Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine292

Granite Choices- please help

sunshine292
9 years ago

We are totally divided on the choice of granite that we're going with. We have a peninsula island and pure white cabinets with maple tumbleweed floors (medium tone maple).

Choice 1 is attached. This has definite movement and many more browns (darker). I'll attach the second choice in an additional post to this message.

We're trying to go with something that will not only look timeless but appeal to most homebuyers if we need to sell. There is a lot of granite in this kitchen so we'd appreciate any opinions and feedback.

Thank you!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (34)

• sunshine292
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Choice #2.
    Thank you in advance for any and all opinions!!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

#1 didn't come out.

• sunshine292
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry here's #1. Thanks so much in advance!!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I don't think that most home buyers like this swirly style of granite. They are more accustomed to the speckled variety.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous, but if you're looking for something that will appeal to a general population and still stun, I'd go a little more conservative and go with either black matte or a beautiful wood, cherry?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Number 1

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Gee, I was going to say, don't get granite at all. I don't like it (and of course that is of utmost importance!). But the reason I don't like it is that I do not like speckles! I think this granite looks marble-esque.

Personally, and people will throw tomatoes at me for this but I think granite has peaked and has become too common. Therefore, if i wanted to put something in now that will appeal to buyers, say, 5 years in the future, I would forecast that the common speckly granite we see most often is not the best good choice (only my opinion of course).

I like them both, slight preference for Choice #2 which looks like grey marble to me.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Curious then MTN, what do you have in your kitchen for counters?

Aside: Helping my daughter with her first place, a tiny city co op and i want to do gray corian.

• deegw
    9 years ago

If you are thinking of resale, it all depends on what is popular in your price range in your market. If I were you, I would check your real estate listings and look at the kitchens of the highest priced homes. If you see a counter trend, I expect that is what will probably be filtering down to the masses.

If you plan on selling soon, look at counters in homes in your price range and see what looks fresh and new.

If you have a lot of counter space in your kitchen, anything busy or with lots of movement is going to be overwhelming no matter how pretty it looks.

Perhaps you can use your current granite choices for an island and get something less striking for the perimeters. #2 would make a beautiful island.

• User
    9 years ago

I agree with mtn and think they resemble marble. I'm not crazy about speckled granite either, it has always seemed kind of commercial looking to me. I really like the first one. The second one is a little too dramatic for me, but I love the subtlety of the first one. Do you know its name? I would love to get marble countertops for my kitchen but know I will not be careful enough with them. This is a nice compromise.

• User
    9 years ago

I agree with mtn and think they resemble marble. I'm not crazy about speckled granite either, it has always seemed kind of commercial looking to me. I really like the first one. The second one is a little too dramatic for me, but I love the subtlety of the first one. Do you know its name? I would love to get marble countertops for my kitchen but know I will not be careful enough with them. This is a nice compromise.

• User
    9 years ago

I prefer number 2 (which is the first one that shows up:)/
    I do agree that granite may have peaked, but I am confident that it will continue to be desirable because of the functionality of it (and the beauty). It just might not have the luxury appeal that it once had.

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

I prefer number 2 as well - probably because it does look like marble for which I have a weakness.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I like # 1 better.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ellendi,
    I chose the finished for my kitchen in our home in CT about 4 yrs ago. We have hand hewn cherry, a white marble called Dolomya that looks aged, and pewter. We just did our beachhouse and there I have an unfitted kitchen so I don't have counters per se, but I did a butcher block on top of the DW, a table top of slate, and tile in the Butler's pantry.

I like Corian a lot. I went to a cooking class that has Witch Hazel Corian IIRC and I considered that.

One disclaimer about speckly granite. In some markets, granite is probably still hot. I hope i can say this in a way that does not come off snooty. But, for example, at the high end in NYC, granite is certainly not "hot" and probably officially "out", because it probably started there and is now over 15 yrs old. But, for example, if you were looking for a starter townhome in a small midwest town, a buyer would probably be happy to find granite because that product may not have been found there until recently. Does that make sense? So it probably has a few more years to run in some markets. Again, this is of course just my opinion, but the OP is asking for opinions about future resale.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I do like #1 better of the 2; they are both lovely but #2 may provide stronger reactions to potential buyers if you have a large space to cover. The stronger veining is just a bit bolder. However, I saw an open home recently with bright goldenrod counters -- even the agent couldn't figure out what they were and I could tell they were tempted to apologize for them. They were too "personal" to appeal to 98% of the potential buyers. But the home still sold

I think it's best to say that Regional markets differ, and you should check your comparables and your local higher end new builds on clues to what might be popular. I did read, however, that less boldly patterned (speckled and swirled) stone and quartz are on the rise of preference of buyers.

I hate Corian (I've had it); it's considered a sales price detractor in my market.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

"We're trying to go with something that will not only look timeless but appeal to most homebuyers if we need to sell."

If you are buying for resell, neither.

I think #2 is FAR more interesting. But I am not partial to gray.

Buy what YOU like and can afford!

• novacat_2010
    9 years ago

#1...softer

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think you should put in what you like and not worry about resale, unless you know for sure you are selling in the next year or so.

I like the swirly, dramatic slab for the island, then I would get maybe Quartz for the perimeter pulling one of the colors from the island but in a very plain pattern, letting the island be the star.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Joanie makes a good point. Otherwise, that's a lot if swirl. Or pair it with wood.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Agree with Joanie.

• novacat_2010
    9 years ago

#1...softer

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like #2 better...#1 is too striped for me. Not sure I'd like working on it up close.

• massagerocks
    9 years ago

I like choice #2 with less movement. Choice #1(the darker browner one) looks more stripey and sorta gives me a headache, especially if I were say enjoying some wine while I bake. A strong vote for what Joanie said though.

• massagerocks
    9 years ago

I like choice #2 with less movement. Choice #1(the darker browner one) looks more stripey and sorta gives me a headache, especially if I were say enjoying some wine while I bake. A strong vote for what Joanie said though.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I am in LOVE with #2! That is stunning!!!! I agree with massagerocks.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I like Joanie's idea but with #2. That's how we did our kitchen - dramatic island with subdued perimeter.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I think there might be confusion between no 1 and 2 since thier missmarked. Either way I like the first pic you posted it looks like classic marble. I cann,t see granite ever completely going out of stye its just too darn durable not to be a top consideration for a working kitchen

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

There is a quartzite named Fantasy Brown and and there is a marble called Fantasy Brown. Test, test, test. In a modern kitchen and from a looks perspective only, I might prefer the more striated one. In a transitional or traditional one, Choice 2 (which appears first in this thread, at least to me.) The more striated one seams more like a quartzite, but who knows??! So, test.
    A bunch of KDs were interviewed in an article linked by GWers about six months ago. They said that no matter what you are hearing, granite is still the most requested material for counter tops. They did not specify speckles vs. rivers vs. combinations, etc. I think the material has longevity, regardless of what the most trend-conscious audience demands.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'm in the DC area, and granite is definitely out, especially the ones with lots of movement.

• jill302
    9 years ago

Love #2.

Also, love the functionality of granite. We have granite in our kitchen and bathrooms and the upkeep has been so easy, the kitchen granite installed first 8 years ago still looks brand new.

We have been searching for a new home and the counter tops I have seen done in other materials, just do not seem to hold up as well. So although originally I was interested in trying another material in my next kitchen, I am now thinking of sticking with granite "out" or not.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I agree with mtn that those don't look like the usual granite one sees (disclaimer: have never liked the speckly stuff either). I think # 2 (first picture) is my preference, but #1 could look spectacular on an island. Also, joanie's idea is a good one.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 20:10

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I don't like either unless you're trying to make some kind of statement In which case I would go with the safer choice of the two (the less swirly one). Does you kitchen need the granite as a focal point? What's the rest of the kitchen like?

• gone_south
    9 years ago

Love #1