Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Paintergirl - What were you going to suggest..

User
13 years ago

for my nightstand? I'm was planning to attack it with paint over the weekend and wanted to hear what you were going to say. :)

Comments (16)

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Hi Shee! I've been following your post(s) and when I first saw the end table, I thought it was too low. In other photos, it looks fine. So, I was going to suggest something completely different: To build a base to make it higher. I've done this a couple of times for customers, but...no need to even go into that.
    Now, since you are definitely painting it black, I thought just *black* may not work with the other furniture. So, I did a paint sample and a quick sketch.
    I thought that working the metallic, like on your bedding, into the piece would tie everything together. The paint sample is a black base and a bronze glaze with a red highlight. Maybe a red pinstripe on the sides, or the top, or even as an accent color just at the drawer tops.
    Anyway, for what it's worth, here are the samples:

FYI: you will not hurt my feelings if you hate the idea. Like I said, I was on a whole diff. path till I saw your recent room layouts. May I also add how impressed I am with all your hard work!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Shee, is the white chest melamine? I wasn't sure if it was or painted white wood.

• msrose
    13 years ago

Wow, what a great sketch and a great idea!

Laurie

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Great idea! Paintergirl, you are so talented, and how very nice of you to do the drawing. Love the idea!

tina

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well lookey there! I didn't expect a sketch. Cool and thank you! It wouldn't have to be black I just figured black was a safe color. I like your idea.
    "The paint sample is a black base and a bronze glaze with a red highlight"
    I've never messed with glazing but I really want to practice because I plan on doing that with the furniture I'll be using in the furture nursery. Would you mind expanding on that a bit since I'm a newbie? A bronze glaze and highlight with red glaze also? Any brand suggestions?

Kmcg - It's pine. It was unfinished except the front drawers were painted a dark hunter green with painted shabby chic looking flowers.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

The sketch is charming. I'd frame that!

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Yes, print and frame the lovely sketch and put it in the bedroom as a memory of your decorating ordeal and the kindness of paintergirl.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Framing that is a great idea and I'm going to do it.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Oh good! That's a whole other ball of wax...:)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kmcg - Huh? Do you mean framing? As in how big, where should I put it, do I mat it? lol :)

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

I can tell you exactly how to do the glaze, and it's not that difficult. The paint and glaze (optional) you get at your paint store (quart). The tubes of metallic & red you can get at Michael's.
    I used bronze for the metallic on the sample, but you can use silver, gold, whatever. The red is cadmium.
    Also, you don't have to use black....you can use any deep color.
    I'm putting together a step-by-step for you, it should be ready soon.
    As far as the sketch, appreciate the compliments but so not worthy of framing! I read the comments a few times to see if you guys were messing with me.
    A nursery??!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aww.. we're not messing with you! I'm very serious about the sketch. Any chance you'd want to take a straight on shot of it?

"A nursery??!!"
    Ha, not pregnant yet. The idea of a baby is finally becoming more appealing to me. :) Just thinkin ahead.

You're talking those little acrylic paint bottles, right? Looking forward to the instructions. Thanks so much!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

LOL! Sorry, I was referring to your white chest NOT being melamine! That's a good thing! Love what paintergirl suggested!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Shee, here's a simple way to do the glazing...
    Once your black basecoat is done and dry, mix up your metallic glaze.
    Here's what you need:
    Metallic paint (artist's paint or latex)
    Red artist's paint for highlight
    Chip brush
    Small brush for red
    Glaze (optional)
    Bucket, paper towels, patience

Mix your glaze in the bucket. You can add the pigment to your glaze, or you can simply use water. If you choose water, test your glaze to make sure it's not too runny. You'll know if it is...it will *resist*.
    Remove drawers and do each one at a comfortable height and angle. Dip your brush in the paint. Don't immerse it, just wet the tip about 1/2 inch getting both sides. Dab excess of sides of bucket, and working from left to right, drag your brush across the surface, applying a little bit of pressure. What you're creating is a strie.
    Make sure no drips on edges (you can dab w/paper towel).
    Do all the drawers, then do the body.
    Do the top last, as you tend to lean on this part while working. I would do the 2 sides, the rails where the drawers sit and then the top.
    Keep a steady hand, and just make sure you use the same amount of glaze each time.
    If you make a mistake, you can repaint. If you make a mistake while you're applying the glaze, you can gently remove the glaze with a damp towel and start again.
    Once you get in the groove, it's a pretty simple technique on a small piece.
    Add red highlight (use right out of tube) wherever you want.
    BTW, these are right handed instructions.

I hope this helps and if you have any more specific questions, feel free to e-mail me. I can get back to you much quicker. Also, I'll scan the drawing for you for a better image.
    Good luck!!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and even post a photo! I sent you an email. Looking forward the scanned dwg. too. :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump