Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how should I "fix" these??

Posted by joneyjmw (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 15:15

I have two endtables that have put up with long enough. They were given to me almost 7 years ago, and I have always thought they were hideous. So I finally have the means and the time to refinish them, but I'm not sure what I should do with them. Our house is going to have light blue wall, white trim, dark wood floor, and were getting a dark colored leather sofa. Should I restain them also the be dark? Should I paint them a lighter color to contrast all the other dark? They get A LOT of use so I worry about the paint holding up. The room will also be the dinning and kitchen, the kitchen will have white cabinets, and the dinning table is a dark wood. I really dislike mixed wood tones, so I also plan on refinishing our tv cabinet mostlikly the same way. What do you suggest, Dark stain, or light paint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how should I "fix" these??

Do you have a style you prefer? They'd look cute painted white and lightly distressed, if you used oil paint they'd be pretty indestructible.

Here is a link that might be useful: white distressed table.

o

Since you said you have always thought they were hideous, have you considered the idea of just putting them on craigslist and also looking there for replacements you might like better? I had furniture in our guest bedroom that I was tired of, so sold it on CL and got replacements--headboard like new on CL for only $25, then ordered one nightstand and repurposed a lowboy previously used elsewhere in our home. I love the way this looks so much more than my initial thought of just painting the existing stuff I had, and it actually cost me nothing.

o

Here are some examples of things you could do. If a painted table fits in your decor, I think those would be great!

I love this one, with darker legs and the design around the edge that you could create with a stencil:

Your table is suited to something really fun!

o

If you don't like the lines, get rid of them. You could get new end tables off of CL for a good portion of what you would spend on paint.
They are not worth refinishing.

o

I'm not much of a craigslist fan, but I like the pic you posted olychick, they jump started my imagination. Thanks

o

Like others mentioned... you don't like them. Don't keep them.

Why invest time and money on things you never liked?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here