a post office that is closed most of the time, a road that never really thaws between December and April, and limited access to shops and stores for decorating. I do almost everything online for decorating and accessorizing, but for the rare antique shop find. Would love to see your fat cow and fat sheep - Lol!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Jan, I'm in the same boat as you are. Out in the country on a dirt road, about 30 minutes from a large city, but thankfully there are other small towns 10 miles this way and that way which have some antique stores.

I do a lot of shopping on Ebay and other websites. I found the rabbit in an antique store ten miles thataway. :) Luckily these little antique stores (cheaper since they're not in the City) have facebook pages and post pictures of new items all the time. That's how I found the rabbits! I emailed them and they put it away for me until I got there.

Roosters are a big part of FC, especially in the kitchen. Which you already know because of that chair I'm going to steal when you're asleep. lol I have a large Rooster figurine on the counter which was a good price at Amazon. And a rooster print on the DR wall. The area is large enough so it's not overkill.

The plates are by Warren Kimble, which I got on Ebay. Look up his "farm animals" series. They're pricey if you buy new.

Here's a picture of the cow. Do you notice the checks? Another part of FC decorating. (I have a few black and white check things in the kitchen. Black goes with everything!)

The opposite plate has two roosters, also with checks, and the sheep is alone in another area. I thought they were together but I was wrong.

Natal turned me onto Warren Kimble. Wish she'd come back!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Jan, another tip for pictures is to put them in gold gilded frames. I wouldn't have bought the rabbit if it didn't come in that frame because they can be very expensive.

Ebay has a lot of gilded frames, some with pictures. Here are two small pictures I bought from Ebay at a ridiculous low price.

I don't use mats either if the picture is in a gilded frame. I've decided that mats are too modern for me. I'm very fickle!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oakley, I love, love everything you posted. I would love to go antiquing with you! We must be kindred spirits. I know roosters are traditionally in the kitchen. I just couldn't help it when I saw that fabric. But the red kitchen is right nearby. Lol

At least this has helped me with a direction. Now I just need sources.

I love the gilded frames. I'll have to check ebay.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Jan, I sent you an email.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

BTW, the antique store where I bought the rabbit posted another picture on FB they have for sale. It's a largish picture of a rooster similar to the rabbit picture...in a gilded frame with no mat. $50.

I'm tempted but I already have a picture of a rooster in the dining room! lol

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oakley, I did not receive the email. Can you please send it again?

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Yes. I wonder why it didn't go through? I'll zip one off now.