Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

My CL find

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

I've been wanting a new chair for my bedroom. Old one was nice but a tad small...comfy enough but not something you could curl up in or snooze in. I wanted one that was large enough for me and a cat (should we get a new one) and had a place to put my feet up. Problem with new ones are they are so large. So I hit craigslist and I found this chair and ottoman. Of course it needs reupholstery which is fine as that way I'll get exactly the fabric I want. But I'm just delighted as this one is a perfect size for the space and perfect size for me. Very comfy. Best part...$40! For both pieces!

Comments (54)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Perfect! It looks so comfortable. Can't wait to see what fabric you put on it! Do you have something in mind?

• User
    10 years ago

Great buy on a great set. I can't wait to see how you recover it.

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

Yes, please post once recovered (the chair, not you).

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Terrific bargain! Congratulations.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I haven't thought about fabric yet, but I'm going to have a lot of fun looking!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

That is a great deal! Until it's recovered, it looks great in your space, as is.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    10 years ago

Love that! Do you do your own reupholstery or have it done?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oooooh I can't wait to see the fabric you choose. I vote yes on the cat!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have the reupholstery done. Mom had the courage to try it, but I sure don't...that's too much like work! And I want the job to be well done....which mine wouldn't be...I don't have the patience for that stuff.

• theclose
    10 years ago

What a great chair and ottoman! I love the shape. Looks very comfy. Can't wait to see the transformation!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right now I'm thinking of something like fretwork or a small dot..if I can find the right color...
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Or maybe with a larger tapestry print, but the size of the print would be critical.
    {{!gwi}}

This is the room where I want the "ahhh" feeling so I have to be really careful about too much pattern or too strong a contrast...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The legs are plain dark slightly tapered rectangles. Do you think I should have bare legs or keep the skirt on both the chair and ottoman? I know the unskirted is a little more modern....

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Both pieces look to be in good shape. What a bargain!

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Congrats on your great find! I love Craigslist!

I vote for unskirted and I'd stick with a plainer fabric and use the print for an accent pillow. Many years ago I made the mistake of buying an aztec print sofa when that was the style. Needless to say, I quickly lived to regret it. I got tired of looking at that print after only a few months and my husband made me keep the sofa for years. It was so limiting; I've never been so happy to get rid of a piece of furniture. With a solid color, you can change out the throw pillow and get a new look. It's a lot easier to decorate around and change when you get tired of it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Olychick, the fabric doesn't really go in the room at all though the pic doesn't really show it. The room is off white, soft golds and grayish blues while the stripe in the chair is dark green and red. So this is temporary for sure.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I feel sleepy just looking at that chair. Wishing you many happy hours curled up in it! Great find.

I vote for pattern, FWIW!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Great find! Yes, yes, yes on getting a cat, or two would be even better!!! Good luck getting to sit on the chair though! LOL

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

Annie: this looks exactly like a small Rowe chair I bought almost 25 years ago. It's in perfect condition, just very outdated colors. I've been looking at fabric to have it recovered, but I'm always so indecisive!! I'm leaning toward a coppery orange...not sure yet if I should get a pattern or a solid. It's a bit smaller than the other chairs in our great room, so that might look weird. So it might be a guest room chair. Time will tell.

I like the small dot pattern for your chair, although it's not all that bad the way it is.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

joyce, that looks very similar...I guess its a classic as the one I bought was new in '97.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went fabric shopping today, but wasn't exactly pleased. I was thinking about this waverly matelesse ... the colors are good...the beige dot matches the wall, the blue green matches the drapes, but I looked and looked and realized it's one of those fabrics that look old and dirty even when new. That's the last thing I want, so I'll keep looking. I brought home some other swatches but need to see them in the daylight.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think you have a point.

What about a solid in a fabulous hand and color?

Who was it that did a wonderful blue chair not long ago ... photo had her son playing guitar IIRC. Something like that? Was it velvet? Mohair?

Something sumptuous for milady.

• User
    10 years ago

Matellasse is not a good fabric for upholstery, as it will sag. Leaving off the skirt will update the chair and ottoman by about 15 years. I don't know what the rest of your BR looks like so cannot recommend a print or color. Another great CL score for GW!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, here's more of the bedroom

Close up of the drapes

Close up of the bedding. (Yes I know I have to shorten the bed skirt...one of my many projects.)

So I've already got 2 patterns on the drapes, I reversed the panel fabric to make a runner for the triple dress for a 3rd pattern, then I have the pattern and stripe in the bedding and the print in the carpet, so I'm thinking solid color or one that will read solid...maybe with an embossed pattern. But definitely something that is comfortable to sit on and nice to touch. I'm looking at some textures in gold.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the first batch of swatches...they are lying on the carpet in the room.

The criss-cross pieces on the left are the existing drapes. The piece in the center is like a rib cord that has the exact colors of gold with the blue-green as the narrow rib in between. The taupe in the upper right is lower nap than a velvet but soft. The paisley is a medium weight tapestry. The embossed gold is not quite heavy-duty enough I'm thinking for this purpose. The lower left is a textured fabric that looks a bit casual to me, and the blue is the wrong color and looks boring in the room.

What do you all think?

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Out of those above, I like the middle rib the best. I think it would look great with a printed pillow. In your existing room, I like the lightness of the current chair, so find the tapestry too dark, you are right that the blue is wrong.The others....just do nothing for me.

But on first glance, I thought ...."ooh the one on the left is pretty" so I really like your curtain fabric.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I still vote for a solid color,probably a blue, in some fabulous material

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtn, you've got me so confused. On Wed you said this:
    I vote for pattern, FWIW!

I felt meh after my swatching and looking at them at home didn't improve it, so I have to do more looking. I'll head to Cheshire next week to see what I can see...and if nothing there, I could always head to Osgood's...haven't been there in years.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Annie, very comfy looking chair! Only thing I want to mention re:fabric, consider the cat! A fabric like velvet or chenille are the best since the claws don't 'catch' as easily. Those claws can do major damage, although a spray bottle of water tamed my two.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Annie, like you I'm a traditional at heart. I can't get enough of Jacquards and Damasks, but there comes a time to step outside the box, and be a little daring. When I moved into my home I purchased 2 leopard print slipper chairs for my great room~totally different from everything I had ever had!

I love this fabric, and while 'on the wild side', the colors are not. Besides, animal prints have been used for years in traditional homes. Who knew?

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pattycakes...that isn't outside the box...it's outside the cage!
    ;)

I actually like animal prints in certain settings, but again, I want to keep this room serene.

Good point about the cat claws. I had a terry robe that Cas did a number on so then I got one without the loops...much better.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Chocolate or mocha velour or suede-like fabric?

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Hahahaha.....well serene it probably ain't! I have to say you're bedroom looks almost identical to mine about a year ago~same bedding(different skirt tho), I have vintagevGodey fashion prints, and a large vintage ballroom print over the bed. Wall color looks identical. I've recently gone 'all ivory' , thinking that was more serene than the tan/blue, but of course in actuality it isn't at all. Just wanted some sort of change since it had been the same for 3 years. Today I'll be changing out the lamps, the last thing, except to find pillows that are a bit more feminine, cotton with ruffles, so not over the top lacey.

So onward and upward in your quest for fabric. Will anxiously be waiting to see what you choose!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pattycakes post a pic...I'd love to see it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, as luck would have it, we've had issues with the corian sill on our walk-in shower...it came loose...seems it wasn't installed properly and is too tight a fit. So with the heat, it swelled and warped.

Good news is it came up in one piece.
    Bad news is they don't make the Egyptian Copper color anymore.
    Good news is, I found a guy up in West Springfield, MA who can heat treat it and trim it and get it back into shape.
    Best news is it's not far from Osgood Textiles so I now have a great excuse to head up there to look at fabrics for my chair. Wahoo!

This place is huge and if I can't find it there, I can't find it.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 8:39

• maggieq
    10 years ago

That store is awesome, helped my SIL find fabric there for dining room chairs.....took forever, but oh what fun!

• User
    10 years ago

Yowza! Annie, I'm also in Mass. Where is that place, and what is it called? Wow.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's Osgood Textiles in W. Springfield. Just don't go on a Saturday as they are closed....they are open Sundays.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osgood

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually found most of the fabric for my new house there...I remember Mom and I shopping for fabrics for window treatments when the house was still 2x4s and plywood....such fun!

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie. And I apologize; you did say it is Osgood Textiles in the original post. I misread it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally got a nice sunny a.m. and time to take the pic of my craigslist chair all reupholstered and in place in my bedroom nook....it's so comfortable!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my Annie, that is just lovely. I would spend hours in that chair. Your beautiful bedroom is one of my favorites!

• peony4
    10 years ago

What a lovely place to spend an early spring morning. The chair looks great!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks holly-kay and peony!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I like it when people update us. Looks dreamy. Nicely done Annie.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful! Very tranquil feeling in that space. The bolster pillow ties in well with the window cornice.

I enjoyed the pics of the fabric store, too!

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

Just dreamy, Annie.

Can I be nosy and ask what it cost to have the chair recovered?

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

LOVE this in every way!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

The chair + ottoman was $40, the fabric was $110, and the reupholstery cost for both the chair and ottoman was $700, including new cushions, p/u and delivery. So the total was less than the cost of an equivalent chair without the ottoman.

The fun I had fabric shopping was priceless!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

That is absolutely stunning, Annie!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Anele!