Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcm1307

Need Exterior Design Help

dcm1307
9 years ago

So, I want to spruce up this massive eye sore of a house. The exterior is brick painted off-white, and it's just so large and monotonous, that it has zero curb appeal (not to mention all the power/cable connections in the front yard).

I need some ideas how to add some pop to this house. I'm thinking some black shutters around the top right window, staining the garage door and front door walnut, and adding window boxes below the top right window and the top left bay window. But I don't really have an eye for design. I'd love some suggestions!

Also, I'm looking for ideas to hide those ugly utility boxes and the gray foundation along the side of the house. For climate reference, this house is in South Texas.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd really love to turn this ugly duckling into an appealing property. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Cheapest things you can do are paint and landscaping. The trim is the same color as the walls. Pick something with more contrast.

Some evergreen foundation plantings of proportional size would help a lot. Make the beds at least 1/3 the height of the home, (yes, that wide) and plant in layers--taller plants at the back, medium ones in front of that, and short edgers in front. Do not plant too close to the home: make sure you leave access for cleaning and maintenance. Check the mature size of the plants and don't crowd them--they will grow. In front of those front windows--low plants only. Do not plant something in front of the windows that will get too tall and think you'll keep them short--it never happens.

Surround the utility boxes with a neat evergreen hedge, but make sure to keep a good margin of space between the hedge and the boxes, for accessibility and fire safety. (Check local codes to make sure it is legal to do a hedge around them.)

• dcm1307
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the input, hoovb.

I agree that the window trim color needs to change; however I'm not great with color schemes. My head tells me to add some contrast, but I think black/brown might look weird. On the other hand, I feel that white will be too same-y. Any ideas?

I like your hedge idea for the utility boxes. I'm having a hard time picturing the foundation plantings as far as density goes. Do you have any quick examples?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

can you invest in a plan from a good landscape architect? It would be money well spent and you can just pay for a plan and then implement it yourself over time. A good one should also have ideas for the house.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Home Depot/Lowes for one panel of 8' fencing. Install next to garage directly in front of the power boxes. Store trash cans behind the panel. You can also get two panels for more privacy.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

There is a person on the Landscape forum who will show you a mock up of how your house could look with a garden.

• awm03
    9 years ago

dcm1307, could you please take a full-frontal picture of your house? That way we can see how the architectural elements work together (or don't work together).

As for the mass on the side of the house, you could probably mask the bulk of that with an ornamental tree. Wonder what grows well in south Texas?

• mdrive
    9 years ago

i would look into having the huge grey box (is that your air conditioner?) moved to the side of the house...it is situated so close to the driveway, anything you do to obscure it will look very odd, imo