Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legacybuilder2

Is this picture too small for the easel?

legacybuilder2
10 years ago

I've never had an entryway that could be decorated other than a picture on a wall. Alas, I get one and don't know what to do..Ha Ha!

My aunt suggested I put an easel with our family portrait in this corner. I like the idea but I'm not sure if the picture is too small for that easel. What do you think?

Behind the easel is the home alarm keypad, it is distracting to me. I tried to put pics up to cover it but is that just as distracting and too busy?

I can't stand the paint color but I must live with it for now. I dont even know what it is...one minute it looks brown, the next time I look at it I see it as a burnt/rust orange. Definitely, not complementing my attempt to have a coastal/light airy home I want to attempt to create.

I'm at a loss what to do with the floors. I want to have a carpet runner but I'm not sure how big and where to place it. Am I supposed to have it from the door all the way back to the living room? Or have a rug at the door and start the runner past the stairs and go back to the doorway? I'm clueless.

Note current runner was in my last entryway.. :)

Lastly, what to do with the wall space. It is a two story foyer. DH wants a photo gallery up the stairs, but do I start it at the steps and leave that big ol' space leading to the dining room empty? Should I put anything on these other tall walls up high? If so, what would be suggestions?

Don't mind the boxes, they will be moved...we are still unpacking and guests start arriving tomorrow...eek!!!

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, I think it is. The easel seems to want a picture that is much taller than yours, and more in the "portrait" orientation, rather than the "landscape" yours is in. And so your picture sits rather low on the easel.

I kind of like the little bits you have over the keypad, at least for now. But should you be covering the keypad?

About the floor coverings:You might think of a small area rug for the foyer, with a smaller mat in front of the front door. And then take a runner down the hallway. They don't have to all match, but rather "go" together.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I was expecting something small, thinking it looks too big! It's reading that way to me, as too wide, because of the orientation, as Andee points out. Try turning it to see if that height and width works.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Is it adjustable where you can move the painting up further? I agree the easel seems to be for a taller picture. But, what a FANTASTIC photo! Is that of your family?

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andee---The home alarm is active right now and there is another one at the garage entrance. Thanks for the advice on the rugs. I don't like matchy, but I'm petrified to pick out differing rugs that "go" together. I guess I'll look on Houzz to get some ideas.

The picture does look better in portrait, but still a little small. I did check and the easel isn't adjustable. Bummer! We do have some portrait family pics, so I'll be looking through those soon.

Deeinohio--Thanks! Yes, this is my family.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The easel is pretty but doesn't fit the location...it looks like a trip hazard to me...it sort of sticks out into the foyer and blocks the French door. I'd prefer to see a long skinny piece of art on the wall.

I think the other walls can be left unfurnished, or, when you are ready to paint, do some color blocking which will emphasize the more interesting heights and angles.

• User
    10 years ago

I also think the easel is an accident waiting to happen, especially with kids, dogs, elderly people with canes or walkers, or a hurrying adult....I guess that includes everyone. Would def remove it while you have guests.

• camlan
    10 years ago

About the rug/runner issue. Friends of mine had a similar hallway setup. What they did was find some wall-to-wall carpet they liked. Then they had a large square rug made to fit the entry, a separate runner to go down the hall, and a runner for the stairs.

They taped sheets of newspaper together to lay out on the floor to determine the size of the rugs, and the carpet store cut the carpet and bound the edges for them, and installed the runner.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I agree that the easel is an accident waiting to happen. That corner is rather small and doesn't really need anything. The control panel on the wall is something many people have to deal with, and it seems esp. noticeable as it stands out against the deep strong wall color. I think putting anything else around it just makes it more obvious. If it's functional, I could live with it.

• porkandham
    10 years ago

I also think that easel needs something with a portrait orientation, and I agree that it's probably not the right thing for that corner. It really doesn't need anything, but if you feel it's lonely, what about a pretty umbrella stand with walking sticks in it?

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. Nix the easel it is.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The picture could be a bit taller.

It looks like it's in danger of being bumped if anyone uses the door next to it.