Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickij_gw

Dining Table Protector Pad

vickij
9 years ago

I have never purchased a dining table protector pad and I am at a loss as to what company to use. Do any of you have any first hand knowledge? Are there different options available? Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Comments (6)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

You need to decide if you really need one. Many tables have protective finishes that won't be harmed during a regular meal.

Then ask yourself how often you would use it.

My dining table (Ethan Allen, at least 20 years ago) came with protective pads that we use only when we use a tablecloth. Maybe 4 times a year.

When we have a larger group, I use a cover that I cut to fit our auxiliary table. When both tabLes are dressed, you can't tell which one has the less expensive padding under the table cloth. It folds up when not being used. I think I purchased it at Bed Bath and Beyond. Search for - 'cut to fit vinyl table pad' For lots of options,

ML

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I went to the fabric store and bought some fabric-backed vinyl, put it on the table and cut along the edge to make my own table pads. I have one for each size of the table, and I roll them up around a cardboard tube for storage so they don't get creases. They work great...soft on the wood, waterproof, and no lumps where a table pad folds.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I really like the more expensive table pad from Bed Bath Beyond. It is thicker than the less expensive one they sell and is easy to cut to size.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I have pads that came with the table (which is at least 50 years old). Over the summer I refinished the table, and now it's so beautiful, I don't want to cover it up!

We use place mats for daily use. If I did a formal dinner with a tablecloth, I'd use the pads.

Sorry I can't help with a supplier, but I agree with questioning whether you really need them.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I bought mine from Sentry about 13 years ago. I found that I rarely used it. The table for which I bought the pad has since been moved to the breakfast room. I bought a piece of glass cut to fit it so that I can enjoy the look of the wood and protect it at the same time. If the glass gets scratched too badly, I can always replace it. If our only activity at that table was eating, I wouldn't even have bought the glass and would have just used placemats as needed.

For the newer dining room table, I use two tablecloths or placemats. One tablecloth is an older one that is hidden under the pretty one. I tried using the flannel-backed vinyl that other posters mentioned, but found I didn't really need that much protection as I don't put hot dishes on the table. A double thickness of cloth is enough.

• nutmegger5
    9 years ago

I like Ohio Table Pad Company. They make custom table pads in several different thicknesses and colors. The one I have is covered in a wood grain pattern and is heat resistant, so I don't need to use trivets for most dishes. The pad is in hinged sections that open and connect with hook and loop tabs between each large section so they don't come apart during use, and has felt underneath and a wood grain vinyl covering. Although you can tell it's a table pad on close inspection, I tend to leave it on most of the time to protect the table top. Their prices and service are wonderful.

Then I use a soft thick felt water resistant "silencer" on top of that when I use a tablecloth. I love Annie's idea of cutting her vinyl-backed fabric to fit the table and considered doing that, but instead I tape the edges under the table with masking tape so it doesn't shift or interfere with the draping of the tablecloth.