Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Christmas garland question

Posted by osuladybug (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 16:04

I haven't been logged in recently so I hope I am not asking a question that has already been asked. But can anyone give me ideas on how to hang garland on an oak staircase and oak balcony. We just put in a new loft and I have never done this before. I ordered what I hope is soft greenery from Ballards ( angel pine) and I really don't want to scratch up the oak!! Help!! I am decorator challenged!

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Christmas garland question

This is mine from last year on oak. I used those plastic cable ties. My garland is 3- 40ft pre-lit strands.
Photobucket

I purchased them at Costco last year. I wouldn't call them soft but they didn't leave any scratches.

o

Use ribbon and just tie a bow every few feet

o

I don't have a pic, sorry, but the way I secure mine is by twisting 2 branches of the garland together under the bannister every other stair or so.
It doesn't show and it's easy to put up and take down.
I've never had a problem with my garlands scratching anything and I use fairly inexpensive ones (I dress them up with ribbon and lights and they look beautiful).

o

I used those really soft pipe cleaners that you can get at any craft store, I got mine at Michael's in a green color, just twist some together, what ever length that you need.

o

Hi.......I have those little clips that slide over the banister. Ordered them from some catalog last winter but I think Kirkland's has them also around Christmas time. Here is a pic if you wanna peek! Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's 2007 Christmas

o

I switched several years ago from pipe cleaners to the plastic cable ties. IMHO the cable ties are easier to work with than the pipe cleaners. They really don't show, either. Especially if you "fluff" your garland! I have put garland on our oak Bannister for 17 years, and the garland has not harmed the wood (kids, on the other hand...)

o

I just ordered some clear plastic hangers from Current Catalog. So far, they seem like they are going to work great. They were about $8.00 for 10. They also have rubber on the inside so as not to scratch the woodwork.

o

Oak is a really hard wood, so you shouldn't have to worry about damaging it with any garland.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here