Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezvalet

Help with new paint for exterior

ezvalet
9 years ago

Hi all,

It's time to repaint my 6 year old (then new build) home. It's currently benjamin Moore Coastal point (i believe) and the shutters are a light sage green-don't remember...it's obviously faded a ton (florida) and gets FULL SUN all day. I'd like a new look, but unsure what would work. I would love any and all opinions and mock ups (I'm terrible at it)...I think our house could be prettier...but maybe we need to stay with the "yellowish" tone that it is now. We are on 5 acres, so no visible neighbors. Would love a body color, trim color, shutter color, and possible one for the shakes on the roof (a shide lighter than body or a shade darker)...or maybe not. Any advice is appreciated!!! Thank you!

Comments (26)

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh an heres a picture a few months after we moved in-you get a better idea of the roof color, althouth it's probably faded a little too. Thanks!

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh an heres a picture a few months after we moved in-you get a better idea of the roof color, althouth it's probably faded a little too. Thanks!

{{!gwi}}

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

While I like the colors you have originally, I think I'd do the shutters in a really dark almost black green. I'd keep the shakes the same color as the house. White trim.

I'd also keep the yellow color, I think it's very pretty. Your landscaping has filled in nicely.

oh by the way, there's a giant spider on your porch! Yikes!! ;-)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Your house is very handsome, and I think you need to base your choices on that and make it show the stature and sophistication that's there but doesn't show up now because of the muted colors.

I'd definitely go with black shutters. No if, ands, or buts.

From BM Williamsburg Collection:

Body: the GORGEOUS Gunsmith Gray

Trim: either Market Square Shell or York Gray

Front Door: BM St. George Red; Cochineal Red; Windsor Green; Tarpley Brown; Bucktrout Brown.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 16:33

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Gunsmith Gray w/black

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much. I agree, definitely dark shutters! That's tops on my list. I'm worried gray on stucco, might look like, well, stucco lol! I love gray and think it's definitely worth thinking about.

My door is stained. I'll try and find a better pic of my door and pavers on my front porch but here's one more pic from the road. I do have a wood fence that might have to get dealt with if I go more "formal"...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Nah. Fence is great.

Where's the stucco???

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And if you're wondering, those are creeping fig vines on my garage. They are staying.

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

House is all stucco except where you see the shakes. Heres a better look at the porch and door/pavers.

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, door is staying wood, pavers are red tone, creeping fig on garage, and old fence.

Would a formal gray and black work?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm doing a mockup for you, but bear with me cause it's taking some time because of all the windows!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Okay, Gray body, black shutters, ivory trim, your stained door. Gorgeous!!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Black trim around door

• nini804
    9 years ago

What a pretty house! I love what Tibbrix did...but also think white body w/black shutters would also look nice...kind of more farmhousy.

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you it's such a different look!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Another fave color combo of mine..seeing it a lot more around New England.

A few combos, so bear with me

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really really pretty!!! I just am not sure if it would work in Florida. Everyone has light and bright colored stucco or siding. I bet it would be stunning in New England!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. That doesn't look like Florida at all.

Any color combos you'd like to see? I have the template still. However, light colors don't work very well. Just a warning.

• ezvalet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about a lighter gray? Maybe one with more green undertones like the first pic? Maybe it would just look like cement? Ugh this is so hard!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I would prefer your yellow house with black shutters or maybe navy shutters.

I find the grey too dull and not happy

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I lost the template. I messed up. Sorry. I can do another one tomorrow. I'm too pooped now. Yours is kinda hard.

Light gray I think would look like cement, since it's exterior. I do think that, if you go with gray, you need some depth and a warm gray, i.e.: one with a lot of beige in it.

How about something like this?

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I love the gray/ black combo. Talk to staff at paint store. I think they will tell you anything with black in the paint will attract the sun more. OK in some areas but ? FL. Will it fade faster, cause house to be warmer? Beautiful house & setting!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If the house is insulated, which presumably it is, color shouldn't matter, right? The interior would be protected from the heat generated by the sun by the insulation in the walls. Just as the AC/heat is kept inside by the insulation.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I like the colors in that last photo Tibbrix posted with the blue-black shutters.. But then I like your original house colors too. They look very Florida/beachy to me. Of course, the view from behind the fence doesn't look beachy so I guess that doesn't matter. The fig looks great against the lighter siding color.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I really like the current color (the washed out version). If anything, I would just paint the shutters a deeper green.

Lovely home!