Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthia_c39

Help! Sofa & chair work together?

cynthia.c
9 years ago

Please let me know if you think these two work together I'm not certain.
We have the sofa and are looking for a modern chair to go with.
Thanks in advance!

Comments (32)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

They appear complimentary to me.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think they would look nice together.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love those colors and textures together.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Yes. Similar lines and similar legs ...

Check out the front photo of the Mitchell Gold website ..... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mitchell Gold website

• novacat_2010
    9 years ago

i love camel and gray together. I think it"ll look fabulous, very updated

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I will be the dissenter here. I think I would prefer a chair with similar arms to the sofa (or a sofa with squared off arms as on the chair) such as the Mitchell Gold picture shows. If you click on the "Shop this room" tag, you can see better that both pieces have similar lines on the arms. Of course, if you have two of those chairs with that sofa, it could work. JMHO of course. :)

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all of you.

I hear you about the arms not being similar the problem is finding something that matches those arms in a modern style. We have some modern pieces and I didn't want something too feminine. The thing I was unsure of about the chair was the high slanted back. You can't tell about the back in the photo maybe I can post another picture.

Decisions decision and being indecisive does not help. I'm so
    Not good at this decorating thing but I want to be good!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Is the seat height of both pieces similar?

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good question. The seat height is not given. I could go measure it at the store, is that a fairly standard practice for furniture design?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love both pieces but I agree with Cyn. I don't think they work together. The back on the sofa looks low and the back on the chair is high. the only thing that the two have in common is the leg shape. I would want either the arms to be more similar or the height of the back to be similar.

This chair from Ethan Allen also has a high back but the arms are more in line with the arms on the sofa. WTBS I am not a decorator so I may be off base.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen chair

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The sofa is like Sophia Loren, the chair is like woody allen. With the right script, the movie could be very good.
    Casey

This post was edited by sombreuil_mongrel on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 9:35

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

If one seat height is much higher/lower than the other, the scale of things look off kilter and tend not to complement each other.

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There has got to be a perfect masculine leather chair for this that's not 3k!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

cynthia, where did you see the chair? I like it.

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's at West Elm.

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel so discouraged and frustrated. I have been trying to
    Find a chair for this sofa for years now.
    I am really not good at decorating apparently. If you know of a chair that would work I would so appreciate any input!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Does it have to be a recliner?

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NO. Just thought something with clean lines and a more masculine feel would compliment the rich femininity of the sofa. I don't want something to stuffy or fluffy if that makes sense.

Price is a big determining factor as well, something not over 1,200. I have looked everywhere, thrift stores ebay, craig's list....i think the main issue is me not being comfortable with my ability to pair well with the sofa.

This post was edited by cynthia.c on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 12:20

• geokid
    9 years ago

Check out Room and Board. This one might work well, but there are a lot of others.

I like the chair from West Elm and think it would go well if the proportions are correct. If the seats are similar heights and the back of the chair doesn't tower over the sofa, it will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather Chairs at Room and Board

This post was edited by geokid on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 12:34

• teacats
    9 years ago

O.K. -- see the swooping arms (and the shape of the legs) on this chair from Pottery Barn -- I think that may be the key for looking for a chair .... those distinctly swooping arms on your sofa .....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- chair -- landon upholstered

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's another possibility .... just for discussion and measurements .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Home decorators -- Fulham chair

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a swivel chair ......

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorators -- Ava swivel chair

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks...
    I found the seat height it's 18" for the chair, the sofa is about 19".
    The overall height of the sofa is about 33" and the chair is 39", how is a 6 inch difference in terms of design, would that be considered towering high or how's that work?

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another swivel ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorators -- Khloe Swivel

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU teacats.... I like the PB and the fulham chair.

• geokid
    9 years ago

Nope! I don't think 6 inches is too much of a difference. And I like that it's a recliner. Make sure you sit in it though. I looked at it for our living room but my husband wasn't comfortable in it.

The ones teacats posted are nice too!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Check out West Elm. I don't know how to post photos, but I think it's called sweep leather arm chair.

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the leather and color of the leather with gray and cream rug and possibly grey walls.

The Fulham chair would be nice in cream too but then what rug? I wouldn't want too much cream.

I was also gonna do a feature wall something like this;
    And I think the leather will work with that but not sure but then what about the Fulham chair? It's a good price! And I have two small kids so spending less would be good as I don't have to worry about things getting stained up as much.

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They have this one at west elm too but the color is clove and not cognac. The sweep arm chair only comes in elephant gray.

This post was edited by cynthia.c on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 13:05

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I'd say the leather chair is less Woody Allen, and more Steve McQueen, who would be sexy in any movie with Sophia Loren. (Woody Allen is more of a half-moon-arm art deco leather chair)

Like clothing, you don't have to have all your furniture be matchy-matchy any more. The visual weight and slim arms of the leather chair and couch are enough of a match that the pieces should work well together. The colors are neutral, so I don't expect there will be a whole lot of clashing going on in your room to begin with. This subtle difference should shine.

• cynthia.c
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks EVERYONE! you have been so much help! I am sure I will be asking alot of questions here as you are teaching me stuff I did not know.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

No you are not overacting at all. Every one has right to speak what he or she feels about his or her interiors. I couldn't see any opening for ventilation. This can make the atmosphere humid giving scope to germs and bacteria breeding.