Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francoise47

Traditional pinch pleat vs. Euro/tailored pleat drapes

francoise47
10 years ago

Hi All,

I'm about to push the button and order new drapes for my dining room and throught I'd "crowd source" GW for a few details.

I've picked a Robert Allen linen fabric called "Winding Leaves" in lapis. You can see a little sample hanging in the window. I have grass weave roller shades that will stay for privacy. The old RH Silver Sage drapes you see in the photo are depressing me and will be replaced by the new drapes.

My question is, should I have the drapes made with a traditional 4 inch pinch pleat, or a tailored/euro pleat that pleats/falls from the top?

I am about 75% sure I want the tailored pleat because it seems less fussy. DH also likes it. But perhaps the 4" pinch pleat looks better with such a femme fabric? I'd love to hear your thoughts on pinch pleat vs. tailored pleat drapes.

If you also want to chime in on whether or not to privacy line the drapes feel free. I am leaning toward lining, even through with the beautiful "hand" of this linen one could make an argument for not lining.

My dining room with existing drapes:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is the fabric I'll use (this is from a blog) made up into pinch pleat drapes. This is not my house or my drapes.
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Thanks very much any and all advice. (This is my first foray into the couture world of pleated drapes. Up to now I've always had off-the-rack rod-pocket drapes or drapes on clips.)

Comments (14)

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, Thanks so much for your advice. Interesting point about the euro pleat looking best with a substantial hand fabric. Perhaps that makes a case for lining the drapes.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I like the look of the euro pleat and I just did this with my dining room. My fabric was heavier than yours and as such I did not interline. I love the way they turned out. It really is a nice tailored look.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I would line them. The fabric seems just a bit sheer, and with your dark woodwork, a lining would prevent the window frame from possibly showing through. I wouldn't interline, them, however; just choose a nice lining as close to the fabric color as you can get.

Looking at the width of your current panels and your nicely covered radiator, I am guessing that you don't plan to close them - they'll hang straight at the edges of the windows?

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mamorella -- thanks for the vote for the euro/tailored pleat. Have you posted pictures on GW of your new dining room drapes?

My3dogs -- Thanks for your suggestion about the lining. I think you are right. You are also correct that I don't plan to close the drapes completely. When closed they will cover the two smaller windows in the window trio. The full expanse of the three window unit is 108 inches. I am planning on each side panel of drapes to "close" to about 33 inches. (The side panels I have right now feel a bit skimpy to me. And because they aren't pleated they don't look great when they are "closed".)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Just want to tell you I love the drapery material. I would have the draperies lined. Your table and sideboard are lovely and I have never seen a chandelier like yours before-very pretty!

I hope you come back with finished pictures.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Francoise, I hadn't gotten around to posting dining room pics, as the dining room isn't "done". But here are a couple:

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mamorella --

Your new dining room drapes (and dining room) are gorgeous!

The wonderful green leaf fabric looks beautiful with your gray walls. I love the way the clear curtain rod echoes the ghost chairs.

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. It gives me a much better sense of the european pleat in action.

I hope that GW will see more pictures of your dining room when you are ready to show it off.

• User
    10 years ago

IMO it all depends upon whether or not you want to showcase the rod. The pinch pleats that hang so that the very top of the rod shows look a bit fussy and confusing--- as do the Euro pleats that show the entire rod. Again, just my opinion, but I think a beautiful fabric curtain, lined so that it hangs properly and is beautifully sewn with constructed pleats of any kind should not show the rod (except the ends of the rod and the middle, of course). The unbroken line of the fabric (rod behind it) gives a much cleaner and more tailored look.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Francoise, thanks so much! I love the drapes. I actually wanted to wallpaper in that print ( a la Beverly Hills Hotel) but it wasn't in the budget, nor did it flow as well with the rest of the first floor. Maybe one day! So these drapes are my compromise. I will definitely post more pics soon.

Kswl, I agree with you on the rod issue. I wanted to showcase my lucite rods. I feel they are a bit of jewelry in the room. But in all my other rooms, showcasing only the fabric is the goal.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mamorella -- I love the fact that you drew your inspiration from the vibe of the Beverly Hills Hotel. You've created a fun and glamorous destination for partying in your own home for sure.

kswl -- very interesting point about showing (or not showing) the curtain rod. I hadn't even thought about that. Now I will!

I've just flipped through a small stack of House Beautiful and Elle Decor from the last year and see that curtain rods are almost always showing. So I guess that showcasing the rod is the current "look" and perhaps is part of the current appeal of the euro/tailored/parisian pleat.

Thanks! Now I'll need to consider whether the exposed rod is the right look or not for what I'm trying to achieve in my dining room. If I decide to cover the rod I assume that I'll need my drapes to be at least three or four inches longer -- so I need to decide before I order the drapes.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyn427, Thanks the suggestion to line the drapes. I think that I will.

And thanks for the complements on the dining room. The chandelier is a cheap vintage find (late 1920s) from a second hand store in Red Bank, NJ. It has set the tone for much of the room. The pedestal table is a 1940s Baker Furniture (also second hand) and the side board is a circa 1900 store counter. The only things new in the room are the Crate and Barrel chairs (dragged into the room after the cats destroyed our beautiful upholstered chairs) and the picture rail from West Elm. Oh yes, and the roller shades and hopefully soon the new drapes!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

"Hand": does that mean weight?

francois, I just love your dining room. That chandelier is so awesome. Why do I never find "cheap" beauties like that? :) I love the long shelf for artwork/photos.

I love love love your drape fabric! I would line it, as it shows off the pattern better, but doesn't darken the room. I had to Google both pinch and Euro pleats. I have plain panels where I added those metal hooks so they open with soft pleats. I did discover that, depending where I put the hooks, I could make the rod show or disappear. Of course, it affects the length.

I think in general I like the rod not showing (except ends and middle).

Your dining room is gonna be awesome!

• dakota01
    10 years ago

I went with the goblet pleat on my dining room drapes. They are on a large wood w/finial rod and they are hung with rings. I'm very happy with the goblet style versus the standard "pinch pleat". I also had mine made a bit longer so I could do a little puddling...My home is not traditional in style - I am going for a more transitional look, but I did want my DR drapes to be more on the formal side.