Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Staining red oak floors?

Sms
10 years ago

Hi All

Been reading about staining red oak flooring here and it sounds like a challenge. We would like to darken the new and existing flooring we are putting in but it sounds like getting the right look takes a lot of trial and error. We are doing a long distance remodel so its all the more intimidating.

For those of you who have had success (or failures) I'd love to hear about your experiences, what you would do differently if you only knew ahead of time. Any regrets?

The flooring is pretty costly as you know so I'd hate to mess this up.

Thx in advance

Comments (4)

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Our guy applied large swatches (about 1 by 2 feet) of different combinations of stain to the actual floors after sanding so we could see the options in the actual space. Then he just sanded them off prior to applying the finish we chose.

Keep in mind that you can mix stain colors and ratios to get the nuances you want. We ended up with a combination of two colors plus a "neutral" stain in a 1:1:2 ratio, I think. We wanted to emphasize the grain and the neutral did this since the stain is absorbed disproportionately by the open grain areas.

I had looked at lots of photos online and had an idea of the look I wanted. I showed this to the flooring contractor and he brought several stains. After he applied the first one I'd comment and he'd make adjustments before the next swatch. He wrote the combinations on the floor in pencil next to each swatch so I could think about what we liked and didn't like. I think we had six or eight swatches.

Long-distance, you'd want some good photos taken in daylight and artificial light. You'd also want some time to think about it!

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Red oak is dead easy to stain. The hard part is if you want a super special custom color. If you do, you've got to be there in person to view samples. If you're OK with one of the readily sourceable plain stains, then a good professional can handle things without worry.

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks lazydaisynot and hollysprings

I was doing a bunch of research tonight and got interested in hard wax oil finishes like Rubio Monocoat. Sounds really interesting for our project.

Not sure about how well this stuff really works. Sounds too good to be true but I really like the fumed effect

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubio

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"Been reading about staining red oak flooring here and it sounds like a challenge"

Nope... it is very very easy!

We chose to keep ours natural, so no stain.
    But, the only tough thing when staining oak is picking your color.