Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodie2

Beacon Gray

woodie
9 years ago

Searching for a silvery/blue color for our master b/r and liking BM Beacon Gray - haven't gotten a sample yet, I'm not past the paint chip stage yet.

Anybody know how blue it truly is? Or is it just gray. I have an eastern exposure, just slightly angled towards the north (so we get very little sun in the room) and we look directly at the ocean. I don't want the room to look dull, I would like a silvery blue look. Thanks for any comments!

Comments (11)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That Beacon Gray is beautiful. I'd get a sample pint and paint a good size on all four walls just to make sure it doesn't come off as baby-boy blue. But what a gorgeous color!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Check out BM Bunny Gray as well. If the room is east facing, obviously you're going to get a lot of sun in the morning, then none after noon. Any very light colors will be beautiful in the morning and washed out in the evening and night, so that is something you're going to be contending with.

The solution for that problem is to go with a color with an LRV in the 40 - 60 range.

• woodie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for the information, I really appreciate your advice. I don't have a Bunny Gray chip (out of 100 or 200 I already have LOL) but I'll check it out.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Anybody know how blue it truly is? Or is it just gray.

It's right on the cusp of purple-blue and blue. Its chroma is more than one which means it has a fair amount of colorfulness. Wouldn't call it "just gray". Light is boss. It's the light that will determine what color qualities are discernable to you in your space.

• woodie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funcolors, thanks so much for your comments about the light and the link to this color chart! I'll be buried in it for a while now :) Thanks!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

woodie, found this color, which I think would be gorgeous in an ocean-facing bedroom, very silvery but watery too.

BM Palace Pearl

• woodie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibrix, thank you! Sorry I just found this today, certainly didn't mean to not respond and thank you.

Still working on it - have Iced Cube Silver and Bunny Gray on the wall now and I haven't been wowed yet. Since I have all the time in the world I'm thinking I'll try Palace Pearl too :)

• Em11
    9 years ago

Our bedroom is Beacon Gray. We are east facing, but sadly not facing an ocean. It does have more of a light blue tint to it than it does gray, but not a baby nursery blue. However, I wouldn't call it silvery either. In the morning light, with the sun coming in, it is blue, but in the afternoons when the sun is on the other side of the house, the gray comes out. I absolutely love and adore it. It is such a peaceful room, tranquil and quiet. I would post a picture, but it wouldn't capture the color at all. The way we picked it out was to paint poster boards and put them up during various times of the day, next to various items in the room to make sure there was no clash, such as artwork, trim, furniture, etc.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I was looking for a similar color for my east facing bedroom. Without a BM or SW dealer nearby, I ended up using Glidden/Dulux Silver Cloud. It picks up the light amazingly well and changes such lovely colors with the time of day.

I've attached a link with photos of it in Sarah Richardson's entryway. It almost looks like two different colors, depending on the angle and light :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Cloud

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I have Ice Cube Silver on the walls in my MBR/Bath. In my light it worked really well. I have BM Simply White trim with Behr Silver Sky on the ceiling. Its a silvery blue white that I think adds something to the wall color. I put it throughout the house. It's flat paint but it seems like there is a slight sheen in the color that looks so pretty on the ceiling.
    Colors are so difficult and totally dependent on the lighting in the individual room. Good luck to you.