Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annsch

Metallic paint?

Ann Scheley
9 years ago

Hello all. I am considering painting my 1920's dining room ceiling with modern masters metallic paint. I would like to paint right above the picture moulding and the ceiling all the same color. Has anyone used this? If so, any advice?

Comments (17)

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the look I am after:

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bump

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I've used metallic paint in gold in a dining room--Ralph Lauren paint. (Duchesse....not available anymore.) Most recently, I had my foyer, staircase painted in a strie application using Benjamin Moore Metallic paint. I happen to like it a lot, and it wears like iron.

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd love to see pictures...? What is a "strie" application?

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I've attached a couple of pictures; the dining room was done by me about 15 years ago--I started fooling around with one corner, with a light base coat, then Italian Rose, using a wallpaper brush to show the lighter color. Absolutely didn't work, of course--I was clueless. finally found my way to glazes and the Ralph Lauren Duchesse. So, I ended up putting five different colors on the entire room, so it would be the same, ultimately. (Two would have been enough!) I hired somebody to do the foyer and up the steps. Much better job, and blends in nicely with the dining room. Strie means "striped" and basically, you start with a lighter base coat, and then put another paint mixed with a glaze on top, wiping it down with some sort of wide brush. I like the results from a wide wallpaper brush. It is a glamorous wall, I think, without being too obviously "worked." I have no idea how you would achieve that look you have posted--very beautiful, but you should find a professional for that.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

This is a look up close to the foyer--two coats--one eggshell and one glaze/metallic paint from BenMoore

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Please note--it is sideways! Sorry!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. Glamorous is right! Thank you so much for the pictures. Yes, I plan on hiring a professional. Do you find that you still enjoy the color after 15 years?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I think that's a really pretty look, and I'm guessing it would be very hard to DIY so it looks right.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Annsch: I'm old enough now to realize that I like certain colors and keep coming back to them. Gold is a really good wall color--right now, the dining room has red and gold checked silk London shades--and the sun has eaten them up. I can choose almost any other color and it will look good with the walls. Pop in new upholstery in the chairs, and I'm in business! Realize that metallic paint really is so indestructible--no hand prints, problems wiping it down--very good stuff.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Metallic paint can be quite tricky to work with. I like Modern Masters and use their products. I am not sure if the inspiration picture you posted is a glaze using MM metallics, or a " rolled" on MM metallic color ( not mixed with glaze). MM makes an extender for rolling on their metallic colors, which I have not tried. If you are attempting to do a conventional paint job- I.e., rolling on color, this can be a problem with the metallic paints because you get unsightly lap and roller lines. I have done wall glazes using MM metallics and their Extender for latex, with good success, however, SADLY, they inexplicably no longer sell their latex extender.....which is not to be confused with the extender for metallics.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

coll is correct about tricky--you really are better off spraying it on. You can't work the material--one swipe and that's it. It somehow clumps.....I'm not saying it correctly, but it is as if the metals are suspended , and if you keep moving them around they move together. So, get a pro.

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the great input and advice. I do appreciate it. I plan on talking to the very helpful guys at our local paint store too. I'm also hoping they can recommend a painter that has worked with this paint.

First, and foremost, I need to take down all my Thanksgiving decor. I'm not sure if I should take on this project before Christmas. Something inside is telling me to wait. But I'm not a real patient person. I will probably make my decision after talking to paint store guys to see what exactly is involved....

Stay tuned....

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

I love this idea! Any updates? I'm considering painting my dining room and kitchen ceiling in a silver leaf or silver metallic paint. My dining room ceiling drops a bit and is visible from the living room so I think it would look pretty cool. (Also had an uncle with a completely silver painted loft - walls and ceiling).

• steph2000
    9 years ago

We did a blue metallic paint in our bathroom, made by Martha Stewart. It was a whim. It seemed like a light, robins egg silvery blue in the sample - but once it was on the 4 walls of that small space and bouncing off of itself, it went deeper into almost teal toned. We also have very imperfect walls and I do think the metallic paint accentuated that a bit.

We tried rolling it on and it was an utter disaster. We used the sprayer and got a very even finish, ultimately.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

A friend did the inside squares of her coffered ceilings in a pale gold. It was a Craftsman era house and it looked impressive with the metallic gleam along with deep jewel-tones on the walls and metallic and jewel toned fabrics.

A lot depends on the rest of the decor - does it support the metallic or not?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH