Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qmarker

A clock above the toilet

qmarker
10 years ago

Question ladies & advisors,

I would like to purchase a round large wall clock and hang it above the toilet in my smaller bathroom but I'm not sure if it is too large?

I have 9ft ceilings, this room is complete with bathtub, sink, etc. The area above the toilet between the end of the counter and the shower enclosure where the toilet sits is 37 inches wide. That's how much room I'd have to hang the clock. The clock is 23� inches in diameter.

Is the clock too much for that area? Nothing else would be there.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago

There is enough room to hang it--- with 7inches to spare on each side--- but I'm not sure it sends the right message, iykwim.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

And what will folks be timing? Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

My larger hall bathroom has no clock, but I keep a little travel clock on the shelf of my bathroom. I'd be lost without it. Think of how much time you're in and out of the bathroom getting ready for work or something and how easy it is to space out over your hair or some other bathroom related activity. That bathroom clock keeps me on track. I don't know about a huge one, unless it's to fill a gaping space.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about a wall clock on the bathroom wall either. But I too keep one in my chiffarobe in the cubby where my meds and general toiletries are. The cubby is usually open while I dress,ect. and I'd miss it if it wasn't there. But - if you want a clock on the wall, why not?

• busybee3
    10 years ago

it might look alittle large, but it may look great! try it.
    i had wall clocks in the kids' bathrooms when they were growing up--- they were all about 15" in diameter or less and looked fine. the ~15" clock was hung above the toilet, and would have looked fine quite abit larger!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Wish I knew where this was seen...because I want one. A working clock with all the numbers which have fallen on the bottom..."who cares". Which didn't answer your question.

I'd hang it up and see how it looks. Never considered a clock that large in a bathroom, but may work fine.

• qmarker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all comments. I agree that a clock is not a norm for a bathroom, at least not a large one. I'm planning to repaint and re-do that room but haven't been successful in finding what I was really after.

I'd really like a print or canvas print of something nostalgic, like a newspaper or a general store or collage' - something with lots of interest to look at. But no such luck so far. I think I'll keep looking.

BTW: I've always done bathrooms with something of interest to the ladies on the opposite wall and something of interest to the men above the toilet. Guess maybe I should stick to that.

I have another question but I'll do a different post.

Donna

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I understand the need for a clock in the bath for when one's hurrying to get ready and needs to know the time. But I wouldn't want one that would be taken too seriously.

Perhaps a fun clock like this:
    {{!gwi}}
    or
    {{!gwi}}

As part of a vignette

Practical...clock and robe hook in one

Or something small, less obvious and still useful.

Maybe something that is distinctly art and evocative of water

Or there is that full moon clock that glows in the dark....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I too like to have something for the guys to look at, but not too interesting. They are easily distracted from their purpose and can make a mess. Perhaps the best toilet accessory for the guys is a dot in the bottom of the pot to give them something to aim at.

We try to keep
    The bathroom neat.
    We wish you would aim
    To do the same!

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh...wherever did you find that cute "splash" clock (1st one you posted)? Cute, cute, cute!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I just pulled image off the net....but there is a splash clock available at amazon

• AnitaRn
    10 years ago

I love the idea for the "who cares" clock, I think I will add it to my project list!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

We have an 8 inch clock on the wall by the sink in our bathroom. It is great when you are getting ready to go to work or church or anywhere....tells you how much time you need to get ready. We purposely put a clock in the bathroom....and have one in our downstairs bath also.