Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lainey04

Grayish paint to coordinate with SW Blonde?

lainey04
12 years ago

I have a small, nearly empty dining room except for a Restoration Hardware British Cane dining table in Espresso finish. I also have some RH Ivory Tonal Stripe Silk drapes. I bought this stuff when I moved in 6 years ago and have never done anything with the room. In fact, the drapes are still in the package.

The rest of the first floor is SW Blonde with alot of reds, russets and golds. I am trying to move away from that look, and thought I would try to incorporate a gray and gold color scheme into the dining room and gradually move the reds/russets out of the rest of the first floor.

Does anyone know of a good grayish paint color that would work adjacent to Blonde? I could go bluish gray, greenish gray, or purplish gray.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (21)

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Just pulled out my SW fan deck:) Consider these: Lazy Gray, Krypton, Samovar Silver, Comfort Gray, Temperate Taupe, Essential Gray. Good luck!

• lainey04
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jane, I'll take a look at those!

• homeagain
    12 years ago

We recently painted our study BM Chelsea Gray. It was SW Restrained Gold before, which is one shade darker than Blonde. I mixed some leftover RG with Dove white and used that to paint the ceiling.

Here's the two colors together, in process

and here's the completed room with the painted ceiling...

• Sheeisback_GW
    12 years ago

Homeagain - I'm not usually a big gray person but that looks really SHARP! Very nice.

• lainey04
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That really turned out beautiful. Glad to see I'm not the only one getting sick of that whole Blonde, R Gold, Ivoire paint strip!

Thanks, homeagain!

Also, what color are you using for the trim? Straight Dove White? I was wondering too how BM Wythe Blue might look with Blonde.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

We have Blonde in our living room, and in the adjacent family room/kitchen we have BM Cheyenne Green, which is a green-gray. I think they work well together. Or maybe something like BM Gray Mirage? That's a little more neutral.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

homeagain, that looks beautiful!

lainey04, I vote for homeagain's look! Great color combo!

• homeagain
    12 years ago

Thanks all!

Lainey, it sounds like we have similar tastes!

Here's a photo that includes the striped silk drapes. They are a sand color with a pale olive green and tiny slate blue stripe. You can see the gray looks a little lighter on this wall with the natural light.

• lainey04
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It really helps.

Sueb20, I have a big swatch of Gray Mirage taped in my dining room now!

I am stuck with Blonde in my great room, so I have to work with it, and I think ivory and gray is the way to make it more modern. When I look around at all the reds and golds on my lower level, I wonder what I was thinking 6 years ago!

Homeagain, we do have similar tastes. My drapes are very similar to yours, except no green. Thank you for the inspiration. I feel more confident about the gray now.

Did I mention I have to turn the empty room into a nice, functional dining room by Christmas?!!

• moveoften
    12 years ago

Love your room homeagain! Trying to do my family room in similar colors. Please share where you purchased your rug and drapes? They will match perfectly in my room.

• catkin
    12 years ago

homeagain, I too, love your room! Love to see more--especially some Revere Pewter!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Another one to consider is Unusual Gray SW 7059

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

SW has some literature they recently printed with colors that all coordinate well together, the one that SW blonde is in is called I believe "neutral nuances". It may be online, I have blonde in my kitchen and picked one of these colors from "neutral nuances" for another room and it goes beautifully. I believe there are some grayed colors included in that palette.

• homeagain
    12 years ago

moveoften,

The rug was an Overstock purchase. I'd never ordered from them before and ordered the smallest rug available to be certain I liked the colors before committing. I have linked it below and it's now on sale!! The curtains were custom so I can't help you there as the fabric is no longer available.

catkin,

It's been dark and rainy here since I finished with the RP. I'll try to post photos this weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock rug

• moveoften
    12 years ago

Thank you so much homeagain. I saw a bunch of rugs on overstock but was afraid to order a rug from them . Glad you had good results. Is it a true gray color? Good luck with the rest of your painting!

• lainey04
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So glad to see this thread still going. Katrina, I will look for the Neutral Nuances palette online. I would like something that would just tell me what colors to pick!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Isn't Homeagain's place great?

I've always liked this PB DR very much. The walls are BM Weimaraner:

• catkin
    12 years ago

thanks homeagain!
    Start a whole new thread with lots of pics!! LOL!

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

Homeagain-that rug looks beautiful, but when you look at it on Overstock, it looks COMPLETELY different! (On my monitor anyway). Nice selections.

• pps7
    12 years ago

Look at BM river reflections.

I do think you want to go with a medium to dark gray. I love gray with camel/tan/yellow.