Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Window Treatments 101

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Hi! Are there any links to something like a windows treatment 101? I'd like to know more about the different options and the pros/cons of each. Which types are better for which rooms and situations. I've browsed through Sherwin Williams and plan to have the Blinds2go rep come by once we've unpacked. However, I'd still like to get up to speed before chatting with people.

I've seen a lot of the new sheer blinds with material on both sides that are "child proof" since they have no cords? Are they easy to pull up and down? Are they easy to clean? It seems like the dust would get trapped in all that material. I rather like the venetians blinds because you can open them part way to see out, but the ones that came with the house are only partly working and we can't find all of the parts of the "awnings" for lack of a better word that go across the tops. Also, unfortunately, the kids keep pulling apart the plastic things that weight the strings down. Also, are the wooden blinds easier to clean than the metal ones?

When are curtains appropriate and which lengths are good (long vs. short)? What types are easy to take off and clean or should they be simply steamed after a certain # of weeks and does the steam get rid of the dust?

I'd love a primer that covers aesthetics and practical uses. Thank you!

Comments (3)