Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Finally finished the Laundry Room...almost.

itltrot
11 years ago

It's done enough that I can focus on a different project or three. I'd like to see something on the walls additional cabinets above the old fridge but overall I'm very happy with how it turned out.

The room wasn't bad to begin with considering I had already done quite a bit from when we moved in but it wasn't fun enough.

Here's a couple from when we closed on the house

After repairing walls, painting and installing tile floors

I wanted red washer and dyer but mine were almost new and I wasn't convinced about painting them so I painted my cabinets red instead. I love them. We made new doors to get rid of the dated arch. I also changed the hardware from ORB to satin nickel. I added glass bubble mosaic backsplash, and painted the walls a dark gray. Nixed the chandelier due to offset doors and crazy shadows.

Here's the link to my mid-project panic. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0111464922395.html?20

And here it is finally.

DH and I did start a project on the breaker box cover and still have some more to do on it.

DH is glad it's finally done enough and I'm already on to the next project but keeping my eyes open for something awesome for the walls.

Comments (19)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Very nice!
    What is the backsplash material?

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Wow, you did a great job. I love the red!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Great job !!! Love the red and the old icebox !! And the fuse box...cool ..is that you and your DH??? Very nice and love the backsplash too. It all looks wonderful. c

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I love those red cabinets. The whole room is wonderful and it is certainly "fun".

The supports under your shelf should only be 1 x 2". I dn't see any support at all under the long side against the wall. If there is nothing there, the shelf will bow in the middle from it's own weight.
    The side pieces obviously don't have to be fixed, but if you replaced those big supports with 1 x 2" cut to the proper length it would look nicer. I would paint the pieces the wall color before installing them.
    You sure did a lot of work for a laundry room but it has paid off!

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

Your laundry room came out awesome. Love that glass bubble backsplash.

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

WOW!!!! You did an amazing job! I am so impressed, and if your laundry room looks that spiffy, I would love to see the rest of the house!! Kudos to you itltrot!

• anitamo
    11 years ago

Nice and whimsical! I love the saying on the door...so true.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Very nicely done....almost makes doing laundry a pleasure....almost....

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nice job!

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Very nice! I love the old monitor top fridge. And I am horrified about what might have been in those jars on the floor in the "before" pictures.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea but it makes me happy!

cear- the tile is glass and came from this site http://www.glasstilestore.com/collection/glass-tiles/loft-glass/loft-super-white-circles-glass-tiles.html

trail- yes that is us...from a picture on an anniversary trip. DH airbrushed the silhouettes and I was supposed to do some different something around it but failed. He will probably do some more airbrush work as he gets time.

cindy- I agree the side supports should be shorter and narrower. You'd think during one of the 4 times I've painted this room, I could've fixed it. DH was hesitant to shorten them because they are currently in studs and doesn't like relying on just drywall to support anything. I do plan to add a back support to help with the center support. I'd like to add a piece of wood to the front to make it a little beefier looking.

The old fridge is awesome. Even better is that it works, has never been serviced and my family is the 2nd owner. I think I figured it out to be '31 model.

jenna- the rest of the house is definitely in progress but is finally coming around to my way of thinking. LOL

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

itltrot, the fact that hubby wanted to hit a stud explains the problem, lol. At first I thought you didn't know much about carpentry, but since you changed the cabinet doors I realized someone there knows plenty!

Under the circumstances I think just painting the supports the wall color would be a sufficient fix. The room is just adorable...I hadn't noticed the fridge but it certainly is a wonderful feature!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Btw, I'm just curious...why is the water heater on a stand? I assume it is to make it easier to service because it's behind the stairs?

• itltrot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cindy- actually we aren't guilty of the boards or shelf being installed. They were there when we bought the house. We've just never changed them. I painted them wall color once but it made the shelf look really odd floating there and being so "thin".

In our area there is a code that hot water tanks must be elevated 18" if they are garage level. Or something like that. I guess fuel vapors and pilot lights aren't friends.

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

What a great laundry room. If it's like many layouts, you go through it multiple times a day on the way to the garage, so it *matters* that it be a nice space go through!

I love the glass bubble mosaic backsplash!

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

Marvelous!!!! Love the red, love the old icebox, love the tiles, love the saying, love the wall color......love it all! Great character in what is usually a dull area.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Interesting about elevating the water heater. Thanks for the explanation. Maybe it is code here as well but our heater is in the basement. It seems one can never learn all there is to learn about home ownership!

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

Very nice! I love the red cabinets and the picture on the box is a fun idea!

• itltrot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again.

Now it's off to start the master bedroom and bathroom! Well, after I finish the hall and entry. Yikes.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks