Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

Whimsical/Fun/Non-traditional Lighting

Boopadaboo
13 years ago

I bought a light to go over my kitchen table and HATE it. Well, I just dont' like it there, so I am going to move it to another spot in the house.

I also have two builders specials to replace. One in my foyer and one in a small hallway.

I have been looking for something to love for a long time, and DH is getting impatient with me. :)

I am thinking of something like this for over the kitchen table:

and maybe one of these for the hallway or entryway?

{{!gwi}}

I am trying to go for a less formal and cottage fun kind of vibe in my house overall if that makes any sense. :)

Any suggestions on places to look? Any inspiration pics?

Comments (21)

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I love the rabbit chandie. When I'm looking for lighting I go to a lighting store. There's ALWAYS a clearance area. I also check out antique stores. You can find some really nice lights in antique shops providing you are patient.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I love the rabbit one too!

Laurie

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Is the rabbit Tracy porter? She does some very whimsical stuff.

I think the bunny is cute but more suited to a nursery. I'd rather see a rabbit that was less cartoon in an adult fixture. I think whimsey is best donevwhen it's not terribly in your face....more subtle and unexpected.

The other choices are totally on a different bend. The colorful Chandie is cute...but not very substantial for a table fixture. The other two are more typical and formal....

I'd keep looking. Check out Tracey. And see what she has going now a days (she changes often). I love her animals and think they might appeal to you.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i like the tulip light for the hallway. don't care for the rabbit or that particular fruit chandy.
    was in a manhatten lighting store 10 years ago which had awesome colored blown glass fruit chands...very unique and cool... don't remember the name of the store...

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I keep looking! I have found a few expensive ones. Seems if you have a lot of money to spend it is easier. :)

I did look at Tracy Porter, thank you for the suggestion. I didn't see to much out of the ordinary there. I do hear you on the subtlety factor, not so sure I want it to subtle, that is not really me, and I do have a young son, and will possibly have one more some day, so I want it to be a fun vibe.

If not, I will go for something just different. I did find these as possibilities for over my kitchen table...

I have orange, blue and green fiestaware that matches butterfly drapes and would love to do some kind of butterfly thing too, but I have not been able to find any.

But I will keep looking! I just dont' want to be unhappy again with my selection.

I look at the light over the table all the time from the family room....

Butterfly drapes -

the same ones are in the family room and I kind of have an orange/blue with dark brown leather furniture thing going on.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I like the first orange one you posted above.

I have Clyde (rooster in fixture by porter) and do love the subtle whimsey. My two year old tried to feed him :). But I will say, I went to her site after you did and she's pretty hum ho this year. I loved her foxes and bird pieces of years gone by. I hope she goes back to the fun stuff.

I will say that Clyde is a Chaney people never forget and it's fun in an eating area. Everyone loves mine.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like that one too igloo! How cute that your sone tried to feed your rooster.

I found this one today and am tempted to save up. I have no idea why but I LOVE it. DH will think I am nuts.

My dad has a friend in the lighting business. I am tempted to call to see if he carries this line.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

If you're looking for inexpensive, this may not be the best suggestion. I love Anthropologie's whimsical lighting (and just about everything else they sell).

Here are a few very whimsical fixtures from Anthropologie.

• redecor8
    13 years ago

I love, love, love the first orange one you posted on Wednesday. I think it's also the one that would work the best.

• kjmama
    13 years ago

I would think scale would have something to do with your liking it or not. Can someone suggest how to choose the scale of a light fixture?

Just in terms of looks - I like the orange shade one. It is traditional with a surprise twist of the orange, so seems like it would have longer staying power? I also like the colorful crystal one, since you said you have more colorful dishes.

Good luck! Show what you pick:)

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Oh my god I love the birds but really you are talking to a girl with a chicken in her very formal dining room so what do I know. Is it ungodly expensive?

I also like a couple of those anthropolige pieces....I am redoing the servants quarters soon and I think they would be a hoot up there! The one with the teacups screams....buy me chic! (dh screams...wth are you thinking chic). Heh heh.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lucky for me DH loves the birds too. Depends on the person if the price is ungodly right? :) Compared to the prices of some of those anthropologie ones it is a baaargain. ;) it is listed on the internet for $1800 I think for the small size which is what I would need. If my dads friend carries it he usually takes a significant amount off the price depending on the line.

It is unreal the markup on lighting!

TO KJmama's point, I am not so sure about the scale, and I am wondering if I need to get a new table before I decide, but I think I love that light fixture so much I am willing to go the other way around.

I was very surprised DH loved it too. The only thing he said was shouldnt we put something like that in the DR instead? My answer was I look at the kitchen far more it is open to our family room. I want to see a piece like that all the time!

Hmmmmm after looking some more, I think that the bulbs actually have the feathers on them. that is not so good. I dont think DH would go for that. ANd what if they stopped making them. Not a well thought through design if you ask me.

I am kind of bummed. I have the link to a bulb... Am I crazy? I guess I can call a lighting store to verify.

Here is a link that might be useful: birdie lightbulb

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I have yet to pull the trigger on a light fixture for my Kitchen. I am driving DH nuts. :) But..... I think it must be fate. :) This is at the auction house a few miles from my house today.....

It needs a little work it seems and the shades are shot. Not sure I really want shades though anyway in the kitchen. Hopefully it wont' go for much. I am going to go see it and this table this morning and probably leave a bid.

Hopefully the two work together.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I love the Glenna Jean Birds and Leaves Chandelier!
    Keep us posted on the auction today~that piece may be fun, too.

• User
    13 years ago

Ok if you ask me---that monkey chandelier belongs in your room. (We will deal with the shades later:)

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Boop:
    I ADORE that chandelier! It is meant-to-be. Hopefully, not a lot of people show up and you'll get it for a song. Have you had a lot of success with absentee bidding? At our local auction house, absentee bids usually lose out to live bidders. I'd attend the auction, if at all possible.
    In any case, good luck!
    Dee

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yay. good to know I am not crazy. I really like the chandelier too, and sometimes I am kind of a kook so I never know if it is way out there. :)

In regards to absentee bids, well I usually end up in trouble when I stay at the auctions. I used to go all the time with DH when we had a larger house, no young child, and more money :) (before we went to one income so DH could stay home with DS) I usually spent too much and bought extra stuff. The auctions are such fun IMHO. So now, I leave bids. I really think about what the most I want to pay is and leave a bid. Then I don't get in to trouble.

Because I want two things I am tempted to go there but the auctions are usually 4 hours or so and I hate to be away from DS so long on the weekends. I may discuss with DH when they get up. They do have liveauction (online) bidding too and last month I got a great asian tall shelf thingie that I had been thinking about going to see. No one was bidding on it so I got it for $125. DH loves it and has already claimed it. :)

I am at least going to go see these two in person this morning.

Sheesh I am babbling. I am kind of excited to get the kitchen finished with table and chandlier and in one auction and at what seems like reasonable prices (given their estimates) and in a close place.

I have been having a heck of a time finding a nice smallish table for the kitchen area too. I think a glass top table would lighten the space up and make it not so heavy but DH does not want glass at all, and he is not usually so opinionated.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Boop:
    I was going to estimate what I thought those 2 items would go for here (central Ohio) in my earlier post and didn't. I was going to say about $325 for the chandelier and $275-300 for the table. I checked the catalog for your auction house and my estimates were within their estimates. I'm so excited for you! I used to be like you, spending too much at auctions.

There were times when, returning from an estate auction, DH would literally remove items from my car and put them in the trash.:) (You know how sometimes they make you take junk to get what you want at an estate auction to clear the property). I'm much more focused now when I go and often buy nothing.

I can't wait to see if you get them!
    Dee

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well sadly, neither looked that great in person. :( the chandelier was dull and much more coral then orange. The table was much higher then I figured and I am short. :( On the positive side, for some reason they had a bunch of orange rugs and I think I found one for my living room. I am going to bid from home on it. I didn't leave a bid. I had to measure at home first.

The picture on line looks red not orange so I never would have bid on it if I hadn;t seen it in person.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Easy for me to spend your money, boop, but if the chandie is as whimsical as you like, then a can of spray paint will do the trick.