Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

Guest room transformation + tieback ?

dgmarie
13 years ago

I've spent a long time on the transformation of this guest room.

We started with this room in all its Barbie pink insanity. We had only the prior owner's color choice and the prior-prior owners choice of window shades (which I liked):

This was the adjoining guest bathroom:

We decided to buy new bedroom furniture (obviously!). Thanks to Les for helping me decide on this set from Walter E Smith last November:

Then I chose fabrics and bedding. The bedding set came from Walmart outlet (now discontinued) and the shower curtain from Walmart's Better Homes collection (still available):

Bathroom was redone first:

Room got a new coat of paint (BM Desert Tan) and new white (as in white) triple crown moldings (furniture on order). I found some faux silk "Taupe" curtain panels at Target (still available):

And then pulled it together with the furniture, some iron work from Hobby Lobby (50% off), metal lamps from Walmart (still available), burgundy/red shades from Target (I still have ivory ones but while the ivory ones give more light, I really like the burgundy ones better):

Some artwork from Kohls (40% off):

Which leaves me with the question of these panels. They block too much window. Should I get metal tie backs? I think yes. The single window I may either cut the panel in half or pull back to one side only. The room faces West. It doesn't get much sun until afternoon.

you might think these are a bit short and you are right. We had all the windows replaced, and added larger size trim. In order to hide the shade (which are pulled up), I wanted the rod to go straight across the shade. As these aren't custom drapes, I was limited to what Target sold for lengths. I'm eh on the shortness of the drapes. It bothers me more that the drapes are a little wide. Would you get little tie backs in metal? I'd leave the panels back all the time.

Comments (36)

• User
    13 years ago

If your intention is to never use the curtains for privacy, I would definitely get decorative metal tiebacks or a nice heavy tassel tie for them. I don't think they are too wide at all. "Bunching" them with a tie back will make them look luxuriously fuller.

As to the length, I think I would sew a hem length of dark red velvet along the bottom edge of your curtains. That would add a nice touch and you could also weight the hem so that the curtains would hang better. That is always a problem with light silk. Amazing transformation of the room, btw!

• User
    13 years ago

You have done a great job with this room. I love the colors. I think tie backs would look good.

Have you considered adding a picture or something on the wall behind the lamp on the left. It looks off balance to me with nothing on that wall.

• housefairy
    13 years ago

Can't believe you don't like the bubble gum pink! LOL. It's amazing how a color change and something as small a detail as crown molding can change a room. You have very pretty color combos.

You will probably like your curtains more if you spread out your rods. Your curtains should "stack" on the outside windowsill. Also, you might consider sewing on a band on the inside down and at the bottom to get the length you need. Personally I would consider rising and extending the curtain rods and looking for a coordinating fabric to sew on the bottom.

• jenny_indiana
    13 years ago

That room sure was pink! What a wonderful transformation!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

Beautiful transformation!

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Can you mount the rods farther out beyond the window trim? That's what I would do. I would just let the drapes frame the windows, but would not use tie backs.

• ctlane
    13 years ago

I agree with terriks.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

I would also try mounting the rods further from the frame. Love the room. Turned out amazing. Where did you get the beautiful scroll above the bed? So pretty.

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The scroll is from Hobby Lobby. I think it was $25 on sale.

Hubby is not wanting to redo the rods. He doesn't want to drill more holes in the walls. It will have to be tie backs or little medalion holdbacks. It will be ok. Besides the single window only has one panel. Two would be too wide.

I thought about something behind that left lamp but wasn't sure WHAT to put there.

Now just need some guests!

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The lamps are from walmart and the shades are from target. The yhave similar lamps at target but they are cheaper at walmart. I was pleased with them at only $24 each.

• les917
    13 years ago

Lovely room, and I am still in love with that furniture. I hope Walter E Smith was as nice to deal with as I imagine.

I agree that you need to extend the rods, but you donâÂÂt need to re-hang them. Instead, get clip rings for the curtains in the same finish as the rods. That will drop your drapes a little, which wonâÂÂt hurt. Extend the rods, and then hang a couple of the rings to the outside of the mounting bracket. It will pull your drapes outward and open the window a bit more.

Putting them on rings will also pleat them a bit, which will make them stack back a little tighter. You could also have them pressed to get a little more pleating in.

I would hate to see you tie them back, because I think they will end up looking too skimpy for the size of the windows. They donâÂÂt seem to have enough volume and weight to not kind of collapse when pulled back.

The room seems bright enough. You might consider adding a lamp on the dresser as well.

IâÂÂm sure there are many here who would happily volunteer to be guests in your lovely home!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

If you do tiebacks, I would use the same element to extend the hem at the bottom, such as a band of fabric or fringe.

I do like holdbacks though. They are a little less formal to me.

• tiptopcraft
    13 years ago

I like the transformation. you should make drapes hang well, to hem a lead thread into the bottom edge.

Here is a link that might be useful: beauty home collection

• tiptopcraft
    13 years ago

tireback is must not, it makes complicated.and for the window beside the bed head,why not change to a roman shades with identical fabric?

Here is a link that might be useful: beauty home collection

• loribee
    13 years ago

No tiebacks...PRETTY room!

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

Les has a great idea - use drapery rings and it will drop the hem - probably over an inch. I agree with her too on extending your rods out past the support - I did this myself when I installed the support too close to the window.

Lovely room, really like the red shades on the lamps.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I personally don't care for tiebacks. If you are not willing to extend the rods, I would follow Les's excellent suggestion - which will also drop your drapes a bit too.

Nice looking room!

tina

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Les's idea is very good. In fact, before I even read it here I thought we might be able to make it work by extending the rods. I hadn't thought of the rings, but that would solve the problem of my in laws ripping the curtains off the walls trying to move immovable panels if I just stuffed them on either side of the bracket.

I took some photos showing potential holdbacks (I'm using thread and these would be pulled to the side trim) and using the exntended rod.

We both thought the wide open rod made it look like there was something missing across the top (I don't want to get into valances) or maybe because the pole is so thin. Do you think pulling the curtains more towards the middle a bit, plus adding rings, would complete the window? I think rings are relatively cheap at Target so that isn't an issue.

Also there is the single window by the bed. Should I cut a single drape into two pieces? Putting two drapes on that window would overwhelm it. It's shown with just one panel on it.

Also, the curtain bottoms do not have weights. I checked and there is no easy hem stitch to open so I am likely not going to cut into them to add weights.

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

I agree with Les and others that tiebacks are not the best solution. IMHO, the solution that will look the best and is the easiest is to use rings and put just a couple of them on the outside of the bracket after you extend the rods. You should extend the rods even if you do whatever else you plan to do. The rods look too short now (like you're trying to make them work, but they just barely make it), and this will help that problem. Having the rod empty in the middle does not look weird--but stuffing all the curtains all on the outside of the bracket will. I also think you need another panel on the window with only one, and once they're on rings, they'll fit nicely--the one by the bed can even overlap the window slightly. If you shift the bed over a few inches away from the window, you'll have a bit more room for the panel, and you can also have the bed out a few inches from the wall so the panel can go a bit behind the headboard if needed.

In our guest room, I put bosporus panels and was surprised that guests pulled them, even though we have 2" wooden blinds. Then I realized that I'm ok with a faint light at the window, but others like it completely dark. Do your guests a favor and allow them the option of even pulling the drapes on top of the shades if they want to--and rings will allow that easily.

If you press the panels (especially the side seams), then take narrow strips of long paper and wrap it not too tightly around the middle and bottom of the panels while they're hanging in the folds you'd like the panels to make, leave this for about a week, your panels will retain this memory and hang much better and may not need weights.

The crowning molding and paint really set that bed off and it does look beautiful and rich in there--especially if you extend the rods--smile. SO very pretty!

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok ladies, WHERE do I find 2" rings?

Target: No
    Walmart: 1 1/4" only
    Kohls: No
    ??

I don't think I want the 1 1/4" right? The pole is already 1" in diameter. A 1/4 inch doesn't seem enough room to slide it??

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I'd try JCPenney

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

out of stock. Just my luck.

I think I'll run and get the 1 1/4 inch ones from Walmart and see if I hate them too much.

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

I think the 1 1/4" will be fine, can't wait to see a picture!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Lovely transformation. I agree with Les' suggestions for the rings and extending the rods.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

My rods are 1 1/4" in diameter. I ordered my 2" rod rings from Tuesday Morning. If you do not have a TM, you can order online. However, they seem to have low inventory at the moment, which stinks because I was going to get more panels for my windows, and need more rings. :(

I cannot tell what color your rods are, but TM has the black 1 1/4 rings at a great price! Rings are expensive when you add the cost up.

Here a photo of my curtains on rings. It did lengthen the curtain for me, but I think I preferred the gathered look, although harder to open and close gathered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuesday Morning clip rings

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tried the 1 1/4 rings tonight from Walmart. They were bronze and came 7 to a pack for $5. They were very nice clips.

The problem is that they made the panels drag the floor. And now the tops of the panels are below the shades, which looks bad. The only solution is to move the rods up higher, and that is what DH doesn't want to do. We'd get into wall anchors and putting holes in a nice newly painted room. What if we measure wrong and now there's a big hole?

I guess I'm resigned to using the hold backs or tie backs.

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Newhomebuilder: I really like your room. I wish mine were as pulled together.

I was just thinking, I am not using the bedskirt for the bed set and it coordinates really well with the curtains. Maybe I should just cut some strips from that fabric? I wonder if it will look dorky or out of place in the room.

• bac717
    13 years ago

Don't give up yet!!! I don't know how much the panels drag on the floor, but I may have another idea for you to try. Can you remove the clips from the rings? Some rings have a small loop to which the clip is attached. If you remove the clip and use a drapery pin on the small loop, you may raise the panel up enough to cover the shade and clear the floor. The curved part of the drapery pin goes thru the small loop and the straight part of the drapery pin goes into the panel. There won't be a gap between the top of the panel and the bottom of the ring. I'm not sure I've explained this well and unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to illustrate this, but maybe someone else does.

I'm also wondering if your rods are adjustable? Can you make them wider and keep the brackets in the same location? You would be able to get your extra width that way.

You've done a wonderful job on the room!

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Thank you for the compliment!

My curtains also dragged the floor when I hung the panels straight from the clips. I did not like the look of the space between the rings and the panels, nor did I like the look of the clips showing.

Instead of clipping at the very top of the panel, I caught some fabric from behind the curtain panel. This raised the curtain up again, while also hiding the clips. I never thought about trying bac717 trick. I may look into that, and maybe I would be happier with the way the curtains hang.

Another thing you could try is to fold over some fabric at the top, and then clip.

I think a band of the dust ruffle would look fine, depending on the fabric and pattern.

BTW - I added weights to my panels. I did not have an opening. The weights I bought came in a small cotton covering, with a bit of fabric at the edge. All I did was pin them onto the bottom edges with small safety pins (you could sew them on.) The weights do not show.

• hoyamom
    13 years ago

My husband says the same thing - he won't put more holes in the walls so I can put the drapes up and make them look nicer in my guest room. Irritating.
    Love your room.

• Jeane Gallo
    13 years ago

I love what you've done for the room. My suggestion is to only use the metal tieback on the window by the bed. Pull the curtain all the way across, then tie back away from the bed. Leave the other windows without tieing them back. Also, I agree that you need a large picture on the other side of the bed to add balance. It is a beautiful room.

• les917
    13 years ago

Okay, I know that your DH is not happy about moving the rods. But the old holes wonâÂÂt even show - no need to patch, as they will be behind the curtains. I really think moving the rods up will give you an overall richer look to the window treatments - and you deserve to have that effect after all the great work you have done in there. If you believe the rods are hanging straight now, just measure up from those holes, allow for the drop between the ring and the clip, and go for it.

What happens if you measure wrong for the tiebacks? Or doesnâÂÂt he know about those holes yet? LOL

I think people worry a lot about putting a few holes in the wall. To me, this is your home,and having things look the way you want them to is more important than a few holes that wonâÂÂt show.

IâÂÂll come help ya! WouldnâÂÂt he love THAT!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

The room is really lovely. What a nice transformation and relief from the pink! I vote no to the tiebacks and yes to a tieback on the window next to the bed. I don't think it will look odd since it is not on the same wall. I've seen many designer rooms with one window done with a roman shade and another done with drapes all of the same fabric. It's fine. Pull the drape back on one side, don't cut the fabric! If the all the suggestions about with hanging the drapes don't work, then I think you will have to bite the bullet and rehang the rod. You've put in a lot of effort to get it to this point. One more step until you can call it finished and you and your guests can really enjoy it!

• bama12
    13 years ago

DGmarie......did you finish your room? Loved the transformation!

• bama12
    13 years ago

Anyone know if she finished it yet? Love to see....

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha ha I was just thinking about this!

I moved the rods farther apart and nixed the thought of tie backs. I will post a photo soon. Thanks for making me remember to not leave things hanging!