Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great room paint color suggestions, painter coming this week!

Posted by jenniferPA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 15:34

So I have had 2 years to think about what color to paint our two story great room, and now that the painter just called to say he can come this week, I would like any help I can get to make sure I get this right! We usually paint everything ourselves, but the height of this room makes it pretty impossible. So I would like a color that I will like for years to come.

I will attach photos, but to describe colors in the room...the TV wall we have a large light wood cabinet that looks gold in most light. Pretty neutral upholstered furniture, with some greens/blues/rust. "Dusk blue" Pottery Barn drapes, which are a deep gray/blue. Artwork over the fireplace with greens/blues, some teal accents in the room. Lots of windows and light.

The wall behind the TV cabinet we painted in SW Hopsack. At one point I had considered going dark with the room, but will most likely have the painter paint over that with the chosen color.

I have considered Kilim Beige, which I'm sure would be a pretty safe bet. Also thought of SW Comfort Gray, but it looks pretty blue on the walls and I am worried I would tire of that. I love photos of the light grays, but wonder if that would clash with the gold-ish cabinet. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great room paint color suggestions, painter coming this week!

Another photo

o

Jennifer PA,

Have you tired painting samples of Kilim Beige on the walls? We have Kilim Beige in our upstairs bathroom and it looks a little pink. In the foyer it looks completely different.

SW sells the samples for $7.00. It's well worth the cost.

o

Thanks for your input April! I am pulling out my sample collection and will definitely put a swatch on the wall.
I have some gray green samples that could be a possibility...has anyone used BM Coastal Fog or Gray Mirage?

o

I also recently tried a sample of Kilim Beige, and it definitely has a pink/fleshy undertone. At least in my house it did.

o

I have a room like yours that is painted gray mirage. I will try and post pics for you tomorrow. I have blue in another room and I will try hold something blue up to the gray mirage for you to see. Good luck!

o

I have used BM Coastal Fog-really nice. Try a sample-can change
color depending on light and what is in the room. Has a green undertone.

o

Take a look at BM smokey taupe. It's a tan-gray tone and absolutely beautiful as it changes during the day. It's totally neutral and lovely. My new favorite paint.

o

Thanks everyone! Down to my final swatch painting day! Lots more important things going on in the world today, but I will be happy when this is done.

Three contenders at the moment are Shaker Beige, Comfort Gray and Gray Mirage. I think any of the three would work, and look good at all times of day.
Yayagal, I am curious about the Smokey Taupe and wonder how it compares to the Shaker Beige.

As of last night I was leaning towards Shaker Beige. Reason being, I love my beiges and neturals on our open floor plan, but also having the foyer painted and considering Wythe Blue, Wedgewood Gray and Woodlawn Blue. If I'm brave enough to do it, I think it could add some drama/excitement for lack of better words as you come in through the front door, and sort of offset my other rooms. (Bleeker Beige to the left, Dover White kitchen straight ahead, Great Room pictured off the kitchen in the back of the house).

Any comments appreciated!

o

jenniferPA - I've never seen Shaker Beige in person, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen pictures of it that I like. I don't have any pictures of the other two, so I can't really compare. I don't know if you're just going on paint samples or if you've googled SB, but let me know if you need to see pictures and I can post some of the ones I've saved.

o

Here is my family room in Gray Mirage. For some reason, it looks a bit washed out. It's a much richer color than is showing in my pics. I put a blue pillow case next to the paint too. Not sure you have time, but I can try to take more pics later and see if I can get a better representation of the color. It really is a pretty neutral gray/green.

Here is a link that might be useful: family room

o

geogirl - Wow! Your room is almost identical to Jennifers.

o

I am assuming her house is a Pulte house, like mine! Our curtains were left by the PO's. This forum helped me figure out what to do for paint. Glad to pay it back!

o

Here's a pic of the smokey taupe.

Here is a link that might be useful: colors

o

Oh, I just saw that you are thinking of comfort grey too. I have that in my bathroom along with sea salt (the lighter version). Ok, I LOVE comfort grey, but it is a funky color that changes dramatically thoughout the day. It looks great with bright white, not as nice with cream or beige colors. It's beautiful, but difficult to work with when you are connecting with other rooms. My MB is BM Santorini blue and BM glass slipper. They flow very nicely together. However, beiges or taupes would be difficult.

Another color we have that is beautiful is BM Vale Mist. I really like it and October Mist too. Good luck!

o

Thanks all!

Geogirl, you must live next door to me, maybe you can just stop by and look at the colors! So funny how similar the rooms are, and we also seem to have similar taste in paint colors! You were lucky to inherit those nice draperies that include the top windows, for now I am just ignoring mine. Our MB is SW Rainwashed, which is probably somewhere inbetween Sea Salt and Santorini blue. Very helpful to hear your input on Comfort Gray and connecting to other rooms and beige colors. On a side note, keep me posted if you ever put something in the space above the TV, I often wonder what to do with that spot. Maybe just some moulding or trim if/when we get around to it.

Yayagal, that photo of Smokey Taupe is beautiful.

msrose, thanks for your input on the Shaker Beige...I had a sample of it already and wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do, but it's a very nice color on the wall, and I think will work nicely with my blue drapes. Although as I pointed out to my husband (as he rolled his eyes) I got those on clearance at Pottery Barn and they are something probably less permanent than the paint color.

o

LOL JenniferPa! I assume you are in PA, I'm in NY. You are "safe" from someone saying, "I was just in a house that was painted exactly like this!" My last house was done in lots of neutral beiges. It was restful, but after a while, just too boring. This time around, I need more color. As I am sure you can see, we have not been in this house long and we are still decorating. We have a lot more wall space in this house and not enough art. A spring trip to Paris should fill up the wall over one couch. I don't think I will put anything above the TV on the fireplace. After many years of trying things out, I have determined that I really only like looking at things that have some meaning to me. So, I don't put clocks and wall art, or 'stuff" that I have no conection with. Most of our art has sentimental meaning and I will wait as we collect more memories to fill up the walls rather than fill it up with HomeGoods stuff. That is just me, and I do appreciate homes that are "done". I just don't want to live in one that is not connected to my family! Hope I am making sense!

o

I have wythe blue in two of my rooms. I absolutely love it! I have had it up for 9 years and still feel the same. It looks lovely with almost all tones of wood. I wish I could use it more places. THis is my southern facing room, it goes bluer in my room than some other places. My friend just painted her bedroom this color and it goes more green for her.

I also have shaker beige in our office. It is a really nice tan, Love it as well.

Good luck! I'm in the same boat but had to tell the painter not to come yet. I've hated my paint color for 9 years, yet still don't have a color picked out. It's so hard for me!

o

Geogirl, definitely get it on filling up with stuff. A trip to Paris and bringing home some art sounds so amazing.

Legomom, thanks for the picture of the Wythe blue, so pretty in your room. I see there what I also liked in online pictures, it seems like you can bring in other colors in the room and it will look great. I have a sample of woodlawn up in the foyer now, hoping to pick up Wythe shortly to compare.

o

Something we've been saving for and tried to go a few years in a row, but something always was in the way. We are going this year!

o

I was there once in my twenties with a friend, would love to go back someday with my husband. Hope you have a great trip!

o

Thanks! Better light, better pic. Also added some more in the link above with the better light.

Here is a link that might be useful: better light

o

oops

o

Thank you! That is a great color in your room.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with Shaker Beige for the great room, and have the daring (for me) colors up on the foyer builder white walls as we speak. You can see both the foyer and the great/family room from the kitchen.

These are the colors I have up in the foyer: Woodlawn Blue, Wedgewood Gray and Wythe Blue. I like them all, but boy will this be a shake-up after having unpainted walls for 2 years. Are people going to think I'm crazy paining my foyer and upstairs hall blue-green??! Woodlawn to me seems like the safest choice, but I am leaning towards one of the other two. When next to each other, the Wedgewood reads definite blue, and the Wythe much more green. Guess I will see what they look like at night and then just flip a coin! Ha ha

o

All of those colors are beautiful, it depends on what you like best! It will look awesome when you are done! Good luck!

o

Update...painters are here. I decided on white ceilings for both areas. Shaker Beige in the family room with one wall in Lenox Tan. (The painter suggested this morning the one wall in Lenox Tan and I went with it). Foyer in Woodlawn Blue. Wanted to go with something bolder but the Woodlawn just looked like the nicest color to me in the space. Will post pics when done. Thanks all for your thoughtful help.

o

Pictures please!! Would love to see the woodlawn blue! And the two tone family room. Happy painting!

o

I love these colors that people have posted. After trying to find a color that would work for both my kitchen (with light oak cabinets) and my family room (with beige carpet and blue sofas) and agonizing like you wouldn't believe (yes for over 2 years).... the contenders were Bradstreet Beige, Shaker Beige, and countless others. I decided on Shaker beige and I truly LOVE it. The rooms are also south facing. It is a warm, happy, beige:)
love those blue walls with the beige couch. I have been thinking about that for a while and its nice to see it in real life, legomom. Love that couch by the way.(whose it it? details?)

Well just wanted to add my endorsement of shaker beige. you will be delighted.

o

sheila, I love the Shaker Beige! I have seen it mostly at night this week because it's been so dark when I get home from work, but I would describe it as very warm also. It looks almost soft gold in low light, but really gives a nice feeling to this room where we spend most of our time.

Really like the Woodlawn Blue too, although that one is taking a little more getting used to. I feel like I have some work to do tying it in to the rest of the house, if that makes sense. For example, when time/budget allows I want to replace the builder carpet on the stairs with a striped runner with a little bit of blue in it. Have seen some DIY ideas online and think we can do this ourselves. (As usual, one thing leads to another!)

I'll post pictures tomorrow when I'm home in the daylight!

o

Here are some photos of the Woodlawn blue foyer...

o

another foyer

o

Shaker Beige family room, hard to get a good picture of the color.

RE the foyer, I had the artwork up to cover some of the all white wall space until we were able to paint. Considering taking it down and leaving the space empty, or switching out for a smaller painting I have in another room that has some of the blue in it. Or possibly a black or bronze metal wall art? Any ideas appreciated!

o

Oh, and I may as well throw out one more topic for input while I'm at it. Our front door shown in the foyer picture is black, and we painted the inside of it the same black. I'm not sure how I like it with the blue. Any opinions on painting the door back to the same off-white as the door trim? Might take some work though, we used the same oil-based black paint that was used on the front/outside of the door...

o

I like your color choices! Choosing the blue for the foyer and a neutral for the family room works well. I would remove the picture in the foyer, leaving that space empty and I like the door painted black.

o

Looks great! Maybe it's my monitor, but the Shaker beige looks more yellow than I had imagined. Really like the blue foyer and your beautiful chandelier! I like the black door a lot, but I don't like the white side lights. I'd say all black or all white? Congratulations on a great job!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here