Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

What can you tell me about air beds?

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

We need a queen size air bed. I prefer one that is less difficult to get into and out of (either "thicker" or on a frame, like the ones from Frontgate) and that are self-inflating and quick deflating. What else should I consider? Aerobed makes a ton of models, some with a memory foam cover, some with a headboard, etc. Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I do not recommend one with an internal air pump (your self inflating option). My experience is that they do not last as long as the ones that you use an external pump. Mine got small leaks around the pump, where the seam is with the plastic/vinyl bed. And you can't test to find leaks in a pool to use a patch because of the electrics.

I have a Coleman double high queen airbed. I researched the specific model numbers, one was a little bigger than other Coleman models and did not have a built in elevated head area. It can roll up and secure in itself. It has a velvet style top- critical to not slide around on it. It is wonderful. I think that I got it at Target, that or Amazon. My in laws got one and have had it for several years (7-8?), we got one based on experiencing theirs and have had it for 3 or 4 years. It has been camping several times and handled rough ground in a tent with no problems. My parents got one also.

We have two external pumps, both Coleman. One plugs into an outlet for use in a house. The other plugs into the cigarette lighter in a car for inflation at a campsite. Both will also suction the air out for rapid deflate. Both are faster filling and deflating than the self-inflating bed we had previously. They are not very big to store.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I asked basically the same question about a week ago here, if you'd like to check out the opinions and info I received, SJ.

As a result of the info I received I went ahead and ordered the EZ Bed Inflatable (Queen) Guest Bed with the Constant Comfort Pump at $299.00 today.

I first checked on Amazon to see what I could find there, as we have free shipping with their Amazon Prime. Surprisingly, I could get a better deal through Frontgate online. Right now, they have 2 promo codes available. One is for free shipping, which would have saved me $29.99; the other is for 20% off your order. I used that one and got $59.99 off the total! ****But, this promo code ends today! I got it through RetailMeNot.com, a coupon{{gwi:807}} web site.

Wish I had it already so that I could tell you personally how I like it, but it won't ship until 11/25. This is ok as I don't need it until our son arrives for Christmas. But, this bed got a huge number of great reviews. Those combined with the opinions I received here give me high hopes that this will happily suit our guest room needs.

I must say, though, that I'm not ordering Frontgate's sheets for it, as the general consensus of reviews on them said they wrinkle badly and are over-priced. I'll use one of my many sets of queen sheets for it and plan to buy a egg crate or similar mattress topper for it here locally.
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 19:55

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

We have an older model of the one linked below. It is on a frame, so it's off the ground, but uses just a standard air mattress. I have it in twin and queen - I've only slept on the twin, but my Mom has slept on the queen many times. I like that the mattress is a separate part - if it goes bad, you replace just the mattress, not the whole thing.

It also actually fits in the storage bag!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabela's cot with air bed

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I just buy the Aerobed Costco has in stock. They self-inflate and are high off the ground. I have two different ones (from different years,) and they are both similar with no issues. The positive about Costco, if that is an option, is that you could return it if you ever have an issue.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I have one of the early Aerobeds -- flat on the floor. It was fine for me (at least before I hit 50!), but I would just advise that you think about who will likely be using it. Some are better for younger bodies, and even those can be hard for younger bodies to get out of.

I really wish some brick-and-mortar stores had more of these models to test-drive (test-rest?). I know Web stores can have good exchange policies ...

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have a Coleman extra thick queen size inflatable air bed that I use when my grandsons spend time with us. It is really quite comfy for them and I can fold it up and stow it in a storage closet when they leave.

• romy718
    10 years ago

We have an Aero bed that is a double height. What makes our bed comfortable is the Novofoam topper (Costco). The Novofoam is heavy & unwieldy, actually harder to store than the Aerobed. It is comfy though.
    I'd like to own one that is on a frame.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Air beds?

Can be pretty comfortable when sleeping on one alone.

And they are cold if the room air is cold. The air in the air bed will be the same temperature as the air in the room.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County