Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joneyjmw

I think Im getting overwhelmed...

joneyjmw
11 years ago

Were getting ready to move into a remodel a "new to us" home, and I have made so many decisions that my brain is tired, and were not done yet...

Right now I'm having a mental debate over paint colors, I thought I had them all picked out, bought the samples, and then decided I didn't like any of them. Its a smallish house, and the kitchen, living, and dinning room are all one area, about 30x30 give or take. So far i'm installing darkish wood floors refinishing the counters to be grey and painting the cabinets and all the trim white, but Im having doubts picking a wall color, the one i was set on ended up looking like a baby boys room, so now I'm on a new color, and i'm worried it might look too dark. Its not dark by any means, i'm just thinking once its floor to celing in my room it'll look dark, its more blue/green in person...the room has a sliding glass door and a picture window facing due east, and windows on both north and south walls. I want a blue/green color, bh&g calls it "sea green" collection help me, i'm running out of tylenol...

Comments (17)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Joney, i'm not seeing any blue in the color you posted, but if you like it, you should use it. I don't see it as dark at all.

I've posted a color that has a bit more blue, and you'll also see lighter/darker colors of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW blue/green

• joneyjmw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this might be a better depiction of the color. I had a color similar to the one you posted, and when I painted a board with it it very baby blue. I liked it, but the hubs said it was "too country".

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Did you paint the sample board with two coats?

I'm so impatient and I frequently get tripped up by that since I paint the first coat and get a case of the Oh, Noes. Paint the second count and see how you like it.

L.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd go with BM palladian blue...it's not too warm, not too cool, not too blue, and would look great with white trim, dark floor and gray....

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Personally, I would dial it back some. Once you have that color on a couple of walls, it will be intense.

When you are considering using a color, it helps to google the name of the color (including the brand name) and see what others have to say about it.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I had this problem when I painted my office and the bathrooms upstairs. Some blue paint looked too baby boy blue, and the greener ones looked too green, while one grey had purple undertones.

Funny thing was, one paint that was too blue in one space looked too gray in another.

I suggest looking at sample pots as an investment, and plan on spending the equivalent of 2 gallons of paint on samples to get it right. It's so dependent on the lighting in the room and what color is bouncing off the floor. In other words - it's not your fault and we all struggle with this. It's the reason I use Ben Moore, they have a store less than 2 miles from my house (makes it easier to run back and forth for a bluer/greener/greyer color).

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I chose BM Wedgewood Grey for our bedroom, I am in love with it - a spa like calming color. It's not really grey but rather blue with maybe grey and green undertones... our bedroom is north facing if that helps.

Afternoon light:

{{!gwi}}

• joneyjmw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I painted a 2nd coat, I like the color, but yeah I think it will be intense. I like that palladian blue. I live in a pretty rural area, the closest stores to me are walmart and lowes (both about 10 min away) but I discovered the other day theres a Ben Moore near my husbands work, I will have to go pay a visit and see if I can get some help finding my perfect shade. Everytime I decide my sample wont work on my wall I start thinking about something else I can paint with it, like a chair or a shelf, so no worry of waste there :) and theyre all basically the same color pallet, so yeah :) again.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Here's tinan's Wedgewood Gray. Gray?? Where? Looks more blue/green to me, and very pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

...and Annie's Palladian Blue, which looks more green to me, or maybe it's my monitor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I went with a muddy color that is really rather nice, if you like the current, kinda modern muddy tones. It's called Rain Pebble by Allen + Roth Rain Puddle (sold at Lowes). It's grayed down and muted, looking distinctly blue on my walls. Light, but definitely not pastel. More of the green comes out with certain times of day/lighting.

It's the neutral strip in the middle on the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Pebble

• joneyjmw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went and checked out the palladian blue and had it color matched at lowes to valspar (our poedunk ben moore doesnt actually have a mixer, so i would have to wait till tomorrow even to get a sample...) anywho, I think I'm in love so far. I like the Rain pebble one too though... dagnabit!! No! I think I'm set, palladian blue it is. Although my dad thinks its a little boring 0_o my dad has never had any other color than "contractors white" in any home that hes remodeled... so I will not be accepting his oppinion. ;)

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Palladian Blue is very pretty but fairly green (at least it was in my house). How about Healing Aloe? It's a lot paler than Palladium Blue but a very pretty blue/gray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Healing Aloe

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think Palladium blue is gorgeous.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

That palladium reads very green on my monitor. I used Behr paint in Prelude in my main bath and it goes so very well with gray, very dark wood and brushed nickle. I don't have a pic of the bathroom, but I've included a link with the color.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Prelude examples[(https://www.houzz.com/products/prelude-by-behr-prvw-vr~280791)

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Another vote for Healing Aloe. IMO, easier to live with (more subtle) than Palladian Blue.